Justin's Rock Rarities

JC_AOR

I thought I'd start this topic in order to showcase a few of the lesser known and interesting titles in my music collection. I'm hoping to post a new album at least once per week. The albums I post are not necesarily obscure, nor are they essential listening, but hopefuly some of you will find them intersting enough to track down and add them to your own collections.

So to start with I thought I would showcase a cool little EP that I picked up off E-Bay recently.

Run Silent - Painted Ocean (EP)

imgwo.jpg

Year: 1994

Label: Independent

Track Listing:

1. Painted Ocean

2. Do You Ever

3. Emotion

4. Bring Back the Days

5. Take My Hand

6. Do You Ever (Acoustic)

Line-Up:

James Wilkinson (lead vocals/saxophone/percussion)

Darren Cooper (bass/vocals)

Andrew (A.J. Fox) Jolley (keyboards/programming/vocals)

Andrew (Ruben) Joseph (guitars/vocals)

Greg (Whitey) White (drums/vocals)

Review:

Little is known about this Aussie band. I believe they are from the town of Dubbo in central NSW and this EP is to my knowledge their only release.

Featured here are some gentle sounding Melodic Rock songs with enough keyboards to keep the AOR fans interested as well. If I had to compare them to anyone, I'd say fellow Aussie band Love 'N Rebellion, but I guess you could say there's a hint of INXS in there as well - although I might be just saying that because of the saxophone that features on 'Do You Ever'.

I'm guessing some of the other Aussie board members would have come across this EP at some stage, however, outside of Australia I would imaging this CD is virtually unknown. When it does show up for auction, it usually gets little attention and sells for a couple of bucks.

For those who don't mind music at the softer end of the Melodic Rock spectrum, I'm sure you will find something to enjoy here so keep an eye out for it and maybe ask a few of the Aussie members if they can keep a look out for you as well.

img0002zg.jpg

img0001qd.jpg

Alright then, back on track...

Next up I'm posting a compilation CD which I picked up for a good price at an on-line store (can't recall which one) not so long ago. I'm not sure what made me buy this, I think I was just drawn to the cover art and wanted to take a punt on something totally random and unknown. Glad that I did.

FL Rock - Musik Aus Liechtenstein

Year: Unknown

Label: FL Records / Tyrolis CD 375 239

flrockfront.jpg

flrockback.jpg

Track Listing:

flrockinlay.jpg

Review:

Again, I know very little about this release, not even a year of release. Perhaps someone can translate the short block of text from the CD inlay for me. All I know is that this is a compilation of bands from Liechtenstein, covering lots of different styles of music with influences from Rock, AOR, Hard Rock, Rock N' Roll, Metal, Jazz and Prog. There's something for everyone on here. There are 13 tracks in total, 9 of which contain English lyrics and the remaining 4 have non-English lyrics (German I presume).

I'm hoping some of you reading this can fill me in on some more details about this compilation and the bands featured within. I'd be interested to know if any of these bands released albums or if they were just local bands that never went any further than having a track featured on here.

For those that are interested I have uploaded two of the best tracks from this disc.

The first is a song called 'Woman For Me' by Tess. This one is a fairly slow Melodic Hard Rock tune which picks up at about 3:30 with a nice guitar solo. At 6:08 minutes in length it probably runs longer than it really needs to but is a cool song none the less. Download it here.

Next is 'Lookin' For Paradise' by Secrecy. Not much to say here, just a pretty cool Hard Rock / Metal tune. Download it here.

I did a bit of searching to try and find out more about some of the bands on the FL-Rock compilation CD. I could't find much but I did find a website for the band Tess which is cool because they were my favourite band featured on that compilation. It seems they are still active having played at Rockfest in 2009. The song I posted earlier 'Woman For Me' comes from their 1991 demo tape. They also had a 1990 demo tape and a 1995 EP. Does anyone know more about this band?

Check them out here on MySpace.

l_26564b56b9a1450f8c641c3c735f5a8c.jpg

l_e15f2fc1495b4f7a9bb052ea2e71cb51.jpg

l_4dd29c73ac754ba2b36f8a3a8ce59ec3.jpg

Here you go, Justin. This is the translation of the short paragraph on the back cover:

"For bands from the princedom Liechtenstein it is difficult to present their music to a larger audience, due to the small size of their country and the lack of an own radio or TV station in Liechtenstein. This release documents the musical creativity of young formations in the princedom. 13 rock bands demonstrate a representative profile of the music scene in Liechtenstein, with tracks that range from soft rock ballads to heavy metal sound. We hope to have made a small contribution to support these young bands with this release. We wish them much success and the necessary enthusiasm to continue their musical engagement in the music scene of Liechtenstein. "

Here you go, Justin. This is the translation of the short paragraph on the back cover:

"For bands from the princedom Liechtenstein it is difficult to present their music to a larger audience, due to the small size of their country and the lack of an own radio or TV station in Liechtenstein. This release documents the musical creativity of young formations in the princedom. 13 rock bands demonstrate a representative profile of the music scene in Liechtenstein, with tracks that range from soft rock ballads to heavy metal sound. We hope to have made a small contribution to support these young bands with this release. We wish them much success and the necessary enthusiasm to continue their musical engagement in the music scene of Liechtenstein. "

Never thought the princedom Liechtenstein had any bands but my my, do they have some good ones. Probably the best one I've picked up is Lovechild which I think is either one of Ralfster's acutions or his friend Dirk, both are members of HH.

Hey Swaz, thanks for the translation. Much appreciated.

Never thought the princedom Liechtenstein had any bands but my my, do they have some good ones. Probably the best one I've picked up is Lovechild which I think is either one of Ralfster's acutions or his friend Dirk, both are members of HH.

Correct. Lovechild are from Liechtenstein as well. We saw them at UFOR, didn't we ? Their drummer destroyed the skin of his drum set right at the start and we had to wait for another 30 mins.

Correct. Lovechild are from Liechtenstein as well. We saw them at UFOR, didn't we ? Their drummer destroyed the skin of his drum set right at the start and we had to wait for another 30 mins.

was I at UFOR? wow... you've got a great memory Bernd. I guess I've been to Germany to rock out more times than I can recall. Lovechild are great!

I need to learn not to party too hard to save these memories :)

• 1 year later...
Guest runsilent

Hi there, this is Andrew Joseph from RUN SILENT. What a nice surprise to find this CD still floating around, and getting occasionally played :-)

All the best from my new home in Sweden. www.andijoseph.com