Soulfly--Omen

Straydog211

I'm in. This band just get better & better (after an awful first couple of discs) & "Conquer" was a great disc, better than the Cavalera Conspiracy thing (though that was pretty decent too). Will definitely pick this up....

I'm in. This band just get better & better (after an awful first couple of discs) & "Conquer" was a great disc, better than the Cavalera Conspiracy thing (though that was pretty decent too). Will definitely pick this up....

The first two were good, I liked that kinda latin/jungle/metal/hardcore/punk mixture. Then they turned into an average thrash band, I never understood why.

The first two were good, I liked that kinda latin/jungle/metal/hardcore/punk mixture. Then they turned into an average thrash band, I never understood why.

I was the opposite! Always wanted them to sound like SEPULTURA again and now they kinda do. Didn't fancy the crossover stuff much....

So have they dropped that Nu-metal crap from the first album or two then???

Thank GOD!!! I May have to check this out now......

You should check-out the "Conquer" album. Is straight-up thrash with no experimenting at all and the same Max snarl that was last heard on "Chaos A.D"....

• 2 months later...

So this one's a little disappointing. As with the CAVALERA CONSPIRACY disc he made with Igor, this one is just lacking the intensity that was evident on the awesome "Conquer" (which is the best Soulfly disc IMO, and the most 'thrashy'). Lots of top tunes, but a latter-half that falls flat on it's arse really spoil this as an album. Very solid and worth picking-up - as, along with Overkill/Exodus this is a good year for thrash so far - but not up there with the last disc...

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this one for a while, and it's not very good. Shite production - much rougher than before - and the vocals especially are really sounding bad IMO, and this album lays it's full hand out after the opening half leaving nothing of any substance towards the end at all. Even the first single ("Rise of the Fallen") with that muscley loser from THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN is, despite a decent chorus, crap. The stupid eloctro-keyboards and horrid mix spoiling even this albums most Melodic moment. If you want thrash then buy Exodus or Overkill instead, and if you want heavier extreme metal then let Whitechapel or Trigger the Bloodshed kick your arse. Presume he's saved all the best songs for the next CAVALERA CONSPIRACY disc? 5/10 from me.

I've had this one for a while, and it's not very good. Shite production - much rougher than before - and the vocals especially are really sounding bad IMO, and this album lays it's full hand out after the opening half leaving nothing of any substance towards the end at all. Even the first single ("Rise of the Fallen") with that muscley loser from THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN is, despite a decent chorus, crap. The stupid eloctro-keyboards and horrid mix spoiling even this albums most Melodic moment. If you want thrash then buy Exodus or Overkill instead, and if you want heavier extreme metal then let Whitechapel or Trigger the Bloodshed kick your arse. Presume he's saved all the best songs for the next CAVALERA CONSPIRACY disc? 5/10 from me.

This album was ok....but it doesn't top Conquer by a long shot. I actually like "Rise of the Fallen". I listen to Dillinger Escape plan every now and then, so I thought this was pretty cool.

Tim, is White Chapel any good? I almost bought the last album, but at that time, I really wasn't into death metal....however now, I can listen to it. What are those guys like. I also would like to recommend this album to you if you haven't already heard it. "Carnaflex: Hell Chose Me." See what you think.

This album was ok....but it doesn't top Conquer by a long shot. I actually like "Rise of the Fallen". I listen to Dillinger Escape plan every now and then, so I thought this was pretty cool.

Tim, is White Chapel any good? I almost bought the last album, but at that time, I really wasn't into death metal....however now, I can listen to it. What are those guys like. I also would like to recommend this album to you if you haven't already heard it. "Carnaflex: Hell Chose Me." See what you think.

I just don't really know what happened the production on here, the guitar sounds really rough.

Carnifex are a good band, though a little generic. The new Whitechapel ("A New Era of Corruption") is awesome with loads more dynamics, and the 3 guitarists make it sound ultra-heavy. It's more memorable than the Carnifex IMO...