D’VIRGILIO, MORSE & JENNINGS - Troika

whiplash1972

Folk, Prog, AORish.... however you wanna categorize them, these are some of the best vocal harmonies I've heard in forever.

Lots of comparisons to Crosby, Stills & Nash in the YT comments

Figure this should appeal to some here.... :P 

“Troika“, combining the immense talents of Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train), Neal Morse (Transatlantic) and Ross Jennings (Haken), initially began with Morse writing some acoustic songs he thought would be enhanced by strong vocal harmonies. After reuniting with former Spock’s Beard bandmate Nick D’Virgilio, the duo specifically sought out Jennings to complete the trio (all of whom contributed material to the project).
Recorded during lockdown, D’VIRGILIO, MORSE & JENNINGS delivers melodic acoustic-filled anthems, charged rockers and sensitive ballads – all part of the mix – and the unique blend of the three voices and styles have created an album in which you will encounter these musicians in a way you’ve never heard before.

Are you a fan of acoustic rock from the ‘70s with a touch of classic rock thrown in? If so, you’re going to absolutely love ”Troika”. This mostly-acoustic rock offering spends the first half bathing you in Crosby, Stills, and Nash-like acoustic pop rock full of fabulous multi-part lead vocal harmonies while the second half throws in some Hendrix meets Styx meets Foreigner classic rock to up the attitude.

It’s such a fine record that the masses need to hear, and while the super-group last name approach will work fine for prog rock diehards, it just doesn’t roll off the tongue for the people who will really enjoy this record the most – regular lovers of vocal harmony-rich classic rock. Heck, even calling the band Troika would have been simpler.

This is one of those delightful albums that has soothing melodic wonders and ripping, ‘70s-vibe classic rock tunes, and there truly isn’t a weak link in the 12-song collection. If you’re one of those people complaining that they just aren’t making great rock albums like they used to, you’ll want to grab a copy of this CD as soon as it’s released.
Highly Recommended

01 – Everything I Am
02 – Julia
03 – You Set My Soul on Fire
04 – One Time Less
05 – Another Trip Around the Sun
06 – A Change Is Gonna Come
07 – If I Could
08 – King for a Day
09 – Second Hand Sons
10 – My Guardian
11 – What You Leave Behind