1989 POLL

WHAT WAS THE BEST DEBUT FROM 1989  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Kinda strange, I like the Vain release the best... but voted for Bad English. Silly...maybe, Stupid... maybe... just think the Band English release stands the test of time better.

It is a really hard poll because IMO Vain's 'No respect' is filler-less, perfect hard rock n'roll. Danger Danger's debut has only one or 2 fillers, but just got there for me. Bad English's debut definately has some fillers, but the good tracks are on a whole other playing field. Such a hard poll...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm shocked that no one has picked Mr. Big or Extreme

It's no shock to me, and living proof that the popular bands of any genre are seldom (ever?) the best of the genre. IMO, both those CDs have about 2 or 3 great songs on them, but can't even remotely compare with some on this list that wouldn't know what a filler was if it slapped them across the face with a cold fish.

Biggest surprise for me? When the hell did Tora Tora get such a following???? :lol: I like the guys and that debut, but am really surprised that although they're not getting too many votes most people have mentioned them in their top 2 or 3. Who'd have guessed? Not me. :D

Geoff - Don't you rate the Giant albums my boy!!!!

Absolutely LOVE Giant. Somehow they came in 8th on this list, but that means there's at least 8 almost perfect albums here, IMO. Unfortunately the debut has some unmistakable fillers amongst the pure gold, which brings it down a bit. Still, Giant are definately one of my fave bands about the place...

wow, very cool Tangier made it on the list!!!!!!!

in order, Giant/Bad English/Tangier

• 2023 Gold Donors

Wow, this was really a tuff one. A lot of good stuff came out in '89. I liked Danger Danger, Skid Row, Babylon A.D., Giant, Vain, Bad English, Pretty Boy Floyd, Tora Tora, Tangier, Enuff Z' Nuff and Mr. Big. Ultimately XYZ got my vote.

Giant and Signal for me.

It's no shock to me, and living proof that the popular bands of any genre are seldom (ever?) the best of the genre. IMO, both those CDs have about 2 or 3 great songs on them, but can't even remotely compare with some on this list that wouldn't know what a filler was if it slapped them across the face with a cold fish.

Biggest surprise for me? When the hell did Tora Tora get such a following???? :lol: I like the guys and that debut, but am really surprised that although they're not getting too many votes most people have mentioned them in their top 2 or 3. Who'd have guessed? Not me. :D

I'm surprised Tora Tora isn't in everybodies top few. :P

Yeah, I posted under the Tangier theread that I didn't realize they had 4 albums out. But on that note I'm sure there are a ton of bands that have indies floating around that they sold at shows before they were anything but we don't call those their first albums. We call the first cd out on a major lable their first and all those indies "demos". :P

That's a great point about the popular bands. When I'm looking for somthing to listen to I very rarely grab Bon Jovi or other big selling bands from my collection. That's also a great point about Tora Tora, who knew they had these fans. Maybe we should do a Tora Tora poll :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
:) Tough call but I had to go with Babylon A.D. here... Skid Row would be a close second but after the 10 millionth airing of "I Remember You" and/or "18 And Life" on MTV, radio, VH1 Classic, etc. I hardly ever want to listen to that CD again

Yea, Extremely tough call here.. But I too went with Babylon A.D. Hell WE saw em BEFORE Their album came out, didn't We Bro??

Damn they are good live.. And yea Skid Row was a close second, but it got SO Over played......

Actually, I take that back.. Dangerous Toys would be a close second, with Skid Row third..... :P

Ah, another poll I missed back when it was first posted. '89 was truly a great year for hard rock and also the year I started getting a serious addiction for the stuff (I turned 16 that year). Skid Row easily gets my vote, as I simply can't get enough of that classic debut. Sure, there were many others nipping at its heels, but in the end, the killer vocals of Sebastian Bach combined with some awesome songwriting on "Youth Gone Wild," "Can't Stand the Heartache," and "18 & Life" give the Skidsters the win.

• 1 month later...
How awesome would it be if you made a compilation of a song from each of the above debut albums? :banger:

If/when I ever get the time I'd like to make a compilation for each year, starting from 1984 - the 17 best songs of each year... that'd be cool. I've wanted to do it for ages, but what a task... :( Any slav- uh, I mean takers interested in doing it for me?

• 1 year later...