Shadows Fall - Retribution

heaven&hell

I haven't got it yet but I've loved the the last 3 discs they've done and have read that the new one sounds more like "The War Within" and "The Art of Balance" which would be awesome since I think those two were better than the last release "Threads of Life".

Some samples:

http://www.myspace.com/shadowsfall

Yep - I've had this a week or so now. It's definitely less polished than "Threads of Life", actually not sure I'm a a big fan of the production which is very rough. It also has more groove and less thrash than "Threads..." did, though the singing is also much more 'clean' and melodic. It's probably a more consistent set of songs than the last disc had, but not sure quite how much I like it just yet....

Yep - I've had this a week or so now. It's definitely less polished than "Threads of Life", actually not sure I'm a a big fan of the production which is very rough. It also has more groove and less thrash than "Threads..." did, though the singing is also much more 'clean' and melodic. It's probably a more consistent set of songs than the last disc had, but not sure quite how much I like it just yet....

From what I've read that went back to Zuess for production whom they've worked with for years and I also had read that it's more thrashy then the last disc. I'll pick it up soon next time I hit a music store probably in the next two weeks when I'm on vacation. :headbanger:

From what I've read that went back to Zuess for production whom they've worked with for years and I also had read that it's more thrashy then the last disc. I'll pick it up soon next time I hit a music store probably in the next two weeks when I'm on vacation. :headbanger:

Yeah it definitely sounds less polished. I think it sounds less thrashy, more akin to LAMB OF GOD IMO (kinda grooving Metal). The pace is definitely slower on here and it's more rhythm/percussive.

Haven't picked up "The War Within" yet (shame on me) but I do own "The Art of Balance" & "Threads of Life," with the latter being my fave. Samples for "Retribution" were good enough to immediately place it in a place of high priority on my ever-expanding To Buy List.

Haven't picked up "The War Within" yet (shame on me) but I do own "The Art of Balance" & "Threads of Life," with the latter being my fave. Samples for "Retribution" were good enough to immediately place it in a place of high priority on my ever-expanding To Buy List.

If you like "Threads" more than "The Art of Balance" then you might not like "The War Within" as much but to me "The War Within" is awsome and right on par with "The Art of Balance" as their best. :headbanger:

Haven't picked up "The War Within" yet (shame on me) but I do own "The Art of Balance" & "Threads of Life," with the latter being my fave.

If you like "Threads" more than "The Art of Balance" then you might not like "The War Within" as much but to me "The War Within" is awsome and right on par with "The Art of Balance" as their best.

Yeah, I've heard "The War Within" is more abrasive/aggressive, which is why I haven't been in a rush to pick it up. I prefer the clean/melodic elements they brought in on "Threads..." As Tim will tell you, I'm a lightweight thrasher. :P

Haven't picked up "The War Within" yet (shame on me) but I do own "The Art of Balance" & "Threads of Life," with the latter being my fave.

If you like "Threads" more than "The Art of Balance" then you might not like "The War Within" as much but to me "The War Within" is awsome and right on par with "The Art of Balance" as their best.

Yeah, I've heard "The War Within" is more abrasive/aggressive, which is why I haven't been in a rush to pick it up. I prefer the clean/melodic elements they brought in on "Threads..." As Tim will tell you, I'm a lightweight thrasher. :P

Lightweight Thrasher that's funny. :lol:

I can see why you would like "Threads" more then the others.

To me this band is the newer version of Testament who is my fav thrash band.

They have the technical musical side to them and they have a vocalist who sings clean vocals and growls just like Chuck Billy. :banger:

On your list of stuff to get I would put the new FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH above this. Both are good, but FFDP's newie is pretty damn awesome IMO....

On your list of stuff to get I would put the new FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH above this. Both are good, but FFDP's newie is pretty damn awesome IMO....

I've read their new one is good but I'm afraid to try to get into another newer Metal band since the last two I don't spin much with those being Sanctity and Trivium.

I've read their new one is good but I'm afraid to try to get into another newer Metal band since the last two I don't spin much with those being Sanctity and Trivium.

Yeah you'd need to hear FFDP before you bought it, though it's nowhere near as modern-sounding as something like Trivium. Is pretty heavy but with good/catchy choruses....