Helstar - GLORY OF CHAOS

Fat Freddy

Holy cow! How was I not aware until now that Helstar had a new CD coming out later this month?? Well, I just so happened to "like" their official page on Facebook today and got hooked up with all the straight poop.... the new album is called GLORY OF CHAOS!

47245_432405267963_272590287963_4896025_7711204_n.jpg

Record release party (with RAVEN!) is October 23rd at Backstage Live in San Antonio, Texas (of course I live nowhere near there... heavy sigh...)

36153_445474912963_272590287963_5151970_1449636_n.jpg

And two sample tracks are currently YouTubed:

"Alma Negra"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUgyUPscYFo

"Monarch of Bloodshed"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBJf0iuTMuI

Sounds to me like Rivera is stretching his vocal palette a little on this new album. I posted those vids at another forum and the first thing people asked was, "Is that James Rivera singing? Did they get a new singer?" I guess the near-death metal style on "Alma Negra" threw'em a little. Haha.

Here's a video interview w/the band where they talk about the tweaks in their sound for the new record...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YKj-OJNjYM

OMG! Is that the same band with the legendary one from the 80's? :crying: Alma Negra sucks badly, is the second in the same vein??

Yea, "Alma Negra" was kinda tough to get thru. When I first heard it, my reaction was "Uh-oh. What the f**k?" Thankfully, the other track is more "Helstar-ish."

OMG! Is that the same band with the legendary one from the 80's? :crying: Alma Negra sucks badly, is the second in the same vein??

Yea, "Alma Negra" was kinda tough to get thru. When I first heard it, my reaction was "Uh-oh. What the f**k?" Thankfully, the other track is more "Helstar-ish."

"Alma Negra" is definately different with Rivera's vocals being more like Dani Filth of Cradle of Filth in places but musically it's not much different than the heaviness of the last release 'King of Hell'.

Two more tracks have hit YouTube... I 'specially dig "Trinity of Heresy," that sounds like it could've come off of KING OF HELL, easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8sD9hrcPSM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ci_Xiijy9Q

I'm getting the feeling that "Alma Negra" is going to be the exception rather than the rule on this album. The rest of the tracks I've heard thus far have been more "typical" Helstar sounding (tho a bit thrashier/more brutal than their early stuff)

From the other 3 songs only "Trinity of Heresy" has the Helstar's identity. Pandemonium is really very modern. Unfortunately the trends in the States hit again. After the huge Pantera movement in the 90's the results of the crappy "metalcore/crappycore & all the other cores" trend are obvious...

I'll take this :

:christmas:

Edited by Nebuchadnezzar

From the other 3 songs only "Trinity of Heresy" has the Helstar's identity. Pandemonium is really very modern. Unfortunately the trends in the States hit again. After the huge Pantera movement in the 90's the results of the crappy "metalcore/crappycore & all the other cores" trend are obvious...

I'll take this :

:christmas:

Yup Rhapsody in Black is killer but I also like the newer Helstar stuff as well and I don't hear "Modern" as much just heavier and better produced.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently this CD came out in Europe last week and it gets a U.S. release in February of next year.

Apparently this CD came out in Europe last week and it gets a U.S. release in February of next year.

And they wonder why the music industry is fucked.

All the true fans will just order the European version since it's not like you can get it in a store anyway. Stupid fucking record companies.

All the true fans will just order the European version

Or they'll just download it. Then in February the record company will scratch their collective heads like "We only sold a dozen copies of the new Helstar? Wassup wit'dat?"

All the true fans will just order the European version

Or they'll just download it. Then in February the record company will scratch their collective heads like "We only sold a dozen copies of the new Helstar? Wassup wit'dat?"

Download it?? How DARE you suggest such an illegal activity!! I would NEVER do something like that..... :whistle:

Besaides I really don't want Lars Ulrich on My ass about it either.. Ya know??? :rofl2:

Besaides I really don't want Lars Ulrich on My ass about it either.. Ya know??? :rofl2:

Official Quote from Lars Ulrich: "Helstar? What's a Helstar?"

• 2 months later...

Just got a promo of GLORY OF CHAOS to review for Detritus... (the U.S. release date is February 15th, I think)... first spin thru, it sounds pretty killer to me... definitely thrashier/more brutal than past stuff, Rivera still sounds great... and the bonus tracks are covers of Saxon's "Heavy Metal Thunder" and Scorpions' "Animal Magnetism" ... me likee. :beerbang: