Sam has been caught out big-time

David

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta agree with Cap'n here. Claiming nonreceipt after posting here that you have in fact received them is dumb, not to mention unethical as hell. You can claim SNAD ("significantly not as described"), BUT the majority of these claims fail. Make sure that if you file with PayPal under SNAD, that you fully explain the CD-R issue. If your claim gets rejected, follow up with a phone call. I have gotten *much* further in disputes with a phone call to PayPal "fleshing out" the details of the situation.

The other part of this equation that may result in deciding the claim against you is that while CD-Rs are prohibited on Ebay, they are NOT prohibited when the CD-Rs are officially released by the artist. All Sam has to do is say that they are official releases (which some of them are) and it becomes a giant he-said/he-said, and you will most likely lose.

Assuming that you (hopefully) paid with credit card, once PayPal denies your claim, you can file a chargeback with your credit card company. They are much less forgiving than PayPal.

(not taking sides here, just pointing out that in this instance the deck is stacked in favor of the seller; PayPal autodenies most SNAD claims).

-Dan

Gotta agree with Cap'n here. Claiming nonreceipt after posting here that you have in fact received them is dumb, not to mention unethical as hell. You can claim SNAD ("significantly not as described"), BUT the majority of these claims fail. Make sure that if you file with PayPal under SNAD, that you fully explain the CD-R issue. If your claim gets rejected, follow up with a phone call. I have gotten *much* further in disputes with a phone call to PayPal "fleshing out" the details of the situation.

The other part of this equation that may result in deciding the claim against you is that while CD-Rs are prohibited on Ebay, they are NOT prohibited when the CD-Rs are officially released by the artist. All Sam has to do is say that they are official releases (which some of them are) and it becomes a giant he-said/he-said, and you will most likely lose.

Assuming that you (hopefully) paid with credit card, once PayPal denies your claim, you can file a chargeback with your credit card company. They are much less forgiving than PayPal.

(not taking sides here, just pointing out that in this instance the deck is stacked in favor of the seller; PayPal autodenies most SNAD claims).

-Dan

Dan,

Not trying to start anything here, but didn't you suggested the exact same thing recently...

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.ph...ndpost&p=108505

If you want to win a Not as described case with Paypal. Take the cd to a music store and have some confirm its a cdr and if they will or you know them well enough send Paypal there company name and phone number and who to contact. I lost a case with Paypal just like this. Only bad thing about this process is that if you know the store or person well enough as this guy did they can say anything. Thing that pissed me off the most about that deal was that Paypal always says if we need any additional info we will contact you. Had they contacted me and told me what he had done I could have done the same. Its old news but a Lesson learned

-Dan

Dan,

Not trying to start anything here, but didn't you suggested the exact same thing recently...

Funny thing...out of all the times I've had to file a claim with paypal, not ONCE have they contacted me for furthur information, whether my case was eventually won or lost. I don't believe they ever actually contact anyone...on the "he said, she said" cases the assholes probably just end up flipping a coin... <_<

Dan,

Yes, I suggested it as an option. In that case the buyer had CLEARLY been ripped off, no gray area whatsoever. The other big difference being that the seller was not a regular here. Posting about what you intend to do when you KNOW that the seller is reading is not a smart move... also an argument can be made in this case (and has been argued ad nauseum) that the Retrospect CD-R reissues are legit, therefore there is no deception involved. Not necessarily my stance, but there's been enough discussion on that whole issue as it is.

I'm just saying that (1) it's not as clear cut a case as in the other example, and (2) there's enough gray area here that the buyer probably will not win a SNAD dispute.

-Dan

why don't you just contact VegasCds and tell him you are not happy with your order and Sam will be more than happy to accept your returns. He has never denied that to anyone, as far as i know.

Thats one thing that most people seem to forget here is that Sam will always accept a return if you are not satisfied with your item(s).

why don't you just contact VegasCds and tell him you are not happy with your order and Sam will be more than happy to accept your returns. He has never denied that to anyone, as far as i know.

Thats one thing that most people seem to forget here is that Sam will always accept a return if you are not satisfied with your item(s).

I was gonna suggest the same thing.... but I just figured most people would rather whine about it. Besides, if Sam did accept the return everyone would be so dissappointed. But good idea... try asking for a return.

I seem to remember one of the potential problems for Sony with their root kill problem was that the 'CD' was not legally a CD as it did not conform to the Red Book Standard. A CD-R is a CD-R not a CD, Legally. They are different standards. One the Orange Book and the other the Red Book.

Personally I'm still of the opinion I really don't care what the format is as long as it's clearly stated.

I agree, but with it "Clearly" stated, a few people may be more happy, but my guess is alot more wouldn't buy them, and he's going where the money is whether how decietful it is. He just leaves them a Negative and still gets the money, If they leave him a negative, it doesn't really even hurt him. He plays a shady game of eBay

Guest cerebus

Recordjinky and LVKix, I find it interesting that you defend Sam's return / satisfaction guarantee. However, I didn't see you guys post in regards to the Sweet Teaze issue? Is it safe to assume that your OK with that? How about the Terra CD? Was it OK to reissue that without permission of the band? Since the two of you seem to defend Mr. Vegas on just about every other issue, I was wondering your stance on the bootleg allegations.

Recordjinky and LVKix,  I find it interesting that you defend Sam's return / satisfaction guarantee.  However, I didn't see you guys post in regards to the Sweet Teaze issue?  Is it safe to assume that your OK with that?  How about the Terra CD?  Was it OK to reissue that without permission of the band?  Since the two of you seem to defend Mr. Vegas on just about every other issue, I was wondering your stance on the bootleg allegations.

I did respond to the sweet teaze issue... it was a sad attempt by the competition to bring down Restrospect. I imagine one might have to use such tactics if one can not compete. Just too bad you all don't know the whole story and what one might try to defeat a rival. Enough said.

I don't think it was any attempt of Davids to bring down Sam, or to "one-up" himself. He had some info and he shared it here. Nothing more, nothing less. The only reason you posted what you did was to try and divert attention away from the matter at hand, as usual. The facts are right there on the table and the entire Retrospect camp is avoiding them like the plague.... It's easy to see.

I wasn't aware that Sam had such a liberal return policy. Again, my suggestion with filing the claim was based on the assumption that he wouldn't accept a return of the merchandise in question.

Recordjinky and LVKix,  I find it interesting that you defend Sam's return / satisfaction guarantee.  However, I didn't see you guys post in regards to the Sweet Teaze issue?  Is it safe to assume that your OK with that?  How about the Terra CD?  Was it OK to reissue that without permission of the band?  Since the two of you seem to defend Mr. Vegas on just about every other issue, I was wondering your stance on the bootleg allegations.

I did respond to the sweet teaze issue... it was a sad attempt by the competition to bring down Restrospect. I imagine one might have to use such tactics if one can not compete. Just too bad you all don't know the whole story and what one might try to defeat a rival. Enough said.

Actually, that's not nearly enough said...not by a long shot. Since you seem to be privy to the whole story, how about sharing? I would imagine though, that if Sam had an excuse for the Sweet Teaze release, we would have heard about it by now.

Guest ChrisSlade

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions on how to handle the situation I am in regarding the cd-r`s I paid over $200.00 for by VegasCds. As much as I want to try and get my money back, I am afraid this guy is going to screw my feedback; from what you are all saying.

I have filed a complaint with the postmaster general. It seems as though once he put a stamp on the merchadise, after falsely adverstising the item is a federal offense.

I can`t imagine I am the only person who got taken from this guy. Hopefully, he will have to answer for how he is misleading customers, and will be dealt with so noone else will have to be put in my situation.

I love 80`s rock, metal, glam, sleaze, etc... and when I have some extra money I love to buy music from the era I love the most. I would never mislead anyone, and just want the same respect when I buy on Ebay.

I love this site. I have been turned on to so many bands I never new exisited back in the day. Dan thanks for turning me on to "Mystery" Cheers...Chris :drink:

i don't what you are talking about concerning "defending" Sams return / guarantee policy -- there is nothing to defend - its his policy and many overlook it. i am stating what simply is.

as far as other issues go, i do not work for or represent Retrospect Records so i do not speak on behalf of them. i have my opinions and so do all of you. Whether i choose to voice my opinions is up to me - but i have found that it is usually a waste of time in this forum. the bottom line is , and the FACT remains that there are the select few here that have it out for Sam and anything he has his name on. Whatever he does , there are those who will find fault and condemn him and bash him and always try and one up him, regardless of how little they actually truly know about each situation. Screw that, i don't want anything to do with people like that. What a load of bollocks...

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions on how to handle the situation I am in regarding the cd-r`s I paid over $200.00 for by VegasCds. As much as I want to try and get my money back, I am afraid this guy is going to screw my feedback; from what you are all saying.

I have filed a complaint with the postmaster general. It seems as though once he put a stamp on the merchadise, after falsely adverstising the item is a federal offense.

I can`t imagine I am the only person who got taken from this guy. Hopefully, he will have to answer for how he is misleading customers, and will be dealt with so noone else will have to be put in my situation.

I love 80`s rock, metal, glam, sleaze, etc... and when I have some extra money I love to buy music from the era I love the most. I would never mislead anyone, and just want the same respect when I buy on Ebay.

I love this site. I have been turned on to so many bands I never new exisited back in the day. Dan thanks for turning me on to "Mystery" Cheers...Chris :drink:

Did you ask for a refund before you took this route? From what's been said here, it sounds like getting your money back shouldn't be a problem.

I don't think it was any attempt of Davids to bring down Sam, or to "one-up" himself. He had some info and he shared it here. Nothing more, nothing less. The only reason you posted what you did was to try and divert attention away from the matter at hand, as usual. The facts are right there on the table and the entire Retrospect camp is avoiding them like the plague.... It's easy to see.

No disrespect intended here....But you are only hearing one side of the story. As I've said before, I do not speak for Retrospect. So don't assume that Retrospect would agree 100 % with everything I have posted here. As in all, or at least in most, cases people are only privy to certain information... and obviously people base their opinions on what they know. Or in some cases... what they THINK they know. As far as "facts being on the table"... you have only seen one side of this issue here on this thread. If Sam or his label do not respond in this thread you may only ever know one side of this issue. I would guess you most likely will not hear from Retrospect.. Think about it..why waste time going around in circles here..? This is just one of those situations where no matter what..NOBODY will ever change their mind. So why keep this thread alive..?

Just a guess... but if Sam has any idea whats going on here on this site... he is probably sitting back laughing at the whole thing. Like they say.. "There is no such thing as bad press". I would guess that for every one person who doesn't like Sam or Retrospect there are 100s who didn't even know Retrospect existed... Now, thanks to people like most of you and sites much like this... he has many more people checking his website and buying his releases. So.. why should Retrospect reply..? What do you want Retrospect to say..? "Hey HH thanks for making people aware that Retrospect Records exists"...

As Recordjnky said... and I quote.. "Whether i choose to voice my opinions is up to me - but i have found that it is usually a waste of time in this forum. the bottom line is , and the FACT remains that there are the select few here that have it out for Sam and anything he has his name on."

Cheers... :drink:

Just a guess... but if Sam has any idea whats going on here on this site... he is probably sitting back laughing at the whole thing. Like they say.. "There is no such thing as bad press". I would guess that for every one person who doesn't like Sam or Retrospect there are 100s who didn't even know Retrospect existed... Now, thanks to people like most of you and sites much like this... he has many more people checking his website and buying his releases. So.. why should Retrospect reply..? What do you want Retrospect to say..? "Hey HH thanks for making people aware that Retrospect Records exists"...

Without wishing to include myself in an issue I know nothing of (aside from what I've repeatedly read)... I have to say that this is 100% true. I'm a prime example. I never really knew of Retrospect Records (even though I bought Bittersweet when it was released) but I'm now planning to spend money I really don't have in order to obtain some of their releases. Regardless of what people have said, good or bad about the label, the constant, repetitive and multiple threads are certainly - I assume - getting people to look at the source of all the carry-on to see what it's all about. And it's hard for a fan of the genre to listen to some of those Mariah, Defcon or Manila Thrills samples and not be interested in some of the music on display... even though I am skeptical about the whole CDR issue, the music just sounds awesome!

Cheers,

cute_kitten.jpg

Guest cerebus

Just because Jeffrey Dahmer never confessed doesn't mean that he didnt kill, chop and eat a couple of people. Using your logic, you'd have us believe that there is a very simple and reasonable explanation why Sam was caught bootlegging Sweet Teaze and Terra. You hold the answer that would clear this entire mess up, but you don't want to tell us because Sam gets more business having his reputation bashed to the fullest? Yeah. OK. Right. I call Bull Shit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.