Gamma Ray - To The Metal

heaven&hell

Not sure if there's that many Gamma Ray fans around here but I've liked them for about 10 years or so.

Although the last disc(Land of the Free II) wasn't great most of what they've put out since Kai took over on vocals has been great IMO(I'm sure others will disagree). There new disc is 'To the Metal' and is coming out at the end of January.

To The Metal", the new video from German power metallers GAMMA RAY, can be viewed below. The clip was directed by Ronald Matthes for Berlinn, Germany's Roax Films.

"To The Metal" is the title track of GAMMA RAY's new album, which is scheduled for release on January 29 via earMUSIC/Edel. GAMMA RAY — Kai Hansen (vocals/guitar), Dirk Schlächter (bass), Henjo Richter (guitar) and Daniel Zimmermann (drums) — recorded a total of twelve new songs earlier this fall at its own studio in Hamburg. Ten of the tracks will appear on the regular album release, while the remaining two cuts will surface on various editions of the album.

"To The Metal" will be made available in four versions:

* As a regular jewel case CD

* As a limited edition featuring an additional DVD (including an exciting making-of)

* As a red vinyl in gatefold packaging

* as a collectors' edition featuring CD and 7" vinyl with two unreleased tracks, hand-signed

The cover artwork was designed by Herve Monjeaud.

"To The Metal" track listing:

01. Rise

02. Deadlands

03. Mother Angel

04. No Need To Cry

05. Empathy

06. To The Metal

07. All You Need To Know

08. Time To Live

09. Shine Forever

10. Breaking Away

DVD (included in limited-edition version):

* 60-minute documentary shot in HD, featuring interviews, "making-of-the-album" material, performance footage of classic GAMMA RAY songs.

Bonus material:

* Three video clips (including "To The Metal")

* Full unedited interview with Kai Hansen

According to a press release, the new GAMMA RAY CD is "classy, fast-paced and deep, and holds a few surprises in store which distinguish the band from the mass of acts who try their hand at similar styles and sounds. . . The band's stylistic range [includes] a full-throttle number such as 'Rise', the rhythmic and melodically diverse 'Time To Live', and the multilayered anthem 'All You Need To Know' (which has given rise to speculation about a spectacular guest singer), as well as the sensitive ballad 'No Need To Cry', composer/lyricist Dirk Schlächter's attempt to come to terms with the untimely death of his father. Of course, there's also the awesome title track — first introduced at the Wacken Open Air 2009 and a number of festivals in Scandinavia (see video below) and considered absolutely indispensible by the fans, which GAMMA RAY recorded as a classic metal track in the midtempo range, making it a real anthem. The atmospherically dense 'Empathy' sees GAMMA RAY prove their amazing musical potential again, which keeps manifesting itself in exceptional and eminently interesting compositions. This song includes all the features of a diverse, exciting and multi-faceted number, in other words: sweeping sounds, cool grooves, a progressive touch and then — almost as if from nowhere — a chorus which seriously bowls you over. Subsequently, the band soar up to an almost oriental-sounding solo part, changing key several times within the track."

GAMMA RAY will present its new material for the first time when it hits the road on February 6 as part of an extensive European tour with support from FREEDOM CALL and SECRET SPHERE.

Limited Edition CD+DVD:

gammalimitedcddvd.jpg

Red Vinyl:

gammaredvinyl.jpg

Regular Jewel Case:

gammametal.jpg

Shoot, I'm behind on my Gamma Rays... I don't even have LAND OF THE FREE II yet... :blink:

That first cover pic, with Fangface holding a bottle and a glass, would make a killer t-shirt. :beerbang:

Shoot, I'm behind on my Gamma Rays... I don't even have LAND OF THE FREE II yet... :blink:

That first cover pic, with Fangface holding a bottle and a glass, would make a killer t-shirt. :beerbang:

Yer not missing much really.. I heard Land of the Free II.. It's good, but not GOOD if Ya know what I mean...... :whistle:

I will probably buy it one of these days, to complete My Gamma Ray collection....

Now that I think about it, I don't even have the first LAND OF THE FREE. So I guess having "II" would be somewhat pointless anyway... :blink:

Now that I think about it, I don't even have the first LAND OF THE FREE. So I guess having "II" would be somewhat pointless anyway... :blink:

Now that I think about it.. I don't either...... Man I am farther behind than You are as far as completing the Gamma Ray collection.. I think all I have is Somewhere Out in Space, No World Order and Majestic.....

Damn I suck..... :unsure:

The first one is very good but not as good as the following 3 or 4 discs IMO but the LOF II was good but not great just as Sean said.

Was the first LOF done while Ralf was still singing? I never really warmed to Gamma Ray till Kai took over the singin'. Which is weird cuz I dig Ralf's vox in Primal Fear but for some reason Gamma Ray always sounded kinda goofy with him singing. Figure that one out. :blink:

Was the first LOF done while Ralf was still singing? I never really warmed to Gamma Ray till Kai took over the singin'. Which is weird cuz I dig Ralf's vox in Primal Fear but for some reason Gamma Ray always sounded kinda goofy with him singing. Figure that one out. :blink:

The first one Kai sang on was the first Land of the Free. :headbanger:

The follow up 'Somewhere out in Space' was the first disc to have the current lineup with Daniel, Henjo and Dirk along with Kai. They've had the same lineup for 13 years! :headbanger:

• 5 months later...

I picked this up last week and I have to say that I'm dissapointed so far.

The title track kicks ass and there's a few other good songs but so far to me it's seems like a weak release just like the last one. To bad because this band had been on fire on 'Land of the Free' up through 'Majestic' but they seem to have forgotten how to write good songs. I might have just stick with the old GR discs and forget their new stuff for now on. I'll spin it a few more times to make sure but so far I'm left a little cold just like I have been with the new Armored Saint, Avantasia and Masterplan. What's up with new metal releases by old bands this year? At least the Overkill kicks ass.