First Spin Impressions

JustJason

I cant believe it! Someone actually liked one of my suggestions.... this has brought a tear to my eye... noone has ever liked my suggestions.

Told Edguy are a killer band!

HS fans check out Donots???? confused...

I can't believe it either. That's why I'm kind of embarrassed about it. But it is a great album, I do admit.

I was listening to Donots on the weekend and I remembered I always thought they were 1000 times better than that whole Hardcore Superstar, Buckcherry and Backyard Babies scene. It's a similar style of modern sleaze hard rock... but Donots actually know how to write big catchy choruses when the others didn't. Plus, the vocals remind me of HS.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant believe it! Someone actually liked one of my suggestions.... this has brought a tear to my eye... noone has ever liked my suggestions.

I can't believe it either. That's why I'm kind of embarrassed about it. But it is a great album, I do admit.

I was listening to Donots on the weekend and I remembered I always thought they were 1000 times better than that whole Hardcore Superstar, Buckcherry and Backyard Babies scene. It's a similar style of modern sleaze hard rock... but Donots actually know how to write big catchy choruses when the others didn't. Plus, the vocals remind me of HS.

plus when you add that entire Blink 182 dimension.... awesome eh

We will fight. I'll even stop liking 'Rocketride' if you keep going like this.

Im confuzzled. Why would you want to defend Blink 182 over an awesome release from Edguy?

:unsure:

Im confuzzled. Why would you want to defend Blink 182 over an awesome release from Edguy?

:unsure:

You'll be even more confused when your face has fallen from your skull when we fight.

Allen Lande - the revenge

Finally got a chance to listen to this completely. Been a big fan of Karlsson for a few years now, but he is getting a bit "samey". However im surprised this featured so poorly on most top 2007 release lists because this is high quality melodic metal even if it doesnt live up to the debut. Its still very good, even though it just doesnt have the hooks of the first one.

The Poodles - sweet trade.

So far, bit dissappointing. Its grown on me a bit. But i think the debut is quite alot better then this. About half the tracks on this are just throwaway filler. But then there are tracks like "Thunderball" which blow me away! Still love this band, but not as good. Also "Seven seas" which everyone has been praising... is incredibly annoying.

Finally got a chance to listen to this completely. Been a big fan of Karlsson for a few years now, but he is getting a bit "samey". However im surprised this featured so poorly on most top 2007 release lists because this is high quality melodic metal even if it doesnt live up to the debut. Its still very good, even though it just doesnt have the hooks of the first one.

So far, bit dissappointing. Its grown on me a bit. But i think the debut is quite alot better then this. About half the tracks on this are just throwaway filler. But then there are tracks like "Thunderball" which blow me away! Still love this band, but not as good. Also "Seven seas" which everyone has been praising... is incredibly annoying.

The Allen/Lande I thought was a very good album but like you said not quite as amazing as the debut.

The Poodles I liked a little more than the debut but I seem to be alone on that one. :anon:

The Allen/Lande I thought was a very good album but like you said not quite as amazing as the debut.

The Poodles I liked a little more than the debut but I seem to be alone on that one. :anon:

Does no one like 'Band Of Brothers' off The Poodles disc. IMO way ahead the strongest track on 'Sweet Trade'.

Does no one like 'Band Of Brothers' off The Poodles disc. IMO way ahead the strongest track on 'Sweet Trade'.

I dont remember that song...

Fuck me - Track 9 and the best track on the disc - Pay attention!! ;)

I was probably still singing about you hitting me like a Thunderball Jezzy Me dear.

I was probably still singing about you hitting me like a Thunderball Jezzy Me dear.

Cheers my dear. Go and play it now then - get on with it!!!

Cheers my dear. Go and play it now then - get on with it!!!

Ah yes, killer chorus in the vibe of the first album. The rest of the song was bit boring.

Great song and one of the best on the disc.

Aerosmith - Just push play

I went into this knowing that the majority of people cringe at this album. Complaints of bad songs and a computer production taking over the band were commen , but i still wanted to hear them with this modern production. Firstly i think the modern production complaints are a bit over the type. Overall the production is good, and there are only a few songs where the production / effects is really obvious... sometimes annoying, but only a few places. The biggest problem is the songwriting. There are a lot of filler. However i dont think its as bad as what most say, as there are still quite a few good songs on here. Really reminds my of "Nine Lives" but not as good. Unfortunately, stuff like "Drop Dead gorgeous" is just plain awful... what were they thinking?

Every Avenue - 'Shh, just go with it' ; Not bad at all, but not amazing. Harmless commercial pop/rock. They remind me at times of a band from a few years ago called July For Kings, except these guys are a little poppier. Nice, safe melodies and good catchy songs. If you like modern pop/rock it's probably worth checking out but if you miss out it's no big deal.

The only other Edguy album worth picking up is Hellfire Club - the rest are patchy at best.

Rocketride is their best IMO.

The only other Edguy album worth picking up is Hellfire Club - the rest are patchy at best.

Have you heard Mandrake?? Thats a very strong album!

I went into this knowing that the majority of people cringe at this album. Complaints of bad songs and a computer production taking over the band were commen , but i still wanted to hear them with this modern production. Firstly i think the modern production complaints are a bit over the type. Overall the production is good, and there are only a few songs where the production / effects is really obvious... sometimes annoying, but only a few places. The biggest problem is the songwriting. There are a lot of filler. However i dont think its as bad as what most say, as there are still quite a few good songs on here. Really reminds my of "Nine Lives" but not as good. Unfortunately, stuff like "Drop Dead gorgeous" is just plain awful... what were they thinking?

When that cd came out there was a review in Metal Edge Magazine that said "Just Push Eject and buy the new Buckcherry instead". That always cracked me up. :lol:

When that cd came out there was a review in Metal Edge Magazine that said "Just Push Eject and buy the new Buckcherry instead". That always cracked me up. :lol:

Metal Edge actually said that?? I didn't think they EVER gave anything a negative review. Hell, Gerri Miller gave decent reviews to Dokken's "Shadowlife" AND Warrant's "Ultraphobic" for Christ's sake.

Metal Edge actually said that?? I didn't think they EVER gave anything a negative review. Hell, Gerri Miller gave decent reviews to Dokken's "Shadowlife" AND Warrant's "Ultraphobic" for Christ's sake.

She said on Warrant's review that the band needed to lighten up.

I believe Chris Mcclernon did the Aerosmith review and it was shortly after Gerri had left and Paul was in charge.

She said on Warrant's review that the band needed to lighten up.

I believe Chris Mcclernon did the Aerosmith review and it was shortly after Gerri had left and Paul was in charge.

Must've been after I quit reading the mag. By 1999 or 2000 I was seeing entirely too much Kid Rock and Rage Against The Machine in Metal Edge for me to continue spending $ on it. :whistle:

Yes.

The song 'Tears of a Mandrake' is an absolute monster, but IMO the rest of the album just doesnt live up to that great beginning.

I really want to like songs like 'Jerusalem' etc but they just dont do it for me.

'Pharaoh' is pretty good as well, but too long.........and it doesnt hold a light to 'Piper....' on Hellfire Club which is an absolutely fcuking awesome song, and their best IMO.

Cheers

Yes.

The song 'Tears of a Mandrake' is an absolute monster, but IMO the rest of the album just doesnt live up to that great beginning.

I really want to like songs like 'Jerusalem' etc but they just dont do it for me.

'Pharaoh' is pretty good as well, but too long.........and it doesnt hold a light to 'Piper....' on Hellfire Club which is an absolutely fcuking awesome song, and their best IMO.

Cheers

o well i think its killer..

IN FLAMES - A Sense of Purpose

Oh for f**k's sake, what is it with everyone these days wanting to stop the aggressive vocals & think that metal is all about catchy choruses rather than raw power & riffs... This band used to be up there alongside Arch Enemy & The Haunted as hugely influential thrash giants, but now they kinda sound like Trivium with rubbish vocals. Their last album "Come Clarity" was better than this, but both see them on the same downward spiral as SOILWORK. This is such a talented band but to hear them peddling this sort of run-of-the-mill stuff is painful. Anyone even remotely a fan should avoid this & get the new CHILDREN OF BODOM masterpiece instead...