Kiss - Unmasked

Kiss - Unmasked Fave Song  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I still chuckle whenever this thread gets bumped and I see UNMASKED referred to as a "Masterpiece" :lol:

A Master-piece of junk maybe. :P

I'm glad I was only 6 years old when this came out because if I would of been an actual fan of this band and heard this after the great stuff they did from 74-77, I would of been pissed. :taz:

Besides, we all know their true Masterpiece is MUSIC FROM THE ELDER, eh Wes? ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still chuckle whenever this thread gets bumped and I see UNMASKED referred to as a "Masterpiece" :lol:

I'm glad I was only 6 years old when this came out because if I would of been an actual fan of this band and heard this after the great stuff they did from 74-77, I would of been pissed. :taz:

Uh right. :tumbsup:

Seriously I do like that album, but a masterpiece it is not.

Now for a real KISS masterpiece look no further than "Creatures of the Night", "Lick it Up", "Revenge" and the self-titled release. :banger:

• 3 years later...

Uh right. :tumbsup:

Seriously I do like that album, but a masterpiece it is not.

Now for a real KISS masterpiece look no further than "Creatures of the Night", "Lick it Up", "Revenge" and the self-titled release. :banger:

I'll throw "Rock N Roll Over", "Hotter Than Hell" and almost "Love Gun", "Destroyer" and "Dressed To Kill" in that mix.

I figured I'd bump this so Keef can read about how some think that Unmasked is a masterpiece. :lol:

No love for Torpedo Girl?

I actually used to love that song but I love all of Ace's stuff but looking back that tune was one of the worst things he did. Now "Talk to Me" and "Two Sides of Coin" are good Ace songs and tow of the better songs on this album.

Reading this thread inspired me to dust off my "UNMASKED" CD for the first time in at least five years (!) and listen to it on the way to work this AM... and with all due respect to Kiss and the folks here who dig this album, I wished I hadn't bothered. I will still stand by my vote for Ace's "Talk To Me" as the best song, but trying to pick the best song on UNMASKED is kinda like trying to name the best player on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays... because there is so LITTLE to work with!! Parts of this album almost sound like they were trying to jump on the early 80s new-wave bandwagon (the verses in "Is That You?" could've come from an early Cars album for Chrissake), and the production is waaaaayyyy too slick and poppy for my tastes. So this one will go back on my shelf for another five years until I get another jones to hear "Talk To Me," I guess. Hell, I'd rather listen to CRAZY NIGHTS for 24 hours straight than listen to this one again and I HATE Crazy Nights too. When it comes to "atypical" Kiss albums, give me THE ELDER or DYNASTY over UNMASKED any day.

And it's been 5 years now.. Have you dusted off Unmasked again and given it another spin Man??? :whistle:

Reading this thread inspired me to dust off my "UNMASKED" CD for the first time in at least five years (!) and listen to it on the way to work this AM... and with all due respect to Kiss and the folks here who dig this album, I wished I hadn't bothered. I will still stand by my vote for Ace's "Talk To Me" as the best song, but trying to pick the best song on UNMASKED is kinda like trying to name the best player on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays... because there is so LITTLE to work with!! Parts of this album almost sound like they were trying to jump on the early 80s new-wave bandwagon (the verses in "Is That You?" could've come from an early Cars album for Chrissake), and the production is waaaaayyyy too slick and poppy for my tastes. So this one will go back on my shelf for another five years until I get another jones to hear "Talk To Me," I guess. Hell, I'd rather listen to CRAZY NIGHTS for 24 hours straight than listen to this one again and I HATE Crazy Nights too. When it comes to "atypical" Kiss albums, give me THE ELDER or DYNASTY over UNMASKED any day.

And it's been 5 years now.. Have you dusted off Unmasked again and given it another spin Man??? :whistle:

I think that Unmasked and Crazy Nights are two albums that Keith never plays but at Unmasked is allowed in his house.

I think that Unmasked and Crazy Nights are two albums that Keith never plays but at Unmasked is allowed in his house.

UNMASKED squeaks by for "Talk to Me" and "Torpedo Girl." CRAZY NIGHTS has no redeeming social value whatsoever and does not exist as far as I'm concerned. :pimp:

By the way, I had to laugh seeing my comment from five years ago that finding a good song on UNMASKED is "like trying to name the best player on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays," cuz even though they were a joke when I wrote that post, they've actually become a semi-competent team since then. How times have changed!! :blink:

I think this was one of the first pre-Crazy nights albums that I picked up on CD (I had picked up Lick it up and Alive on cassette, but that was it) that wasnt a best of, and I was like "What the fuck is this shit?"

There are a couple of ok songs, but even they are weak in my opinion.

Only thing that stops it being my worst Kiss album is the horrible attempt at grunge/modern metal that was Carnival of souls (The Elder is saved by the song World without heroes, but overall thats a pretty crappy album too).

To be honest, I am not as into the pre-Crazy nights albums as most people here, but nearly all those albums did have some fantastic songs on each one, Unmasked didnt have one single great song.

To be honest, I am not as into the pre-Crazy nights albums as most people here, but nearly all those albums did have some fantastic songs on each one, Unmasked didnt have one single great song.

:omg:

As stated above, 'Naked City' is my favourite Kiss song. In fact, it is easily my favourite Kiss song! Hence the statement above made me spill my coffee a little bit. th_shrug.gif

UNMASKED squeaks by for "Talk to Me" and "Torpedo Girl." CRAZY NIGHTS has no redeeming social value whatsoever and does not exist as far as I'm concerned. :pimp:

By the way, I had to laugh seeing my comment from five years ago that finding a good song on UNMASKED is "like trying to name the best player on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays," cuz even though they were a joke when I wrote that post, they've actually become a semi-competent team since then. How times have changed!! :blink:

Not only that but they are now the "Rays" and not the "Devil Rays".

Yes how times change.

Not only that but they are now the "Rays" and not the "Devil Rays".

Yes how times change.

I hear they dropped the "Devil" from the name cuz they were tired of constant complaints from the local Bible thumpers who thought the name was EEEEEEEEVIL!!! Seriously.

...which is ridiculous, of course. If Satan had been on their side all this time they'd have five or six World Series trophies by now :lol: