Dominance: Resurrected

Clutch

Hellz yea! Indeedy, this is a good'un! :beerbang:

I just reviewed this one for Detritus zine a couple of weeks ago and it does indeed whomp some booty... check it out yo...

DOMINANCE – RESURRECTED (B+) Divebomb/Tribunal, 2009

10 Tracks, RT: 43:47 (plus enhanced video)

Damn, this is some killer stuff! Can you say “old school thrash,” boys and girls? Uncle Keith sure can! RESURRECTED is an awesome new release from Divebomb Records, an imprint of Tribunal Records dedicated to reissuing “lost” rock and metal albums/demos from days gone by. For the unfamiliar (which included me till this disc arrived in my mailbox), Philadelphia-based Dominance was a five piece thrash band that rose from the ashes of local faves Anvil B*tch (who released one album, RISE TO OFFEND, on New Renaissance Records back in ’86). The band released two demos under the Dominance name (1988 and 1990) and were apparently quite a draw on the Philly/South Jersey/Delaware club scene back in the day, opening for a number of big-name thrash bands and contributing a track to a METAL MASSACRE compilation album before the musical tides changed and the band slid back into obscurity. However, Dominance made enough of an impact on Tribunal Records honcho/Killwhitneydead vocalist Matthew Rudzinski’s life that he has decided to give their two demos (plus some additional live footage on an enhanced-CD portion) a long overdue official release (limited to 1000 copies), and what a treat it is. RESURRECTED packs a wallop, with ten tracks of tight, riffy thrash that should please fans of Flotsam & Jetsam, Overkill, Testament and Exodus, with a singer that brings back memories of the greatly missed Mike Howe of Metal Church. In short, this band frickin’ ripped!! How they weren’t snapped up by one of the big indie metal labels at the time is a mystery to me, because they definitely had the goods. What set Dominance apart from the hordes of other thrashin’ bands of the day was their unique (for the time period) use of sound samples in their songs. Though it’s fairly commonplace nowadays, not many bands were using clips from political speeches, religious sermons, TV/movie dialogue, etc. in their songs back then, except as intros. Dominance sprinkled them liberally throughout their tunes (beginning, middle, and end), making the samples an integral part of each song, and it definitely gives these rippin’ slabs of thrash their own unique flavor. I especially dug the amazingly catchy “This Is Only A Test,” but “Dreams of Supremacy,” “New Annihilation” and the title track got my head bangin’ and my air guitar goin’ as well. Even if you’ve never heard Dominance before, the combination of the killer music and the informative CD booklet (which features a lengthy interview with guitarists John Plumley and John Hebert about the band’s history, plus a selection of vintage concert flyers) is bound to stoke the fires of metal nostalgia as soon as you open the CD. I am very impressed with this release and look forward to finding out what other treasures Divebomb Records will be unearthing in the future. Pick this one up!!

32174.jpg

Some video evidence here...

The same label (Divebomb Records) has also released a 2-CD set by another band from the same area called Solitude, that's a damn good one too.

Hellz yea! Indeedy, this is a good'un! :beerbang:

I just reviewed this one for Detritus zine a couple of weeks ago and it does indeed whomp some booty... check it out yo...

DOMINANCE – RESURRECTED (B+) Divebomb/Tribunal, 2009

10 Tracks, RT: 43:47 (plus enhanced video)

Damn, this is some killer stuff! Can you say “old school thrash,” boys and girls? Uncle Keith sure can! RESURRECTED is an awesome new release from Divebomb Records, an imprint of Tribunal Records dedicated to reissuing “lost” rock and metal albums/demos from days gone by. For the unfamiliar (which included me till this disc arrived in my mailbox), Philadelphia-based Dominance was a five piece thrash band that rose from the ashes of local faves Anvil B*tch (who released one album, RISE TO OFFEND, on New Renaissance Records back in ’86). The band released two demos under the Dominance name (1988 and 1990) and were apparently quite a draw on the Philly/South Jersey/Delaware club scene back in the day, opening for a number of big-name thrash bands and contributing a track to a METAL MASSACRE compilation album before the musical tides changed and the band slid back into obscurity. However, Dominance made enough of an impact on Tribunal Records honcho/Killwhitneydead vocalist Matthew Rudzinski’s life that he has decided to give their two demos (plus some additional live footage on an enhanced-CD portion) a long overdue official release (limited to 1000 copies), and what a treat it is. RESURRECTED packs a wallop, with ten tracks of tight, riffy thrash that should please fans of Flotsam & Jetsam, Overkill, Testament and Exodus, with a singer that brings back memories of the greatly missed Mike Howe of Metal Church. In short, this band frickin’ ripped!! How they weren’t snapped up by one of the big indie metal labels at the time is a mystery to me, because they definitely had the goods. What set Dominance apart from the hordes of other thrashin’ bands of the day was their unique (for the time period) use of sound samples in their songs. Though it’s fairly commonplace nowadays, not many bands were using clips from political speeches, religious sermons, TV/movie dialogue, etc. in their songs back then, except as intros. Dominance sprinkled them liberally throughout their tunes (beginning, middle, and end), making the samples an integral part of each song, and it definitely gives these rippin’ slabs of thrash their own unique flavor. I especially dug the amazingly catchy “This Is Only A Test,” but “Dreams of Supremacy,” “New Annihilation” and the title track got my head bangin’ and my air guitar goin’ as well. Even if you’ve never heard Dominance before, the combination of the killer music and the informative CD booklet (which features a lengthy interview with guitarists John Plumley and John Hebert about the band’s history, plus a selection of vintage concert flyers) is bound to stoke the fires of metal nostalgia as soon as you open the CD. I am very impressed with this release and look forward to finding out what other treasures Divebomb Records will be unearthing in the future. Pick this one up!!

32174.jpg

Some video evidence here...

The same label (Divebomb Records) has also released a 2-CD set by another band from the same area called Solitude, that's a damn good one too.

I totally had you, Wes and the other thrash guys in mind when I posted this. Matt @ Tribunal is a very good friend of mine and when he kept talking about this one I sort of passed it off (sorry Matt, much to my shame). Then I picked up a copy and this thing rung my fucking bell. As stated above, great stuff.