POINT RIOT - "Dead Man's Hand" (2017)

AlphaMale

from various internet sources:

POINT+RIOT+-+Dead+Man%2527s+Hand+-+front

POINT RIOT is a relatively new band from Sweden. The guys released a promising EP last year and now are back with a full length album titled "Dead Man's Hand".

The four-piece are all about classic things in traditional hard rock, with a straight twin guitar attack and powerful vocals.

Point Riot's hails from Sweden, but in terms of sound they come out like the classic hard rock style from Germany, with some 'Americanisms' here and there.

Title track 'Dead Man's Hand' starts the proceedings with groovy riffs, raspy vocals and a stadium-ready chorus plenty of fist-in-the-air 'ohh-ohs'. The rhythm section feels oiled and there's lots of swirling guitar licks and wah-wah pedal effect.

The tandem riffs in 'Time' and 'Let Me Go' are where Point Riot sounds German to my ears with some Sinner on it, on the other hand, 'Raise Your Hands' reminds me of a WASP track, anthemic and heavy yet plenty of melody. It happens that, at places, singer Ted Friberg sounds like Blackie Lawless.

POINT+RIOT+-+Dead+Man%2527s+Hand+-+insid

'Moonstruck' adds a bit of modernity with darker riffs, 'Sweet Addiction' brings another load of groove, 'Falling' returns to the Teutonic classy feel, and the short closer 'Heartbreak City' sports another 'shout it out' chorus not far of some WASP from the '80s. 

While Point Riot has a lot to improve, the quartet has the chops and the classic hard rock lesson well learned. An external producer with experience in this matter could make wonders with this band.

Let's see if Point Riot can make it big in the near future. Good stuff.

01 - Dead Man's Hand
02 - Moonstruck
03 - Raise Your Hands
04 - Time
05 - Sweet Addiction
06 - Let Me Go
07 - Eighteen
08 - Falling
09 - Heartbreak City

Ted Friberg - Lead Vocals, Guitar
Anders Pålsson - Guitar
Rickard Ekvall - Bass, Vocals