Tokyo - One World

Stefan

Tokyo+-+One+World+-+band+2014.gif

From http://BANNED WEBSITE.blogspot.com/

After the successful response from the fans with the reissue of their '80s material (presented at BANNED WEBSITE), German cult AOR outfit TOKYO are back featuring 4 out of the 5 original members (Klaus Luley, Robby Musenbichler, Ken Taylor & Lothar Krell). Original drummer Fritz Matzka died in 1992 and has been replaced by Aaron Thier.
Musenbichler & Co. started to write new songs last year and the result is Tokyo's new album "One World".

While the band's last official album 'San' (1983) was slightly more melodic rock oriented, 31 years have passed. And also for Tokyo members and their musical development.
"One World" delivers the typical Tokyo melodies, but as well different musical sources acquired by these musicians all over the years, specially Robby Musenbichler, always unquiet and searching for fresh musical grounds.
But don't worry, Tokyo 2014 is updated to modern times, yet still melodic.

Opener and title track "One World" has a steady mid-tempo rhythm with great AORish vocals and refined keyboards in the background. A cut with a single potential for Classic Rock Radio.
"I'm Free" is another song with an AOR touch akin Mr. Mister, although the chorus is more punchy and melodious. Later, "It's Springtime Again" is a trademark Musenbichler ballad with nice acoustics, pianos and a little Scorpions feel.

The poppy rocker "If We Don't Believe" strangely reminds me their countryman Dominoe, and has a very interesting middle part, while the somehow hi-tech melodic rocker "Do You Feel The Thunder" brings to mind Luley's other band, Craaft.

On the more different songs from the Tokyo traditional mould, we have the quite modern rocker "Stand Up" with a good guitar work and a little progressive passage, the poppy "Soon", and the Euro-rock of "Children Of Darkness". All are interesting and add a new facet to Tokyo's music.

Perhaps old school melodic rockers and fans of the band's first era were expecting another early '80s sounding album from Tokyo, but the guys are showing on "One World" where they are musically in 2014.
And I like what I hear, mixing the trademark melodies known from this quintet with explorative sounds always centered in rock but trying to avoid common places.

A quite recommended listening.

Tokyo:

Robby Musenbichler - guitar, vocals
Klaus Luley - guitar, vocals
Ken Taylor - bass, vocals
Lothar Krell - keyboards, vocals
Aaron Thier - drums

http://www.tokyo-band.com/

Tokyo+-+One+World+(front).gif

Tracklist:

01 - One World
02 - Stand Up