Robin Trower (vintage)

& then

Great stuff and one of Mike Onesko's biggest influences.

Just starting to listen to more and more of Trower and liking what I'm hearing so some CD's will be purchased down the track.

Would like to hear your recomendations of what you think are his best albums and what would be the best ones to get knowing that I really like that Bridge Of Sighs track and that sort of sound and style.

P.S....A new Robin Trower tribute album is in the pipe works to be done, with Mike Onesko probably being a part of it.

• 2023 Gold Donors
Great stuff and one of Mike Onesko's biggest influences.

Just starting to listen to more and more of Trower and liking what I'm hearing so some CD's will be purchased down the track.

Would like to hear your recomendations of what you think are his best albums and what would be the best ones to get knowing that I really like that Bridge Of Sighs track and that sort of sound and style.

P.S....A new Robin Trower tribute album is in the pipe works to be done, with Mike Onesko probably being a part of it.

Hey Dave,

:agree: 1000%! I am a long time Trower fan goin' back to when he was in Procol Harum (yeah, I know, who's them guys? ;) ) But I really became a huge fan when he began his solo career. Twice Removed From Yesterday was his first solo release & is damn good, IMO. The original Chrysalis release is both fairly tough to find.....& even more so in an affordable price range. Bridge Of Sighs was the second release ('74) & would be a good release to start with. Excellent all-around release, with fantastic tunes from start to finish! I believe Bill Lordan joined in time for the third release, For Earth Below, which has many excellent tunes & is another of my faves. IMHO, the addition of Bill Lordan raised the level of both the quality of songs, but more so when the trio of Trower/Dewar & Lordan performed live! Most of the earlier releases are more 'bluesy' than the late 70's - 90's material, IMO, as the vocalists changed durin' those time periods. 'Bout 10 years ago most of the R.T. catalog was remastered & reissued on the BGO (Beat Goes On) label with two releases on 1 CD. Both the artwork & remasterin' were excellent improvements for the earlier releases, as well.

I'll try to give ya some ideas/recommendations based on both the 70's, 80's & some from the 90's.....

70's:

Bridge Of Sighs (Trower/Dewar/Isadore) originally on Chrysalis Records;

also remastered on BGO - Twice Removed From Yesterday/Bridge Of Sighs

Live! (Trower/Dewar/Lordan) originally on Chrysalis Records;

also remastered on BGO - For Earth Below/Live! (Live! was also remastered & reissued separately, with this issue includin' a large fold-out poster)

80's:

Victims Of The Fury (Trower/Dewar/Lordan) originally on Chrysalis Records;

also remastered on BGO - Caravan To Midnight/Victims Of The Fury

Robin Trower also did a few releases in the earlier part of the 80's with Jack Bruce of "Cream", before 08's Seven Moons release. BLT is an excellent release of this collaboration.

Another release from '85 that is both one of the best, as well as more difficult to find & usually commands $50+ is "Beyond The Mist" & although it is one of my very fave releases, it is not easy to find, as well as more costly. There are fakes/boots of this rare release around, so be careful if/when tryin' to obtain this rare release. One of the reasons this release is more sought after is that it only has two studio tracks, with the remainin' 5 tracks bein' live songs. There is a freakin' fantastic 10+ minute version of Bridge Of Sighs that is outstanding!

90's:

In The Line Of Fire originally on Atlantic Records

This is both another fave of mine! Davey Pattison is on this release & adds remarkably to every song, IMO! This may've been one of the more commercially successful releases for Trower, & not as 'bluesy' as earlier releases, but I would/do recommend it to all.

In short: ;)

Bridge Of Sighs

Live!

Victims Of The Fury

BLT

In The Line Of Fire

are all good releases to start with! :tumbsup:

If ya need any other info.....feel free to pm me....anytime!

Enjoy Dave! :drink:

Robin Trower is Fucking Awesome!!! James Dewar has a Killer voice!! Classic stuff!!!!!

Perfectly said & Uber backed! :tumbsup:

After spending all yesterday morning listening to samples from all his albums, that's a great breakdown of his material and some very good advice you have given in regards to recomendations :tumbsup:

The first one I will get will be "Bridge Of Sighs" but I'm still undecided whether to get the remastered version with the 5 bonus BBC live tracks or the two album deal that includes the "Twice Removed From Yesterday" album :unsure:

The other ones that are now on my radar that I did like and will consider getting are the double packs:

For Earth Below / LIVE

Long Misty Days / In City Dreams

Caravan To Midnght / Victims Of The Fury

and I also liked the samples from "Back It Up" and "Living Out Of Time"

Again, thanks for your thoughts and your advice :drink:

The first one I will get will be "Bridge Of Sighs" but I'm still undecided whether to get the remastered version with the 5 bonus BBC live tracks or the two album deal that includes the "Twice Removed From Yesterday" album :unsure:

Actually this double pack is pretty expensive so it will be the remastered version for me :tumbsup:

• 1 month later...
For Earth Below / LIVE

All three will be coming my way after Christmas as soon as the money situation allows !!!!!

Free shipping as well from the BGO Records site :bananamac:

BGO Records

For Earth Below / LIVE

All Classics and must have IMO!! Robin Trower Still Kicks ass!!

I only own one album at the minute {soon to be 7 albums} and Jon {& then} :tumbsup: has provided me with a fair few more mp3's and already from what I've heard.......Robin Trower certainly does kick ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!

For Earth Below / LIVE

I only own one album at the minute {soon to be 7 albums} and Jon {& then} :tumbsup: has provided me with a fair few more mp3's and already from what I've heard.......Robin Trower certainly does kick ass !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Job now done and the three double discs just purchased :tumbsup:

• 2023 Gold Donors
For Earth Below / LIVE

:tumbsup: Dave! I hope that ya both enjoy all of the great music & that the $$ doesn't cut into the suds funds for the holidayz, mate! ;):christmas:

For Earth Below / LIVE

:tumbsup: Dave! I hope that ya both enjoy all of the great music & that the $$ doesn't cut into the suds funds for the holidayz, mate! ;):christmas:

:christmas: ......Jon, all is fine because I did an audit on my currently available CD money and there was enough to cover these 6 Robin Trower albums but unless that big fat man in the red suit hopefully throws a bit more my way come Christmas, I might be in a bit of strife when I place my fair sized Grooveyard order at the begining of next year :unsure::christmas:

:drink: mate !!!!