Slammin' Gladys reunion and new CD "Two" (2021)

AlphaMale

Was about to do a Forgotten Hard Rock Albums thread on these guys and found out the have reunited and recorded their second release!

Various sources:

SLAMMIN’ GLADYS – Two (2021)

February 14, 2021

SLAMMIN' GLADYS - Two (2021) full

After almost thirty years, ’80s cult L.A. hard rockers SLAMMIN’ GLADYS are back in action. They landed a respectable hit and a deal with Priority Records in ’92 with “Down On Your Knees,” a hard-hitting ballad co-written with Warrant’s Jani Lane, who also produced the self-titled album.

Chemistry is chemistry, and it’s in short supply, so the foursome — vocalist/guitarist David Brooks, guitarist J.J. Farris, bassist Al Collins, and drummer Stephen DeBoard — reunited.

They took their sweet time doing it, but if they needed a break that long to make such strong comeback as heard in their sophomore album simply titled “Two“, no one’s complaining.

They draw from the best of ’80s / early ’90s rock music – the rocking-est, the moving-est, the catchiest.

Highly Recommended

Tracklist

01 – Toxic Lover
02 – Dragon Eye Girl
03 – Lose My Mind
04 – Durango
05 – Hold up My Blue Sky
06 – Lost in Texas
07 – Light Up
08 – Ice Water
09 – Poison Arrow

David Brooks – vocals, guitar
J.J. Farris – guitar
Al Collins – bass
Stephen DeBoard – drums

BUY IT
slammingladys.com/store

And also from various sources, here's the write-up on the remastered 2020 version of the debut:

SLAMMIN’ GLADYS – Slammin’ Gladys (1992 / remastered 2020)

SLAMMIN' GLADYS - Slammin' Gladys (1992 / remastered 2020) full

SLAMMIN’ GLADYS had everything to make it big: the catchy hard rockin’ tunes, the hooks, the looks for MTV, and a strong promotion by their label / management. But their 1992 self-titled album arrived too late, right at the tail end of America’s music industry love affair with hair metal.

Slammin’ Gladys had a connection with Warrant, as bass player Al Collins was bandmate of Jani Lane (RIP) in their formative years. Lane not only helped Slammin’ Gladys to get a record deal, but also executive produced this album and co-wrote two tracks, including the minor hit, power ballad ‘Down On Your Knees’ which get a solid airplay on MTV.

With Slammin’ Gladys back into the ring 2021 with the fresh album ‘Two’, their new label is reissuing “Slammin’ Gladysremastered from the original tapes and with the originally intended artwork.

Musically “Slammin’ Gladys” mixes US melodic hard rock with bluesy overtones and a heavy-funk feel at places, and of course some Warrant into the sound. There’s melodic riffs and solos, clean lead vocals, hooky choruses where all members contribute, an keyboard splashes courtesy of former Defcon man Shawn Zavodney, who later would join Warrant.

Songs like ‘Bad Attitude’, ‘Piece of My Heart’ or ‘Silicone Sally’ rock with melody and catchines, while other cuts add variation with the aforementioned elements. Of course there’s plase for power ballads, in the form of ‘Down On Your Knees’ and ‘What U Need’, both co-written by Jani Lane.

It’s a strong and very entertaining album which tick all the right boxes from early ’90s American hard rock / hair metal, an album / band deserving better luck back in the day. But never it’s too late; Slammin’ Gladys are back into the scene with a very good new album.

Highly Recommended

Tracklist

01 – Bad Attitude
02 – Bet Your Life
03 – Down on Your Knees
04 – Lay Me Down (In the Roses)
05 – Piece of My Heart
06 – Push
07 – Love is My Drug
08 – What U Need
09 – Where Were U
10 – Cum