Van Halen

VH: Best Of Each Era  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

believe it or not my fav VH album is II, I went with Balance also, with VH it almost was a double wammy! because no matter how bad a VH album was (Diver Down) you were never gonna be upset cause you always knew that Eddie would never let you down! and he never did, did he? until Haggler joined, Eddie played keyboards, they started doing songs about Love, end of story.

• 2 weeks later...
I should preface my picks by stating I really can't stand this band. That said, if I'm forced--and by "forced" I mean at gunpoint--to listen to them, my "favorites"--and boy do I use that term loosely--are "1984" (DLR) and "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" (SH).

Yeah, I have a deep hatred for the band too but I'm surprised the 'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge' doesn't get a little more attention because, imo, it was the only time that I've heard that they sounded half decent for more than the obligatory one or two songs per album. 'Dream is over' is a killer song, imo. But even that song is a showcase for how shit they really were. The choruses are heaven on a donut stick, but the verses (majority of the song) are just utter shit... imo, of course. :)

I should preface my picks by stating I really can't stand this band. That said, if I'm forced--and by "forced" I mean at gunpoint--to listen to them, my "favorites"--and boy do I use that term loosely--are "1984" (DLR) and "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge" (SH).

Yeah, I have a deep hatred for the band too but I'm surprised the 'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge' doesn't get a little more attention because, imo, it was the only time that I've heard that they sounded half decent for more than the obligatory one or two songs per album. 'Dream is over' is a killer song, imo. But even that song is a showcase for how shit they really were. The choruses are heaven on a donut stick, but the verses (majority of the song) are just utter shit... imo, of course. :)

F.U.C.K. is a masterpiece IMO with not one bad song. :banger:

• 1 month later...

I know may be new on this forum ut I'm by no means new to music.

Van Halen + Sammy Hagar was like a match made in heaven almost akin to beng a supergroup.

Sam's vocals are just so much more melodic and soulful than DLR's wailing. The songs they wrote together were amazing just check out Mine All Mine on OU812.

I'll always hope that Sam and Eddie bury the hatchet and reunite at some point.

I put 5150 for Sam and VHII for DLR.

VHII is slightly better than the first with greats like Somebody Get Me A Doctor and DOA!

• 2 years later...

DLR-a tie between Fair Warning and 1984

Hagar-a tie between Balance and 5150

Haven't heard Diver Down yet.

Theres probably a reason you havent heard DD, I will come right out and tell you it's pretty much shit, Eddie is the only reason I keep my cd, I rarely, and I mean never listen to it!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Fair Warning and 5150 for me. I also have to comment on the new VH song "Tattoo". I've listened to it 3 times and still can't get into it. I know its the first DLR/VH album since 84' but it still not the same without Michael Anthony. Not really sure if I will get the new one. I have all there cds from VH1 thru the double live album. Nothing after that. They really did nothing for me. I heard that Sammy Hagar had heard the new song and said it was not new at all. He said that song was a left over from older DLR sessions. He suspects most of the new album to be that way too. Is it me or does Wolfgang Van Halen look a lot like Chaz Bono in the Tattoo video???

Fair Warning and 5150 for me. I also have to comment on the new VH song "Tattoo". I've listened to it 3 times and still can't get into it. I know its the first DLR/VH album since 84' but it still not the same without Michael Anthony. Not really sure if I will get the new one. I have all there cds from VH1 thru the double live album. Nothing after that. They really did nothing for me. I heard that Sammy Hagar had heard the new song and said it was not new at all. He said that song was a left over from older DLR sessions. He suspects most of the new album to be that way too. Is it me or does Wolfgang Van Halen look a lot like Chaz Bono in the Tattoo video???

Yeah but to be fair, Sammy has bullshitted a lot since leaving the band.

Not saying Dave, Alex or Eddie are great guys and tell the truth all the time, but to be frank I take anything Sammy says about this album and the songs, with a pinch of salt.

As for Tattoo, its subpar, no two ways about it.

Its certainly got that classic VH sound, but the song is just not the back with a bang song that people wanted, and the chorus is bloody annoying.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave era - Fair Warning

Sammy era - OU812

Hell, yeah - I'm with Evil Rick on this one ... Fair Warning has got to be one of my favourite albums of all time ...