• 2020 Gold Donors

In anticipation of the upcoming "Tora Tora" release, I thought i'd post this gem from the past.

"Hard luck's knockin' on my back door".

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heaven&hell

• Geoff

• Faron

• Glen

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Witness - Show Me What You Got. Witness - When it Comes From the Heart. Here's two from a beyond killer album! Female Fronted Melodic Hard Rock at it's best from '88.    

Dino Jelusic of "Animal Drive". A recent-ish tribute to Ray Gillen. The original  "Badlands" version is a killer and Dino certainly does it justice. I'm expecting big things from this kid in the futur

Tango Down - All Fall Down. Phil Naro - Heartbreak in the Night. A couple of my favourites featuring Phil Naro.      

Going out of my normal comfort zone at the moment.
Was watching Foxtel and flicking through the music channels (there is no hard rock channel)
Stopped to talk with someone while it rested on the country channel (well, one of them, as there is more than one Country channel and no hard rock of course)
Ended up listening to the songs on there and was quite drawn to them. Some concert in Queensland with Old Dominion playing their set.

Never heard of them before, but was digging their music so I downloaded the show through Foxtel to watch again later.
Kind of country pop I guess.
Even leans a bit towards Hillsong stuff at times I guess.

Anyway, I liked it enough to get the album, which is pretty good.
Probably the first time I have really ever liked a country band enough to get the album.
Last song I remember that I really dug was Devil Goes Down To Georgia lol

In this clip the band are wearing Kiss, Metallica and Priest t-shirts so maybe I'm not too far away from my music after all...

• 2020 Gold Donors
11 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Going out of my normal comfort zone at the moment.
Was watching Foxtel and flicking through the music channels (there is no hard rock channel)
Stopped to talk with someone while it rested on the country channel (well, one of them, as there is more than one Country channel and no hard rock of course)
Ended up listening to the songs on there and was quite drawn to them. Some concert in Queensland with Old Dominion playing their set.

Never heard of them before, but was digging their music so I downloaded the show through Foxtel to watch again later.
Kind of country pop I guess.
Even leans a bit towards Hillsong stuff at times I guess.

Anyway, I liked it enough to get the album, which is pretty good.
Probably the first time I have really ever liked a country band enough to get the album.
Last song I remember that I really dug was Devil Goes Down To Georgia lol

In this clip the band are wearing Kiss, Metallica and Priest t-shirts so maybe I'm not too far away from my music after all...

As mentioned before, modern day Country Music isn't that far removed from AOR. That song is probably not the best example. Probably more on the Pop side, but still okay. I grew up with old school Country and Western music and have always had a soft spot for it. I have enough trouble keeping up with AOR/MHR/METAL. I wouldn't want to open up another can of worms by pursuing Country as well. It's good stuff though. 

• 2020 Gold Donors

I've always loved a good concept album and this is a ripper. With David Readman, Lana Lane and Davy Vain on vocals you can't go wrong. Apparently this album is based on a novel called "Chronicle of the Immortals".I'm not familiar with it, but the album kicks ass. 

• 2020 Gold Donors

The Beatles thread got me thinking about the Rolling Stones. This is not just one of my favorite Stones tracks, but one of my alltime favorite tracks. Stone Sour do a great job, but the star of the show is Lzzy Hale.

• 2020 Gold Donors

I meant to put the previous post in the "Cover Songs" thread, so I'll post another for song of the day. Great track, great album, shit band name. Anybody know what it refers to? Very much influenced by Skid Row.

• 2020 Gold Donors

Probably the first time ONJ has appeared on this site, but I  do love this song. This track is like a time machine to the 80's for me. It takes me back everytime I hear it.

• 2020 Gold Donors

Two today. One from the new Avantasia album featuring Geoff Tate and one from the vault by Sargant Fury (disregard the title, it's actually "change").

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Interested to hear more.. not bad. 
    • It has been nearly three years since THE TAKE "Pink & Proud" was listed on the Metallic Blue Records web page as "coming soon".   That sample track "Young Girls In Love" had me waiting with bated breath.   Numerous obstacles were presented in preparation for the album's release, one of which were production issues due to the Covid-19 pandemic.   But alas, it is finally here and I've given my copy a good listen.   The first track is the one that first grabbed my attention 3 years ago.   "Young Girls In Love",  with it's haunting intro and upbeat 80's vibe, sets the stage for the entire album.  Originally recorded in 1985-86, the tracks are full throttle 80's sounding, laced with hook laden, catchy melodies the way we love it.   The production is very eighties oriented with lots of great guitar and loads of keyboards for most of the menu.  Those keyboard duties were shared between Arthur Hall and Janine Stewart.  Vocal duties are handled by Michael Coones on this album and at this time of the band's life, Chris Boudreaux had departed.   THE TAKE hail from Salt Lake City and here are 9 AOR melodic rockers that will remind the listener of such great bands as AVIATOR, HAYWIRE, WORRALL, JT SHELTER and MAY RUN.  They have a unique talent for writing  AOR melodic songs.  So,  if you're into lush or bombastic, breezy melodies, professionally executed then THE TAKE "Pink & Proud" is a must to own.  It's a real gem for 80's AOR melodic rock lovers.  
    • I have just finished listening to the new SOLDIER CD titled "My Window" just released by Metallic Blue Records and what a surprise this one was. Immediately, when the first track "My Window" began to play, my ears were in a state of delight. A bold melodic rock sound laced with sparkling keyboards and vocals layered with harmony background vocals could be heard. This first track was a true grabber, compelling me to want to hear even more. As I continued listening, I wasn't disappointed. Along with a few mellow ballads, there were a number of exciting melodic tracks highlighted by "Cells Are Locked", "Life" and "No Easy Way Out" which brought out the "Quade and CRAAFT influences in their sound. The entire album was a listening experience that was a combination of pure AOR and melodic rock reminding me of BRICKLIN meets PHIL CHRISTIAN blended with influences of QUADE and CRAAFT. The album is fronted by Chris Boudreaux (THE TAKE, BOUDREAUX, HAIL MARY, RESTLESS BREED) in a band that balanced his time with THE TAKE and his band BOUDREAUX that was also just released on the Metallic Blue label. Chris was recruited by a band originally named PALACE to be the frontman and SOLDIER was born. The band played Salt Lake City while they recorded the "My Window" album in 1986. Afterwards, they moved operations to Las Vegas and eventually SOLDIER played all over Hollywood, especially up and down the Sunset Strip. The band frequented Gazzarris, The Troubadour, FM Station, The Roxy, and The Whiskey a Go Go. "My Window" was previously released on cassette only back in 1986 and now we have it on CD with never released bonus tracks. I was very impressed with this explosive AOR album with it's melodious sound, great keyboards and vocals. If you are a fan of CRAAFT (1986), PHIL CHRISTIAN, BRICKLIN or QUADE, you must not let this one get past you. My highest recommendation for a fantastic listen.  
    • I've explained why America is better under Biden and the response is for me to watch a Youtube video. I say Fuck that !  Jobs being created,unemployment down,stock market up,etc.... I don't need any douchebag youtubers to explain anything to me.I can look at the facts myself !
    • Thanks ! I got the last 2 copies of Mood Groove !
    • New song 'Testify'. Press release: Frontiers Music Srl is excited to announce the signing of Big City, a melodic metal band from Norway, to a multi-album deal. Fans of bands such as Firewind, Queensryche, Magnus Karlsson's Free Fall, Europe, Fair Warning, and the like should look forward to being introduced to this exciting band. The band's new album, "Testify X" will be released on July 16, 2021. Of first single 'Testify', guitarist Daniel Olaisen says it "is about confessing to things to get weight off of your conscience in order to have a better life...or keep them a secret and live a lie. This is the very first song I/we wrote for the album and it has it all. Melodic and acoustic intro, a real catchy hook line on the guitar, great vocal lines and a modulation at the end!"   "We have pretty different influences in the band. From jazz/fusion to extreme metal. The foundation however is our passion for melodic and nostalgic 80's metal/hard rock!" adds Olaisen.   Big City was originally put together by guitarist and songwriter Daniel Olaisen. His plan was to use a vast amount of song ideas and 80's metal influenced guitar riffs that he had stockpiled over the years for a batch of songs with the right players. Frank Ørland, who also played with Daniel in Scariot (prog/thrash/heavy band featuring Communic and Spiral Architect members), was an obvious choice to bring to Big City as the second guitarist. Frank Nordeng Røe (Withem, Maraton, session drummer for Circus Maximus and Leprous) was brought in on drums after being discovered by Daniel via some internet research. The band was then completed with Jan Le Brandt on vocals and Geir Inge Olsen, who was brought in as a session bass player.  The band's debut album, "Wintersleep", was initially released in 2014 and later on re-released by the Greek label Rock of Angels in 2018 as part of a deluxe edition of their second album, Big City Life. Big City played their very first live shows the same month of the international release, including Norway Rock Festival and Rock the Boat with Miguel Pereira (Withem) joining the band as their new permanent bass player.  In 2019, the band started working on a new album and brought in a new singer, Jørgen Bergersen from Rock the Night (Europe cover band) and the new demos caught the interest of Frontiers who moved swiftly to sign the band. "The new album will introduce our new singer. He's done an incredible job and there's more punch and heaviness in his voice. The songs are still varied, from super chill ballad to heavy and light-progressive tunes. Melodies are still in focus and there's plenty of that, as expected. It's simply the best Big City album so far!" says Daniel Olaisen.  Line-up: Daniel Olaisen – Rhythm, lead and acoustic guitars Frank Ørland – Lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars Frank Nordeng Røe – Drums and percussion Jørgen Bergersen- Vocals Miguel Pereira – Bass guitar    Tracklist: 1. The Rush 2. Dark Rider 3. Testify 4. I Will Fall 5. Running Away 6. Conception 7. Winds Of The Road 8. Heart's Like A Lion 9. Graveyard Love 10. How Dark Does It Get    www.facebook.com/bigcitynorway    
    • Yeah they are not for everyone that is for sure....I checked out several of their songs and they are hit and miss for me....they do however sound different from anyone I've heard before.....
    • Yeah really like what I hear from this band and will be looking out for a full release....
    • Yeah sounds decent,not fantastic but decent indeed.
    • From a cracking album...wish they would do another

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.