Gary Hughes - 'Veritas'

Geoff

As noted in a couple of other threads, I picked this one up for au$5 yesterday and this was the first time I was even made aware of it's existence. :lol:

My first spin resulted in a pretty decent opinion of it. It is through and through another Ten album and maybe I was being leniant because it's been a few years since I heard the last Ten album, but I thought it sounded okay. Spinning it again so I'll note the great tracks, but there were 2 or 3 here which sounded pretty damn good. Some awful stuff too... but overall not to bad.

Verdict on the haircut and repeated photos of it all over the booklet - Big thumbs down.

Verdict on the haircut and repeated photos of it all over the booklet - Big thumbs down.

gary's gone emo... :(

WTF? 'Cause he had a haircut? I don't know what world you live in, but last time I checked emo kids didn't look like people's dads. Or a business man waiting at the station. That's what Gary Hughes looks like. Someone's brother-in-law who stands by the fence at a backyard BBQ that no one cares about.

As for this CD, well, I was well wrong with my first impression. 'Wide awake in dreamland' and 'I know it's time' are very good songs and 'The Emerald Sea' is okay. The rest is crap. I really have to stop making music decisions when I get home and am doing 1000 other things. Tracks 6-9 are just atrocious. So yeah, sorry guys, but this is crap, imo.

gary's gone emo... :(

WTF? 'Cause he had a haircut? I don't know what world you live in, but last time I checked emo kids didn't look like people's dads. Or a business man waiting at the station. That's what Gary Hughes looks like. Someone's brother-in-law who stands by the fence at a backyard BBQ that no one cares about.

As for this CD, well, I was well wrong with my first impression. 'Wide awake in dreamland' and 'I know it's time' are very good songs and 'The Emerald Sea' is okay. The rest is crap. I really have to stop making music decisions when I get home and am doing 1000 other things. Tracks 6-9 are just atrocious. So yeah, sorry guys, but this is crap, imo.

Hence the reason why I didn't buy it, .

I like Ten's stuff alot up to the last couple of albums (the first 3 albums especially are still a fantastic discs), and GH's previous solo stuff has been really good in places, especially the 2 'Once And Future King' discs. But as with recent stuff Mr. Hughes has put his 'Production' skills to, 'Veritas' is just a very poor album from the songs, down to the sound.

I didn't think the production was too bad. Every now and then with the volume up it sounded a little "muffled" in the rhythm section, but for me the songs are the bigger issue here. :)