Favourite debut album from 80's hard rock heroes

Geoff

Best Debut Album  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I went with Poison. Here's my quick summary of my list in order:

Poison - 'Look what the cat dragged in' ; awesome debut and IMO a defining moment in glam hard rock. Perfect stuff.

Warrant - 'Dirty Rotten Filthy stinkin' rich' ; killer debut. Love it.

Ratt - 'Out of the cellar' ; killer debut and arguably their best album. 

Bon Jovi - s/t ; great disc. Great debut.

Motley Crue - 'Too fast for love' ; great debut that some argue is their best. Awesome.

Dokken - 'Breaking the chains' ; love the band, hate this CD. As Chad says, brilliant catalogue but weak first disc. 

Def Leppard - 'On through the night' ; awful disc, awesome band. I hate this but love all their other discs.

I went for Poison too, pretty easy choice for me its one of my favorite discs.

Bon Jovi woul dhave been number 2, followed by Motley Crue, Warrant, and Ratt which would round out the very good debut albums for me. Dokken's debut was pretty blah. Def Leppard's debut was garbage, agreed. It was like they were a totally different band between their first and second albums. Different style, different sound....

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I'm gonna have to vote for the Ratts on this one too. Although it could've gone to the Crue as well, but I was a big fan of OUT OF THE CELLAR back in the day.

I went by which disc I would reach for first from each band's discography and Motley Crue is the only band listed that I would consistently grab the debut release first. God I love that cd...and the Motley reissue made the thing that much better!

Okay guys, here are the debut albums from a few of the more popular 80's hard rock artists. Just wondering who released your favourite debut of the 80's... of these artists listed here?

What, no GnR debut???!

:bananamac:

GNR came on a bit later what 87 or something like that.

Okay guys, here are the debut albums from a few of the more popular 80's hard rock artists. Just wondering who released your favourite debut of the 80's... of these artists listed here?

What, no GnR debut???!

:bananamac:

GNR came on a bit later what 87 or something like that.

Thanks for trying to make me look unlike a knob, Bob, but Warrant's debut was in 1989 so that's no excuse. Just plain bad planning on my behalf. :lol: Sorry guys. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Yea, I'm gonna have to vote for the Ratts on this one too. Although it could've gone to the Crue as well, but I was a big fan of OUT OF THE CELLAR back in the day.

I almost had to flip a coin there Man.. cause yea I DO love Ratt's Out of the Cellar?? I went with the Crue.... I guess cause the Crue just.. I don't know, were that much heavier??*chuckles* Tough call though.....

And, I too LOVE Def Leppard?? Seen em 4 times now, but their debut is just not that good...*chuckles*

• 1 year later...

Ratt and Motley's 1st records are absolute classics in my eyes (or ears). Grew up on those records. After that I'd go with Def Lep. I still listen to that one alot. In fact I love the first 2 Lep albums, really like "Pyro" as well but after that they pretty much went to elevator music.

An absolute no brainer for me.

BJ - s/t by a mile.

A defining moment in American hard rock.

I remember when we first heard Runaway on the Friday Rock Show here in the UK and we were all like who the hell is that???! We were blown away. We rushed out and bought the album on the day of release. At that point there were probably just a hand full of fans in the UK - no one knew them! NO ONE.

That was when BJ were cool - and that was when it was cool to like BJ.

I'll go with Def Leppard's On Through The Night and Warrant's D.R.F.S.R.

Bon Jovi's S/T is not that good IMO.

Poison's - Look What The Cat Dragged In was very good but it wears out on me easily

Dokken - Breaking The Chains - Was that really Dokken?

Ratt - Out of the Cellar - I could have picked this one 'coz this is the very first 80s hard rock cassette tape that I ever bought but it has some fillers.

Motley Crue - Too Fast - Only liked a few songs in there.

• 1 year later...

Has to be Ratt. 'Round and Round' and 'Wanted Man' are absolute classics, easily makes the album the best in this list for me.