Kidd Wikkid re-issue

Guest wikkid1

Guest wikkid1

Hello everyone here,

This is Kevin, the ex-drummer of Kidd Wikkid. Word is someone on the board here has been stating that they've signed Kidd Wikkid and are going to re-release our CD. To the best of my knowledge, this is completely untrue. I've spoken with our lawyer and he assured the band that he'd be at the ready should someone happen to bootleg the CD and re-release it. Granted, it's been many years since the disc came out and of course, the band is no longer in existence. That doesn't give someone the right to bootleg it, charge an arm and a leg, and try and make money off someone else's property and even more so, their art.

Does anyone on the board have any info on the person claiming they're going to re-issue the disc? Are they a reputable label? Do they put out a first-rate product? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question for Kevin is if you know your cd is selling for such a huge dollar amount are there any plans by the band to oficially reissue the cd?

For some reason I swear this thread had a few more replies. I gotta give my head a shake.

Anyways, Kevin doesn't it rock knowing you were part of one of the most sought after cd's on the planet? Good luck with your future projects.

Okay, I was thinking of announcing this soon anyway, so here would be a good place to do it.

As of January 1st, 2006 I've expanded my online mailorder and registered Stormspell Records.

My releases will be silverback factory pressed products with multiple-page booklets and all other extras I could think of (hand-numbered, with extra free bonuses, such as, stickers, pins, etc.), and they will retail for flat fixed price, no eBay "the-market-determines-the-price" markups or anything

I have already two releases planned in progress, which would be announced on www.stormspell.com shortly when the contracts are signed.

And yes, I posted this here because I'd be interested in licensing Kidd Wikkid re-release, if it is available for licensing. I'm sure I can make very competitive and appealing bid for it.

Best regards,

iordan

For some reason I swear this thread had a few more replies. I gotta give my head a shake.

Thank God! I thought it was just me! When I was here yesterday, I thought the same thing.

Yeah... me too! There were a few posts about current labels that may have been inappropriate...? I think they got removed by the looks of it.

Yeah... me too! There were a few posts about current labels that may have been inappropriate...? I think they got removed by the looks of it.

I remember there being a post suggesting either Retrospect or SunCity...nothing ugly was said about either one, so I'm not sure why it got removed... :huhsign:

I remember there being a post suggesting either Retrospect or SunCity...nothing ugly was said about either one, so I'm not sure why it got removed... :huhsign:

There was a post directly after that one that would've most likely started a war here on the board again. And for those wondering, NO, I didn't remove it.... :P

Mike

There was a post directly after that one that would've most likely started a war here on the board again. And for those wondering, NO, I didn't remove it.... :P

Mike

Yeah, I know the one that I think caused the deletion. :D

Guest wikkid1

Hey fellow collectors,

First off, I want to apologize for dragging anyone else into this whole fiasco. It wasn't my intent to start any conflicts, but rather to just collect some info and find out if indeed the Kidd Wikkid CD is being bootlegged. Huge thanks to Mike and Dan for allowing us all such a cool forum to talk about this stuff in.

At the moment there are no immediate plans for a re-issue. Since 4/5 of the band lives in the Seattle area, we're meeting up this week to discuss whether we'd like to go forth with one. What I will say is that we WILL take legal action against bootlegging (and I think you all know of whom I'm speaking) and we've got an excellent entertainment lawyer if that happens to take place. From what I've been hearing, it may already have. As I think most everyone here will agree, taking someone else's material and re-releasing it w/o their permission is a low-life thing to pull. We spent about 20 grand of our own hard-earned money releasing that CD and we're not about to see someone else come along and sell it w/o our permission. It's not about the money, it's the principle. We're all extremely flattered that someone still gives a shit about our music. I can't describe how honored we all felt knowing someone would pay such a high price for that CD. Our main concern is that if the CD is re-issued, it's done with integrity and looks/sounds of the highest quality. We also don't want anyone to have to put a 2nd mortage on their home just to own an original copy of it. If it were solely up to me, I'd like to remix and remaster it, add a bonus track or two and change up the artwork. I guess we'll see later this week if everyone wants to make it happen. I'll post something here as soon as I know the results of our meeting. In the meantime, thanks for all the cool emails.

Kevin :band:

Is there any plans for a re-release?

Y'know , I'm only trying to play devil's advocate here but if that comment above is in any way directed at Retrospect Records , which according to my sources that is who is getting the bum rap , I think that's a really crappy and almost slanderous statement. I have been friends with Sam for going on 5 years and EVERY release that is on Retrospect Records is 100% legitimate , the bands are being paid. Sam has told me implicitly that even though he has emailed Kevin once to ask about a licensing deal , he had NO intentions of 'bootlegging' Kid Wikkid or any other bands product. So I think the buck should stop here and the rumors and lies need to end.

What's it going to take for the rumors to stop? For people to accept that Retrospect is a legit label paying their artists better royalties than any other? For people to accept that Sam is more passionate about our music than most?

There are some things that Sam has said and done in the past that I have not agreed with, but to even suggest that he would bootleg Kid Wikkid's album without their knowledge is just insane.

I am a major collector and a Hard Rock fan like most of you , I am proud to see Sam's corporation doing well , hell I wanted a lot of those titles on cd myself , so let's just support the scene instead of catering to backstabbers who cloak themselves in iniquity and impiety.

Don't bring me into this mate, I have nothing to do with Kidd Wikked. I know Sam has no plans to have it released. A lot of people will be happy to know that Sam and I are on good terms and working together in a way to get this awesome material out to the fans one way or another. Sam has got some awesome releases coming in the next month and Suncity is talking to heaps of bands with some annoucements to be made in the future. I still think Sam should Silver Press his CD's (LOL!!!!)

Kind regards

Dave

Suncity Records

Well Mr 80sMetalCollector, maybe you should remember the shit you say then. If you read post number 31 on the link beloew, you yourself said that it was being reissued in about 3 weeks. In fact, this is exactly what you said

"Oh , and I should mention one other piece of news. It doesn't matter if you paid $300 or $1000 for Kidd Wikkid , it won't be worth much when the re-issue comes out in about 3 weeks."

:whistle:

Who started what rumors?

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.ph...opic=7448&st=20

But you "were" the one who started it here. Maybe you should ahve kept it to yourself if you had inside knowledge of sorts. Every time someone here brings up a rare cd, you manage to go as far as to say it's being reissued by Retrospect within weeks almost every time. Does it still make you wonder why the finger got pointed that direction?

I have said ONCE that a cd was being re-issued by Retrospect so please get your facts correct.

I thought it was common knowledge that a re-issue was happening - mistakes can happen , as you have just witnessed in your own statement.

So yes , I'm sure the ebay police and retrospect-detractors were only too willing to point the finger and hurry as fast as they could to email Kevin about Retrospect.

The only question now is who was first.....Stormspell , Koogles , Zachary or you??

Shall we do another poll? :lol::lol::lol:

I have said ONCE that a cd was being re-issued by Retrospect so please get your facts correct.

I thought it was common knowledge that a re-issue was happening - mistakes can happen , as you have just witnessed in your own statement. 

So yes , I'm sure the ebay police and retrospect-detractors were only too willing to point the finger and hurry as fast as they could to email Kevin about Retrospect. 

The only question now is who was first.....Stormspell , Koogles , Zachary or you??

Shall we do another poll?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Could we please give the "ebay police" thing a rest...it's getting a little tiring.

Ok, I guess it's time for me to lay a smackdown, as this shit is getting old.

1. Sam has the ability to send me press releases for posting in the Label section. He did one early on, then opted to discontinue doing so due to a competition issue (no need to divulge the particulars).

2. Sam has the ability to post here, so 80sMetalCollector, stop being his mouthpiece. I can think of 2 specific occurrences when you've said Retrospect was reissuing XXX in the "next few weeks" and have been wrong on both counts. Unless it is coming from Retrospect directly, I don't want you posting rumor.

When someone reportedly "in the know" associated with a label that has a "lively past" comes here and announces an iminent release when the band knows NOTHING about it, this is the result. An expected one at that. 80sMetalCollector, YOU have to take some responsibility in this, as you contributed directly to the situation at hand by incorrectly reporting the reissue as a done deal.

Like it or not, until Retrospect releases are factory pressed and are available through mainstream channels (not just on Ebay from Sam personally or only on his website), there is going to be suspicion and wariness. You can disagree with it, but that's the nature of the beast. Folks here have been bitten in the past and have long memories.

When Retrospect releases start showing up at NEH, AOR Heaven, etc. I'll buy them in spades, and so will most people here (I would surmise), but as long as the releases/reissues are done the way they have been, things are not going to change much. There's just too much potential for shadiness.

I wish Sam and Retrospect well, despite our differences of opinion in the past, and I've told him as much.

-Dan

If I may respond....

"2. Sam has the ability to post here, so 80sMetalCollector, stop being his mouthpiece. I can think of 2 specific occurrences when you've said Retrospect was reissuing XXX in the "next few weeks" and have been wrong on both counts. Unless it is coming from Retrospect directly, I don't want you posting rumor."

Fair enough , Sam told me that as far as he knew he was still banned from posting here , I'll let him know. I will refrain from posting certain things until factual.

"When someone reportedly "in the know" associated with a label that has a "lively past" comes here and announces an iminent release when the band knows NOTHING about it, this is the result. An expected one at that. 80sMetalCollector, YOU have to take some responsibility in this, as you contributed directly to the situation at hand by incorrectly reporting the reissue as a done deal."

Yes , it sounds like I goofed in making assumptions and I apologize. But , I don't feel that certain members here at HH should act like little schoolkids and tattletale on a legitimate company based upon 'their' assumptions either. I didn't have the facts and neither did they.

"Like it or not, until Retrospect releases are factory pressed and are available through mainstream channels (not just on Ebay from Sam personally or only on his website), there is going to be suspicion and wariness. You can disagree with it, but that's the nature of the beast. Folks here have been bitten in the past and have long memories."

Well , technically Dan , they are factory-pressed.

"When Retrospect releases start showing up at NEH, AOR Heaven, etc. I'll buy them in spades, and so will most people here (I would surmise), but as long as the releases/reissues are done the way they have been, things are not going to change much. There's just too much potential for shadiness."

Yes , unfortunately many consumers have been burned by 'fake' companies. Sam will never wholesale to American companies , but he already has done some deals overseas. The bands make quite a bit more $$ when purchased directly from the site and/or Ebay so it's really a question of supporting the bands so they can re-form and do another album. The success of Defcon has surprised the band and Sam and I think we should expect the same for bands like Mariah and Manila Thrills. Defcon and the other bands are seeing a nice cut of $15-$18 as opposed to a wholesale price of $6 , wouldn't you agree?

"I wish Sam and Retrospect well, despite our differences of opinion in the past, and I've told him as much."

That's cool and I respect your wishes Dan , I'm sure the press release will be in your mailbox within 7 days.

:dance:

There is a Big difference in factory pressed cds and cdr's. Pressed cd's have a master disc (glass I believe) and it is "pressed" or "stamped" on a blank disc, so they are a exact duplicate of the master. When you burn a cd (cdr), even if it is to be a exact copy it is not. They are written and all cdrs add or subtract some of the language. Most of the time it is not noticable, but at times it is.

Now to have a company press a cd with art work, silk screened lable and jewel case, most only do a 1,000 at a time the cost is anywhere from $900+ for the full run.

Shall we do another poll?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I think if Kevin took a few minutes to read some of the topics he would have found out about Retrospect and its practices, all on his own. Now you had to drag me into this crap of yours, why? More name calling and accusing. No need for another poll, because you know where I'd stick it. Up your :censored::butt:

Uhh... guys... could we tone it down a bit please? I understand the frustration, but I really would prefer that every single thread where the word "Retrospect" is printed NOT turn into an outright flamewar...

Thanks,

-Dan

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.