Question for Retrospect?

glockose

Point taken loud and clear. In your mind what you release in "legit" and the "Right" people are getting paid. KOOL no problem with that.

Here's the thing Vegascds are clearly selling "Other peoples" boots Italian, Greek, Russian.

These are very clear and up front "boots" again no problem. Since if someone out there wants it there going to get it either from you or someone else.

Now if your so much for the musician isn't this a conflict of interest?

Or is it a complete spilt personality thing? where your "Retrospect records - Mr. Honest label owner for musicians rights & paying royalties" & then you turn your hat backwards and your "Vegascd's - Mr $$$ who cares who gets screwed I'm making money, There not MY boots I'm just selling used CD's"

Curious fans and musicians want to know.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I thought they were the same it was a Question for Retrospect on how they sleep at night.

But now that you have cleared that up

I have to apologize.

Who would have thought after all this time Sam has nothing to do with Vegascd's

Man I have been looking at these post on this whole subject

with great interest, and it is of a great number of these posts

that makes me realize why I don't order from some of these

so called" legit" sites...Having these war of words with each other

really makes one wonder..Like a lot of people here I spend alot

of my extra $$ on CD's...so thanks for all the replies that were

informative, it helped me save money and hassles. This reply is in no way dissing anyone..

You see I knew there was some reason I thought they were the same

Who is VegasCDs??

I have been a professional keyboard player / singer for 16 years and although i grew up in England , i now reside in Las Vegas

Damn and thats not you. amazing!

Again I am sorry for the confusion

Egads. Sounds like a split personality thing going on...

See, Sam McCaslin the stand-up record label owner thinks bootlegs are a BadThing™, mkay, but Sam McCaslin the CD seller thinks bootlegs are fine and spiffy!

Don't you get it?

It all depends which voices are talking...

"Hey self?"

"Yeah, whatcha want?"

"Wanna sell some bootlegs today?"

"Naw, I can't, I'm the record label owner. That would be bad."

"Ok, I'll take care of it."

"Good for you, self. I can stay clean then..."

*Self and self do the Snoopy dance*

:blink:

As I was reading on another part of this forum it seems that you Dan have no problems buying boots. You certainly had no problems selling illegal cd-r's yourself as advertised on this website not too many moons ago.

So um , are you trying to be a part of the problem or the solution?

Looks like the rope-a-dope doesn't end here.

Aww, c'mon Sam. You can do better than that. You want to dredge up that ancient history again?

Ok, I'll play. Sure, I've bought, sold, and traded bootlegs over the years, whether it be live material or unreleased stuff, as have a lot of the people here on the board.

There's a couple of huge fundamental differences between my situation and yours though:

1. I've always revealed if material was a boot or not. No surprises for anyone.

2. I'm not claiming to be a legitimate record label.

3. I'm not mass producing or bulk selling anything.

4. I'm not claiming to be a legitimate record label.

5. I'm not claiming to be a legitimate record label.

-Dan

Why is that such an issue for you to comprehend? This was NEVER an ISSUE

Point taken loud and clear. In your mind what you release is "legit" and the "Right" people are getting paid. KOOL no problem with that.

Here's the thing Vegascds are clearly selling "Other peoples" boots Italian, Greek, Russian.

These are very clear and up front "boots" again no problem. Since if someone out there wants it there going to get it either from you or someone else.

Now if your so much for the musician isn't this a conflict of interest? THIS WAS THE ISSUE

Curious fans and musicians want to know.

Retrospect Records IS and WILL CONTINUE TO BE a legitimate record label and corporation that signs more artists than any other.

Why is that such an issue for you to comprehend?

Are you short on words or creativity?

You're pretty much repeating the same words over and over again . Thought a 'legit' record label owner, who have a higher pride,than to repeatedly beg on, about how legit his company is.

Moreover im pretty sure 80'smetalcollector is a mix of Sam and some of his 'workers'(the ones who keep contradicting themselves when they type a message and insult some of the members here)

Sam,

Answer me this - Why do soo many people disagree with your business ethics? (I'm guessing' Jealousy) Why does Retrospect Records/VegasCd's have soo many enemies? (I'm also guessing' Jealousy) Why do people dislike you so much they therefore refuse to do any business with you?? (I'm still guessing' Jealousy) Surely to must wonder why?? Why isn't there controversy surrounding other labels that you think also bootleg?? Come on dude, what's your major malfunction??

PLEASE DO NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION WITH ANOTHER QUESTION OR TRY TO SWAY AWAY FROM THE TOPIC.

Kind regards

Dave

Suncity Records

• 3 months later...

Sounds like the appropriate place to add this:

I found this over at Full in Bloom Music. It is an interview with Brad Sinsel of TKO. Retrospect has two TKO cd's they were selling and I believe one of them has sold out.

FIB MUSIC: Who is the label Retrospect Records and who gave them permission to release "Let it Roll"?

Brad: That's a good question, if you find the answer to it, please let me know. I actually sent an email to them and never got a response.

FIB MUSIC: They look like they're a bootleg label and probably tied to the user Vegascds on Ebay, who also does a lot of bootleg stuff. But you emailed them?

Brad: Yeah, I wrote something like, So very pleased to see that "Let it Roll" is finally being put out there again, by the way could you please explain to me who put this together. And I never got a response. I don't even know where they're out of.

FIB MUSIC: They have also released "In Your Face"?

Brad: Oh, Jeez. You know, I just have to remind myself of why I released this stuff in the first place. And that was to get the music out there, that's my peace. Because if you try to keep up with all the piracy on the internet, it will drive you nuts.

http://www.fullinbloommusic.com/brad_sinsel.html

Yeh I've already seen that interview. Let the facts be known...

Both TKO releases were in the beginning of my ownership of the label.

I emailed Brad and asked him if he'd like to release those 2 albums. His only response was "I don't own the rights". I then asked him "who does?" and he never replied back.

At that point I said 'fuck it' and released it anyways.

For the record , I never received an email from Brad , only one from the bass player who I gave a few free discs to.

Brad is welcome to contact me at anytime to work out a deal.

I do not plan on printing up any more TKO discs until he does.

So that's the story.

Yeh I've already seen that interview. Let the facts be known...

Both TKO releases were in the beginning of my ownership of the label.

I emailed Brad and asked him if he'd like to release those 2 albums. His only response was "I don't own the rights". I then asked him "who does?" and he never replied back.

At that point I said 'fuck it' and released it anyways.

For the record , I never received an email from Brad , only one from the bass player who I gave a few free discs to.

Brad is welcome to contact me at anytime to work out a deal.

I do not plan on printing up any more TKO discs until he does.

So that's the story.

Wow, and you will have to excuse me. Although, you guys have been talking about this for a long time now, I, on the other hand, just realized that Retrospect had their own little section over here. After browsing through several posts, I can see that my initial thoughts about the label were true. But one question that continue's to contradict......While defending your label, over and over, you continually state, "ask the musicians if they ever got paid on other labels", constantly stating that the musician is no longer getting screwed, because you pay the artist.....if you figure that you printed a hundred each of the TKO titles, sold them for 15 a piece, say your cost to print was a few hundred dollars (at most) for each pressing, And not one of the band members has ever seen a dime, while you make over a couple of grand? You are worse than any label, because they footed the bill for the recording you stole, they paid for the promotion, they paid for the band to live, they paid for a tour. So although, you may think that you are doing a great service to the world, all you are doing is putting out second-rate product (I didn't even realize, that most of your product came out on cdr's) and ripping off musicians in the process.

Yeh you're right man , I totally rip-off everyone who does or doesn't sign with me and I have no interest in paying anyone what they are owed (my heroes are the guys at Majestic Rock so I'm following their lead). Amazing how I've stayed in business so long really isn't it?

....or did you miss the part where I said all Brad needs to do is contact me for his cut?

:ahole:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.