Help from a Ramones fan......

eyesis

Oooh boy, here's something I can sink my teeth into. You want Ramones advice, I'm your man. :lol:

If you want a compilation album to get you started I'd recommend 1988's RAMONES MANIA, that's what got me whole hog into the band years and years ago. There are also two more recent comps that are very good, the RAMONES ANTHOLOGY set, or the LOUD, FAST RAMONES: THEIR TOUGHEST hits collection. The WEIRD TALES OF THE RAMONES box set is probably the most complete overview but it's a bit too rich for my blood (that one comes with a DVD of all their videos as well.)

Studio album wise, their first four albums (S/T, LEAVE HOME, ROCKET TO RUSSIA and ROAD TO RUIN) are all pure gold. Some of the stuff after that can be hit or miss but 1984's TOO TOUGH TO DIE, 1986's ANIMAL BOY and 1987's HALFWAY TO SANITY are VERY cool; that's some of their angriest, most hard hitting stuff, coming after a few flirtations with more pop-edged material on albums like END OF THE CENTURY and PLEASANT DREAMS in the early 80s.

There are several live albums out there as well but the only one you really need is IT'S ALIVE from 1978.

All of the studio albums from the debut thru TOO TOUGH TO DIE were remastered/reissued via Rhino Records/Warner Archives five or six years ago and they're all worth getting because they have killer liner notes and tons of bonus tracks (B-sides, live versions, demos, etc.).

Hope that helps ya somewhat. Gabba Gabba Hey!!

Oooh boy, here's something I can sink my teeth into. You want Ramones advice, I'm your man. :lol:

If you want a compilation album to get you started I'd recommend 1988's RAMONES MANIA, that's what got me whole hog into the band years and years ago. There are also two more recent comps that are very good, the RAMONES ANTHOLOGY set, or the LOUD, FAST RAMONES: THEIR TOUGHEST hits collection. The WEIRD TALES OF THE RAMONES box set is probably the most complete overview but it's a bit too rich for my blood (that one comes with a DVD of all their videos as well.)

Studio album wise, their first four albums (S/T, LEAVE HOME, ROCKET TO RUSSIA and ROAD TO RUIN) are all pure gold. Some of the stuff after that can be hit or miss but 1984's TOO TOUGH TO DIE, 1986's ANIMAL BOY and 1987's HALFWAY TO SANITY are VERY cool that's some of their most hard hitting stuff, coming after a few flirtations with more pop-edged material on albums like END OF THE CENTURY and PLEASANT DREAMS in the early 80s.

There are several live albums out there as well but the only one you really need is IT'S ALIVE from 1978.

All of the studio albums from the debut thru TOO TOUGH TO DIE were remastered/reissued via Rhino Records/Warner Archives five or six years ago and they're all worth getting because they have killer liner notes and tons of bonus tracks (B-sides, live versions, demos, etc.).

Hope that helps ya somewhat. Gabba Gabba Hey!!

Damn...I guess you are the man.... :beerbang: Thanks for the info...I am heading out later to do some cd shopping and I think I will be breaking my Ramones cherry with a few of your suggestions....Thanks again!!

:drink:

Damn...I guess you are the man.... :beerbang: Thanks for the info...I am heading out later to do some cd shopping and I think I will be breaking my Ramones cherry with a few of your suggestions....Thanks again!!

Haha, yea, I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to the Ramones.

No problemo sir... good luck on your Ramones hunting expedition, be sure to report back here with your findings and your thoughts on'em, ya hear? :lol:

Haha, yea, I'm a bit of a fanboy when it comes to the Ramones.

No problemo sir... good luck on your Ramones hunting expedition, be sure to report back here with your findings and your thoughts on'em, ya hear? :lol:

Keef is da Man when it comes to the Ramones... :banger:

Yea My Man Keith is definitely the MAN when it comes to The Ramones!!! :headbanger:

Another couple comps He forgot to mention are.. All the Stuff and More Vol 1, and Vol 2.... Buncha good stuff on those, live tracks too, well worth checking out..... :tumbsup:

Good call, D.S., I should've mentioned the ALL THE STUFF... comps, cuz purchasing those would be a cheap shortcut to owning all of the first four albums (ALL THE STUFF VOLUME I is the S/T and LEAVE HOME on one disc, and VOL. II is ROCKET TO RUSSIA and ROAD TO RUIN). The bonus tracks on them are nice, but all of them were eventually used again on the Rhino/Warner Archives reissues of the individual albums (with a whole lot more stuff from the vaults added on)...

I'm gonna probably get lynched for this but I really like Brain Drain. :lol:

I like BRAIN DRAIN too (hell, I'm a fanboy, I like all of their stuff to some degree!) but it's in the middle of the pack for me... tho "I Believe In Miracles" and "Pet Sematary" are classic, there's a lot of filler in there...

Yea My Man Keith is definitely the MAN when it comes to The Ramones!!! :headbanger:

Another couple comps He forgot to mention are.. All the Stuff and More Vol 1, and Vol 2.... Buncha good stuff on those, live tracks too, well worth checking out..... :tumbsup:

Thanks Dark Star...will keep those in mind when I am out shopping......... :beerbang:

I'm gonna probably get lynched for this but I really like Brain Drain. :lol:

I like BRAIN DRAIN too (hell, I'm a fanboy, I like all of their stuff to some degree!) but it's in the middle of the pack for me... tho "I Believe In Miracles" and "Pet Sematary" are classic, there's a lot of filler in there...

I love it for those two songs...LOL... :banger:

Sooooo Eyesis, how'd the Ramones hunting expedition go? Inquiring minds wanna know!

So I picked up the Ramones-S/T and have given it a few spins and it is getting better with each one.Being the first time I have really sat down and listened to a whole disc it took me a few spins to get into it.I really like "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" and "Chainsaw" and of course "Blitzkrieg Pop".I thought "Beat On The Brat" was a bit odd but in a strange way catchy."Listen To My Heart" was a cool tune also.All in all I enjoyed the whole thing and being that it clocks in at about 29 minutes It was a pretty easy and quick listen.

So I picked up the Ramones-S/T and have given it a few spins and it is getting better with each one.Being the first time I have really sat down and listened to a whole disc it took me a few spins to get into it.I really like "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend" and "Chainsaw" and of course "Blitzkrieg Pop".I thought "Beat On The Brat" was a bit odd but in a strange way catchy."Listen To My Heart" was a cool tune also.All in all I enjoyed the whole thing and being that it clocks in at about 29 minutes It was a pretty easy and quick listen.

Nice. :banger: As I said, you can't go wrong with any of their first 4 records, they are all solid gold. I'd recommend ROAD TO RUIN as your next purchase if you're looking for more!

I'm not a big fan of "Greatest Hits" releases... But not long ago (I think about a year ago) Rhino Records released The Ramones "Greatest Hits". It has a pretty good selection of songs and comes with nice inserts. I actually find myself slipping this one in the CD player often. Might be something you would be interested in. I picked mine up when it came out at Walmart and was surprised at how cheap it was.. though I do not remember the exact price.

Edit ~ I still miss the Ramones :crying:

I'm not a big fan of "Greatest Hits" releases... But not long ago (I think about a year ago) Rhino Records released The Ramones "Greatest Hits". It has a pretty good selection of songs and comes with nice inserts. I actually find myself slipping this one in the CD player often. Might be something you would be interested in. I picked mine up when it came out at Walmart and was surprised at how cheap it was.. though I do not remember the exact price.

Thanks...I will keep an eye out next time I am at Walmart.......... :beerbang:

You ain't the only one, bud. :crying:

You ain't the only one, bud. :crying:

No.. NO yer not the only one.. RIP Joey and Dee Dee...... :crying:

You forgot Johnny... R.I.P. Johnny too... :crying: