Retrospect... what do people really think?

glam_junkie

What is your opinion on Retrospect Records?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so about a dozen will buy more?  wow , that'll really help Sam fork out the additional $1000 it takes for silver discs.  Let's see... $20,000 for 20 silver cd's or $20,000 for 80 test pressings?  Seems like a simple answer.  A $250 risk is easier to swallow than a $1250 risk , wouldn't you say?  Or maybe you guys just can't figure that out. 

See , it doesn't really matter what 25% of 50 people on H.H. think.  It's the hundreds of others who buy from RR/VegasCds on a monthly basis who matter.  You think he's able to release over 20 cd's a month because he's LOSING money? 

And if you think Sam is going to press 1,000 units of a 4-song Uzi Suite ep (for example) then you're smokin crack.

XL is an original silver cd as are a few others on the site.  Nothing 're-issued' about it.

Aren't you the one who said Retrospect is one of the biggest indie labels on the planet. If you sell 100's of cd's a week, imagine that number on silver pressed cd's.

Do me a favour, although I really don't deserve one. :P In the month of February compare the sales of the top 3 silver pressed cd's on Retrospect to that of the top 3 cd-r's sold. Let me know the result. If the silver pressings don't blow away the cd-r's, then I should shut up, I know nothing. However if the silver pressed crush the others and make the extra 1000$ spent seem like peanuts, than this poll may show some actual truths. Include the Vegascd sales as well, not only the direct label sales.

Maybe instead of releasing 20 cd's at a time, release 2 or 3 good titles and promote them like crazy. These 2 or 3 titles should be fantastic releases, no half ass crap that really sucks, because the band wrote and produced these songs, in a garage in 1991. I bet you these 2 or 3 releases will in the end, years from now continue to sell while many of the poorly made and produced cd's will be long forgotten.

When it comes to music, at least for me it's quality in every sense of the word that matters, not quantity. I have only about 300 cd's in my collection, I know pretty much every hook and lyric to those cd's, they are the precious chosen. Make Retrospect cd's part of the precious chosen, for others. Wouldn't it be better to know the cd's are listened to and enjoyed, rather than stored away because buyers paid too much to pitch in the bin. Some will buy anything and everything, but many more will buy what is truely good.

Ever think of releasing a cool compilation, silver pressed cd with original artwork, of some of the best Retrospect has to offer, at a low, low price, under 10$. This would most likely give the we are not so sure about this label people a little something to ease the worries. Not calling everyone who doesn't agree with what goes on at Retrospect a prick would also help.

I know I took my first chance on a RR release that was on a silver-pressed disc.

In spite of the fact of all the bad I've heard (and how many close friends have had bad experiences with or are just plain opposed to RR), I got Manilla Thrills because I enjoyed the band, it was finally on a silver-pressed disc, and I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt ONCE.

XL is an original silver cd as are a few others on the site.  Nothing 're-issued' about it.

that doesnt make sense... if it isnt reissued, then it must be the original from 10 years ago or whenever it was.... so why isnt it selling for heaps.... i would love to see this reissued as its apparently brilliant... but does the band know? just from memory XL went on to become Freefall then became Kick, so they are still very much around somewhere

also... if boss - step on it is a cdr.... whats the point? ive got a cdr of boss - step on it that i made myself from the lp. and its value is nothing... its just a cdr. just asking again, does the band actually know about this?? Boss obviously is no longer.... but the guitarist is now in Black Label and is readily available, as is the singer who is still playing around with BB Steal

just making a comment on the RR website (as someone who works in websites, graphics, both online and print material)... the site looks decent... until you actualy see the scans of the cds available, which are terrible. if they cant put decent images on the site, what are the chances of having decent printed covers?.... i made a scan of my own boss lp, and printed it off.... it looks so much better then the image on the site....

just my thoughts...

Fair enough , a few of the covers didn't come out as nice as he hoped , but there's no way of telling how it will come out BEFORE going to press.

Last time I checked www.diskfaktory.com still offered printing proof for $50, but I guess its not worth paying it since you can save it, and people will buy anyway, eh :P

that doesnt make sense... if it isnt reissued, then it must be the original from 10 years ago or whenever it was.... so why isnt it selling for heaps....

At least you got answer...I didnt...

You know, I came back to this thread today because I heard through the grapevine that RR was actually pressing "some" CD's on silver-backed discs, and I was going to eat some crow... Then I read this.

Professional-Grade Printer?  You think Sam has these cd's done in the basement on a PC? 

Fair enough , a few of the covers didn't come out as nice as he hoped , but there's no way of telling how it will come out BEFORE going to press.

Youre kidding, right? Your artwork comes out shitty and what you're saying is "Oh well, how were we to know?"

Actually your exact quote was "a few of the covers didn't come out as nice as he hoped , but there's no way of telling how it will come out BEFORE going to press."

Well, if that's the case then you EAT IT and start over! You don't pass along inferior product to the innocent consumer. My God, at $20.00 each (or whatever the cost is) for a cheap CD-R, I'm sure there was a bit of wiggle room to correct OBVIOUS mistakes.

Terrible response, dude, and up 'till now I've never said a bad word about Sam or his company, but that thought process is unacceptable.

Sorry, JLP, I know they're your boys and that's cool with me becuase you and I have always got along like brothers, but come on...

You know, I came back to this thread today because I heard through the grapevine that RR was actually pressing "some" CD's on silver-backed discs, and I was going to eat some crow... Then I read this.

Professional-Grade Printer?  You think Sam has these cd's done in the basement on a PC? 

Youre kidding, right? Your artwork comes out shitty and what you're saying is "Oh well, how were we to know?"

Actually your exact quote was "a few of the covers didn't come out as nice as he hoped , but there's no way of telling how it will come out BEFORE going to press."

Well, if that's the case then you EAT IT and start over! You don't pass along inferior product to the innocent consumer. My God, at $20.00 each (or whatever the cost is) for a cheap CD-R, I'm sure there was a bit of wiggle room to correct OBVIOUS mistakes.

Terrible response, dude, and up 'till now I've never said a bad word about Sam or his company, but that thought process is unacceptable.

Sorry, JLP, I know they're your boys and that's cool with me becuase you and I have always got along like brothers, but come on...

No need to apologise....I gave them a hell of lot more shit than that for those covers!!!

As always...the proof is in the pudding. The Manilla Thrills is obvious....and look for others to be of the same quality!

Well , it's a case of tough shit for you Gener8tr.

The bands are getting paid.

The cd's are being sold.

The customers are happy.

It's a winning combination.

True...but you might want to tone down the 'tough shit' attitude, 80's. Why? Because....it's not a good reflection on you...or the label that everyone thinks you represent......

'tay... :)

I just love all this arm-chair quarterbacking. It's so easy to sit back and criticize when you're not the one forking out the investment.

Where's the criticism of Perris cd-r's?

80% of cd's sold on CDBaby are cd-r's.

Where's the criticism of of MTM releasing RPM taken from a VINYL master and THEN not paying the band a dime?

I just love all this arm-chair quarterbacking.  It's so easy to sit back and criticize when you're not the one forking out the investment. 

Where's the criticism of Perris cd-r's?

80% of cd's sold on CDBaby are cd-r's.

Where's the criticism of of MTM releasing RPM taken from a VINYL master and THEN not paying the band a dime?

I dont know for the other guys here, but if Perris, MTM, or whoever else come here and start raving/endorsing sub-par releases as you do, I'd let them know what I think the exact same way I do with you. So nothing personal you know, if that's comforting you

Well, those are not the titles Im talking about..$29.99 for Friction, 40 bucks for Rock Bolevard, $20 for Vyper...

Plus many of these 14.99 prices are for albums that are the length of en EP...

Suppose it doesnt matter to me though, because I havent planned on purchasing any of the stuff anyways...

I thought it was about getting the music out to the people..... <_<

I thought it was about getting the music out to the people.....  <_<

:lol:

I almost passed this over, but since I have a small amount of expertise in the subject matter, I had to say something. Plus, I am not tired of all this and love a good argument on occasion, especially when I haven't had my coffee yet and the baby kept me up most of the night.

With all due respect 80smetal, I just ordered the Manila Thrills after seeing the pictures posted here because it looks great, but please spare me on the "there's no way of telling how it will come out BEFORE going to press" deal. I am responsible for all of the printed materials my company uses, if I can't print it in-house I buy it. If the printer you are dealing with cannot get you a contract proof before going to press you may need to shop around. In addition, on all but the most simple print jobs I will personally go to the print shop to see the job being run for a final approval. Maybe someday when I'm tired of working here I will try the "tough shit" approach when a print job comes out less than perfect. Your attitude clearly shows that the "bringing music to the people" is a bunch of crap, which is fine, just admit it.

I know you will have trouble answering with that big ass foot stuck in your mouth, so let me assist.

Retrospect doesn't need you assholes, we'll do just fine without you. Everybody else loves us and we're pulling in $6 zillion dollars a day. In fact, we're making so much money that we need to alienate some of our less important potential customers, mainly located here on HH.com

Hope that helps dude! :tumbsup:

Fair market value for a re-issue is $10-15. Fair market value for a CD-R is $1-2. 80sMetalCollector... I don't know what is weaker... your grasp on economics or logic. Supply and demand? I don't see a real lack of supply when there's a CD burner in Sam's basement and Kinko's (and their color copiers) are open 24 hours. Imagine the demand if 1. the CDs were silver pressed (all of them) 2. the prices were right and 3. the owner sheds his greedy, Montgomery Burns-esque image.

A quote from the show.

Smithers (80sMetalCollector): "I'm afraid we have a bad image, sir... Market research shows people see you as something of an ogre..."

Burns (Sam): "I ought to club them and eat their bones..."

:nyanya:

Well my take on it is this.....I am in no way slamming Sam or his label or taking sides, as i think everyone knows my opinion on subject of "silver pressed vs. CDR's" ...........But a CDR is not worth $40 and most people who are buying them are not aware of that fact as most of the auctions state "reissue" and it is nowhere stated it is a cdr......... So honestly to say the prices are "Market Value" is false.......Because if it was stated as CDR/Reissue, then see how many are sold and at what price, if the price still goes to $40 plus, you can then honestly say that it is the "Market Value".........As far as Sam getting the music out there, i applaud that because most of the bands on his label may not of ever seen the light of day on CD/CDR if he had not put it out........But also it is Sam's label to run how he sees fit, and if people want buy from him they are free to do so, if not that is their choice as well........His silver pressed cd's i will buy, the cdr's i will pass on, but that is my choice......Just how i see things, and i am not asking anyone to agree or disagree, just my personal preference.........

green cd,silver cd,red cd, who give's a f**k as stated many times lets be glad the bands cds have seen the light of day if they were available over here in the u.k. i would buy them

A quote from the show.

Smithers (80sMetalCollector): "I'm afraid we have a bad image, sir... Market research shows people see you as something of an ogre..."

Burns (Sam): "I ought to club them and eat their bones..."

:nyanya:

:rofl2:

Damn it, I LOVE a good Simpson's quote...well done!

:homer:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.