Circus Magazine

While wandering around the Net I came across this page of trivia and history about Circus magazine, thought it was pretty interesting reading. I had no idea that guys like Jim Farber (now a music critic for NY Daily News) and Kurt Loder (MTV News, Rolling Stone) once wrote for Circus in the 1970s! It looks like Circus was more of a Rolling Stone type publication back in those days (i.e. not just music, was covered, they also delved into current events and politics) whereas by the 80s it had become more of a straight-up rock mag. Anyway, if y'all want to check it out here's the link:

http://rockcritics.com/features/circus-intro.html

I like Paul because he tried to support newer bands but also did as much as he could supporting bands that help get that magazine going.

Paul was super cool. He brought my wife and I backstage on the Metal Edge Tour in 2000. He was like "So, what band would you like to meet first?" Of course, we told him Dokken. Paul was like, "ummmm, not sure what kind of mood Don will be in, it depends on whether his meds have kicked in yet or not (laughing)." He went to the tour bus and asked the band if we could meet them. We did, along with Warrant, Ratt, LA Guns and Firehouse. Super guy. Another funny story was he took a picture of my wife and I with Phil Lewis. I joked with him about getting it centered, he laughed and said he was a trained photographer. What was really funny was when I got the picts back, you can see Paul's finger in the right bottom corner of the shot. Pretty funny stuff. Great guy though. Here's the pict.

LAGuns.jpg

• 4 months later...
I did find 2 copies of KISS Kollection from Teen Throbs Mag...Pretty cool

So Fat Freddy(Keef) I got 2 so I promised you if I got any I let ya

have one so pm me and I'll send it to ya...

Y'all got a PM bro. ;)

Y'all got a PM bro. ;)

Saw it bro...Ya got one also... :drink:

I'm still keeping my eye out for the old mags...

Y'all got a PM bro. ;)

Got it brutha. Will start camping out by my mailbox tomorrow. :) Thanx a bunch! :drink:

Y'all got a PM bro. ;)

Got it brutha. Will start camping out by my mailbox tomorrow. :) Thanx a bunch! :drink:

Your Welcome...In da mail today...

Got the KISS mag in the mail over the weekend, Metalhead...thanx a bunch, y'all RAWK! :headbanger:

• 2 years later...

Dredging up an oldie here to mention that Jon (aka &then) recently came across a stack of vintage Circus mags (circa 1982-85) while closet cleaning and passed'em on to me. First of all, I give him mad props for taking MUCH better care of his rock mags than I ever did back in the day, because these things arrived in near-mint shape... usually when I bought Circus (or any other mag), I'd keep it around for a while and then chop it up to hang the various band photos on my bedroom wall or inside my high school locker...:lol:

Anyway, it's been a BLAST reading some of these old stories about stuff that has since gone on to become legendary moments in rock history, like Van Halen headlining the US Festival, Quiet Riot's "Breakout Success" with the METAL HEALTH album, an essay on whether Ozzy's releasing the SPEAK OF THE DEVIL live LP at the same time as Sabbath's LIVE EVIL was a dig at his former band, or an early story about Metallica while they were in the studio working on the MASTER OF PUPPETS album. Even the ads (for then-current albums that are now considered classics, i.e. Iron Maiden's PIECE OF MIND) are a treasure trove of memories too!

Thanks again Jon! (tips hat)

• 2023 Gold Donors
Dredging up an oldie here to mention that Jon (aka &then) recently came across a stack of vintage Circus mags (circa 1982-85) while closet cleaning and passed'em on to me. First of all, I give him mad props for taking MUCH better care of his rock mags than I ever did back in the day, because these things arrived in near-mint shape... usually when I bought Circus (or any other mag), I'd keep it around for a while and then chop it up to hang the various band photos on my bedroom wall or inside my high school locker...:lol:

Anyway, it's been a BLAST reading some of these old stories about stuff that has since gone on to become legendary moments in rock history, like Van Halen headlining the US Festival, Quiet Riot's "Breakout Success" with the METAL HEALTH album, an essay on whether Ozzy's releasing the SPEAK OF THE DEVIL live LP at the same time as Sabbath's LIVE EVIL was a dig at his former band, or an early story about Metallica while they were in the studio working on the MASTER OF PUPPETS album. Even the ads (for then-current albums that are now considered classics, i.e. Iron Maiden's PIECE OF MIND) are a treasure trove of memories too!

Thanks again Jon! (tips hat)

K, no one 'dredges' quite like you do! :lol: I'm glad that you are enjoying the older Circus mags! As to their condition....:rofl:! Well, I did try to keep them in fairly good condition (at least for myself, havin' 'em for so many years & not really knowin' what I would do with them, all of which do kinda surprise even myself at times ;)) for nostalgia's sake! I will also admit that some other mags (I'm not sure if I should mention which mag, but, ok, High Times, there, I said it :lol:) that I bought new back in those dayz didn't fair as well, as many pages of them either became wall posters or impromptu fish tank backgrounds (some of the fish probably wondered, if they can/did, WTF?!)! :whistle:

I think/hoped you would enjoy both readin' the articles & reviews of the new releases as well as many of the metal bands of the then day, especially readin' many of your posts here in the forums! You are both extremely well versed, talented & have years of experience/knowledge with many varying forms of rock music! Sending you the Circus mags seemed to be a good/right choice. Besides, not many folks showed much interest, so it was an easy choice to send 'em to a new, home! :headbanger:

Enjoy & YOU are welcome, K! :)

I have BOXES of Circus and Metal Edge magazines in my basement. All in pretty good shape. From time to time I like to pull out a few copies and page through them. Man, I miss the 80's..... :crying: