Jon Schaffer to unveil SONS OF LIBERTY

Fat Freddy

I just got this message from Jon Schaffer in my e-mail (well, actually it was from his P.R. guy, not Jon himself, but still, that's pretty frickin' cool. :P) I know nothing about this new project but it certainly sounds weird/interesting.

Nashville, IN

December 16th, 2009.

Hello friends,

For the last several months I have been working on a new project/solo album called Sons of Liberty. I am excited to unveil this and talk about the motivations behind it this Friday on the Alex Jones show.

I will be in the studio with Alex on Friday December 18th at 2pm CST. The show is broadcast from 11am to 3pm CST to over 80 stations nation wide.

To find a station near you, go to http://www.gcnlive.com/affiliates.php or stream it LIVE for free from Infowars.com.

Just click on http://www.infowars.com/listen.html and you will be able to follow the broadcast.

Prison Planet members can watch the interview from PrisonPlanet.TV

On a newly created website that will go live Friday, December 18th, you will be able to download and listen to this new album for free. You will also be able to purchase a high-resolution version. The web address is www.sons-of-liberty.net

My desire is for Sons of Liberty to become part of a much larger movement that is happening around the world. This new website will be a think-tank containing lots of interesting web-links, book and movie recommendations, and much more. This will be an ongoing process, so check back often.

I am very proud to be invited to Alex Jones’ show and I feel this is the perfect place for me to reveal the first Sons of Liberty album entitled “Brush-fires of the Mind.”

This is about the message and not the messenger. This is a project that I encourage you to copy and share with your friends.

I care very much about what is happening in our world, we’ve been steamrolling down this road for a long time, so I assure you this is not a politically biased message. I’m hoping to set a few brush-fires in the minds of the listeners with this one. So please, check it out, do the research and get involved!

Looking forward to getting your responses on this new chapter in my life!

All the best,

Jon Schaffer

I saw this over at Blabbermouth and not sure what to think about this.

Since IE is basically Jon's solo band I'm not sure if there's any point in doing a side solo band unless the sound is very far removed from IE and if that's the case I'm kind of worried. Although I do believe he's singing in this band so that might be the big difference.

Yea, this all seems very odd. I looked up that Alex Jones guy (whose radio show is helping to launch this project) and it seems that he's one of those "9/11 Was An Inside Job, The Illuminati and the New World Order are coming to eat your children" conspiracy theory nut jobs. I'm not sure what to think at this point. :blink:

...but what the hell, you can download it for free, so I'll check it out nonetheless....

Yea, this all seems very odd. I looked up that Alex Jones guy (whose radio show is helping to launch this project) and it seems that he's one of those "9/11 Was An Inside Job, The Illuminati and the New World Order are coming to eat your children" conspiracy theory nut jobs. I'm not sure what to think at this point. :blink:

...but what the hell, you can download it for free, so I'll check it out nonetheless....

There was a whole lot of banter about this Jones guy over at Bmouth today.

There was a whole lot of banter about this Jones guy over at Bmouth today.

Yea, I saw a little bit of that but of course any Blabbermouth discussion inevitably winds up becoming a room full of monkeys flinging poo @ each other so I quit watching the topic after a while...

Apparently Dave Mustaine is a big fan of this Alex Jones guy too. Seems Dave's been on his radio show and some of the topics they discussed ended up inspiring some of the lyrics on ENDGAME. Again, whatever. As Kory Clarke once said, "Forget the politics, it's rock-n-roll!"

By the way, I understand that Jon IS performing lead vox on this project; which is cool. He does have a pretty decent, snarling "metal" singing voice, though he's only used it sparingly over the years (i.e. the original version of "Stormrider" and the cover of "God of Thunder" on TRIBUTE TO THE GODS). I gather that this Sons of Liberty stuff is supposed to be a bit more straightforward sounding and angrier than I.E.'s last couple of albums. Again, sounds fine by me. Looking forward to hearing it.

Oooo-kay, the Sons Of Liberty web site went "live" today so I signed up for their newsletter in order to download the S.O.E. album for free. Betcha that means I'm gonna start getting some interesting e-mail SPAM from these wackaloons. Haha.

Will report back once I've had time to investigage the toonage.

I'm four tracks into the Sons of Liberty stuff and so far it sounds pretty damn good... more aggressive than the last two I.E. discs and with a lot less pomposity. The lyrics (what little I've been able to make out) sound like loony tune "X-Files" propaganda but other than that I'm diggin' it.

At another forum I visit there are some folks who theorize that some of this music may have been unused stuff that was cannibalized from THE GLORIOUS BURDEN era. I don't know if they're on the right track but it certainly has that kinda vibe, with an added "F**k you, don't tread on me or I'll kick your ass" feel that was missing from IE's last two records.

Hey Jon -- drop the space alien/sci fi angle that you've been beating to death in IE and cut some more stuff like this!!

Be advised by the way: the sons-of-liberty web page has two options to download this album: a free version (if you give'em your e-mail address to sign up for their newsletter, you are then sent a link to the file) and a higher quality version you can pay for with a PayPal link. (I think the price is $7.) I chose the free version (cuz I'm a cheap ass, hahaha) and my Windows Media Player couldn't play the files. They work just fine in Nero Media Player though, so .... whatever.

I'm four tracks into the Sons of Liberty stuff and so far it sounds pretty damn good... more aggressive than the last two I.E. discs and with a lot less pomposity. The lyrics (what little I've been able to make out) sound like loony tune "X-Files" propaganda but other than that I'm diggin' it.

At another forum I visit there are some folks who theorize that some of this music may have been unused stuff that was cannibalized from THE GLORIOUS BURDEN era. I don't know if they're on the right track but it certainly has that kinda vibe, with an added "F**k you, don't tread on me or I'll kick your ass" feel that was missing from IE's last two records.

Hey Jon -- drop the space alien/sci fi angle that you've been beating to death in IE and cut some more stuff like this!!

Be advised by the way: the sons-of-liberty web page has two options to download this album: a free version (if you give'em your e-mail address to sign up for their newsletter, you are then sent a link to the file) and a higher quality version you can pay for with a PayPal link. (I think the price is $7.) I chose the free version (cuz I'm a cheap ass, hahaha) and my Windows Media Player couldn't play the files. They work just fine in Nero Media Player though, so .... whatever.

Yea I downloaded this last night and I am digging it!! Sure the lyrics are kinda.. Out there, but the music is GOOD!!! :headbanger: I kinda like the lil news bytes between songs too.......

Who really cares for Iced Earth nowadays?

Obviously I do, Zippy. Otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread.

IE have died after "dark saga".

Incorrect.

Most people believe that they died in 1991

Um...."most people" on what planet? The World of True Arcane Steele Elitists? Cuz surely you're not talking about Earth.

IE have died after "dark saga". That was 1996. We're in 2009. Most people believe that they died in 1991 but I like the albums up to Dark Saga.

Dark Saga was and is a great album but IMO Something Wicked is better.

And while some or most people might of think they died I believe they sold more cds in their home country on the Something Wicked, Horror Show and Glorious Burden discs so not everyone believes they were dead at that point. Then again not to many people were even aware of them up until the Dark Saga release. I remember seeing something on them in Metal Maniacs showing that Dark Saga was there 4th cd but thinkinng that it was strange I had never heard of them. So many go on and on about how great Night of the Stormrider is and while it is a good album I don't consider it the classic that so many make it out to be and as I mentioned I prefer the other discs I named above, but that's just my opinion.

Who really cares for Iced Earth nowadays?

Obviously I do, Zippy. Otherwise I wouldn't have started this thread.

IE have died after "dark saga".

Incorrect.

Most people believe that they died in 1991

Um...."most people" on what planet? The World of True Arcane Steele Elitists? Cuz surely you're not talking about Earth.

You are just an exception, you have also opened threads for Megadeth... :christmas:

IE have died after "dark saga". That was 1996. We're in 2009. Most people believe that they died in 1991 but I like the albums up to Dark Saga.

And while some or most people might of think they died I believe they sold more cds in their home country on the Something Wicked, Horror Show and Glorious Burden discs so not everyone believes they were dead at that point. Then again not to many people were even aware of them up until the Dark Saga release. I remember seeing something on them in Metal Maniacs showing that Dark Saga was there 4th cd but thinkinng that it was strange I had never heard of them. So many go on and on about how great Night of the Stormrider is and while it is a good album I don't consider it the classic that so many make it out to be and as I mentioned I prefer the other discs I named above, but that's just my opinion.

Iced Earth sold many copies outside USA until Dark Saga or even something wicked because the music was very good. The other releases sold inside USA because of the well-known "patriotic" lyrics...

You can get an idea how crappy were the later releases for the rest of the planet there :

MA

Guess how would be the average without the "iced earth dedicated fans" of 100%!! :lol:

You are just an exception, you have also opened threads for Megadeth... :christmas:

And let me guess: they died in 1984 and should never have released anything other than demos? Or somethin' like that? :blink: Either way, excuuuuse me for continuing to support bands that sell more than 100 copies of their albums... <_<

The other releases sold inside USA because of the well-known "patriotic" lyrics...

I call B.S. on this one. More like they sold better inside the USA because the American arm of their (mostly death metal at the time) record label finally got a clue about how to market them around the DARK SAGA album. (Having a "Spawn" tie-in probably didn't hurt either). As for the "patriotic" lyrics of THE GLORIOUS BURDEN, they were debated here in the U.S. just as much as they were anywhere else. Some people thought it was cool, others thought it was dorky.

And let me guess: they died in 1984 and should never have released anything other than demos? Or somethin' like that? :blink: Either way, excuuuuse me for continuing to support bands that sell more than 100 copies of their albums... <_<

No they died 10 years later with Youthanasia.

There is crap which sells 100 copies, there is crap which sells 1 million copies, there are masterpieces which sells 100 copies because some guys keep on buying crap which sells 1 million copies or because of that... :rolleyes:

The other releases sold inside USA because of the well-known "patriotic" lyrics...

I call B.S. on this one. More like they sold better inside the USA because the American arm of their (mostly death metal at the time) record label finally got a clue about how to market them around the DARK SAGA album. (Having a "Spawn" tie-in probably didn't hurt either). As for the "patriotic" lyrics of THE GLORIOUS BURDEN, they were debated here in the U.S. just as much as they were anywhere else. Some people thought it was cool, others thought it was dorky.

The "patriotic" lyrics were floaring around after horrow show not only on the specific album. Guess what! The new solo called "Sons of liberty"!!!! :bowdown:

Uhhh.... yeah, OK, whatever. This has already gone far enuff off topic. Soooooo...

funny-pictures-cat-talk-to-the-hand.jpg

Iced Earth sold many copies outside USA until Dark Saga or even something wicked because the music was very good. The other releases sold inside USA because of the well-known "patriotic" lyrics...

You can get an idea how crappy were the later releases for the rest of the planet there :

MA

Guess how would be the average without the "iced earth dedicated fans" of 100%!! :lol:

There was one song with Patriotic lyrics on 'Something Wicked' and that was the instrumental '1776'.

The following release 'Horror Show' did have the ballad 'Ghosts of Freedom' that was partriotic and 'The Glorious Burden' release was a full on pro partiotic lyrical slant. Not that there as anything wrong with that IMO. If a Greek band sang about Greek history I'm sure you would love it to. The reason this band wasn't known in the US early on has nothing to do with the lyrics it was the musical climate here and the lack of promotion on the part of Century Media Records. Not that I blame them since most Metal bands similar to IE couldn't of got arrested in the US up to 96/97 anyway.

Just because you think that the music was "good" up to 'Dark Saga' and not so good afterward doesn't mean everyone else in the entire world feels that way. Sure I understand that there's fans in Europe that loved the band early on and don't love them now but there's plenty of other fans such as myself that picked up on the band later and prefers the later albums. Lets face it the two vocalists that sang on the first two releases aren't shit compared to Matt Barlow and that's why those two releases leave me a little cold compared to what came later. Of course the production got much better down the road as well. Of course this is just "my" opinon and I wouldn't expect every person in the entire universe to feel the same as me.

It pisses me off to no end when people like yourself think that they speak for the whole world.

If you don't like IE anymore that there is nothing wrong with that at all but to think that no one else care about the band or any of their outside projects becasue you don't care about them is just plain stupid.

And as far as the Megadeth comment goes I also like Megadeth and have for a long long long time and if you don't like them it's your opinion and I'll respect but to make comments like you did is just plain disrespectful of others.

MA

There was one song with Patriotic lyrics on 'Something Wicked' and that was the instrumental '1776'.

The following release 'Horror Show' did have the ballad 'Ghosts of Freedom' that was partriotic and 'The Glorious Burden' release was a full on pro partiotic lyrical slant. Not that there as anything wrong with that IMO. If a Greek band sang about Greek history I'm sure you would love it to. The reason this band wasn't known in the US early on has nothing to do with the lyrics it was the musical climate here and the lack of promotion on the part of Century Media Records. Not that I blame them since most Metal bands similar to IE couldn't of got arrested in the US up to 96/97 anyway.

Just because you think that the music was "good" up to 'Dark Saga' and not so good afterward doesn't mean everyone else in the entire world feels that way. Sure I understand that there's fans in Europe that loved the band early on and don't love them now but there's plenty of other fans such as myself that picked up on the band later and prefers the later albums. Lets face it the two vocalists that sang on the first two releases aren't shit compared to Matt Barlow and that's why those two releases leave me a little cold compared to what came later. Of course the production got much better down the road as well. Of course this is just "my" opinon and I wouldn't expect every person in the entire universe to feel the same as me.

It pisses me off to no end when people like yourself think that they speak for the whole world.

If you don't like IE anymore that there is nothing wrong with that at all but to think that no one else care about the band or any of their outside projects becasue you don't care about them is just plain stupid.

And as far as the Megadeth comment goes I also like Megadeth and have for a long long long time and if you don't like them it's your opinion and I'll respect but to make comments like you did is just plain disrespectful of others.

If a Greek band sang about Greek history with crappy music I couldn't stand, no I wouldn't buy it. And of course there's a difference between history & present. But I don't judge the patriotic lyrics I judge the crappy music. So you're telling me that you have suddenly loved a band because of the promotion of a label? Hm it's not too smart I think. Europeans loves the US metal since forever & this will not gonna change. I'm sure you are aware of the cd/dvd versions of "Alive in Athens", right? Americans usually follow the several trends the music business delivers & European music (from German/UK AOR to happy "power" metal bands like Helloween). Not sure why that happens.

I didn't speak for the whole world, I've sent you a link with reviews for all the IE cds to check what's is going on with the latest IE cds, can't you see it??

Sorry if I was "disrespectful" I just mentioned that IE is dead since '90's. And I think that's because the mainman gave his base to the "patriotic" lyrics & forget the music the band played. If you REALLY like the music I won't insist but it's really bad to buy the music of a band only for the lyrics when so many honest bands disappearing every day. Just my 2 cents.

MA

If a Greek band sang about Greek history with crappy music I couldn't stand, no I wouldn't buy it. And of course there's a difference between history & present. But I don't judge the patriotic lyrics I judge the crappy music. So you're telling me that you have suddenly loved a band because of the promotion of a label? Hm it's not too smart I think. Europeans loves the US metal since forever & this will not gonna change. I'm sure you are aware of the cd/dvd versions of "Alive in Athens", right? Americans usually follow the several trends the music business delivers & European music (from German/UK AOR to happy "power" metal bands like Helloween). Not sure why that happens.

I didn't speak for the whole world, I've sent you a link with reviews for all the IE cds to check what's is going on with the latest IE cds, can't you see it??

Sorry if I was "disrespectful" I just mentioned that IE is dead since '90's. And I think that's because the mainman gave his base to the "patriotic" lyrics & forget the music the band played. If you REALLY like the music I won't insist but it's really bad to buy the music of a band only for the lyrics when so many honest bands disappearing every day. Just my 2 cents.

Excuse me but I don't remember ever saying that I bought Iced Earth cds because of their patriotic lyrics or because of good label promotion. What I said was the following:

"The reason this band wasn't known in the US early on has nothing to do with the lyrics it was the musical climate here and the lack of promotion on the part of Century Media Records."

It's hard for me to know about a band if you can't find their cds and no magazine covers them. I know metal is bigger in Europe than the US and that's great and all but it's not fault I didn't hear about this band until later.

I had never heard of Iced Earth until seeing something about them in a Magazine(which I mentioned in an above post) and became a fan after taking a chance on buying the 'Something Wicked' release and have bought the old stuff and the new stuff since. It had absolutely nothing to do with lyrics or record labels. I could really give a shit about what someone else in some other country or even my own country thinks about a band I like. If I like a band I like them and that's that. Sure I liked IE more a few years back than I do now but I'm still a fan. By the way I don't remember any patriotic lyrics on the last two Iced Earth discs. And yes I am aware of the Alive in Athens live disc(s) and to be honest I prefer those versions of the old songs with Barlow to the originals but that's just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Vid message from Jon S. about the project:

I have to agree with Heaven&hell on this one. Though the original Mathew Barlow releases are my favorite, I still don't have a problem with the direction Iced Earth has taken (I know I don't want to hear the same album done over and over again)