First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Come on Geoff! Rather than listening to 2,390,666 albums a week listen to a few more than once and let them sink in a little ;)

What? What's this all about? I've let albums sink in for about 20 years of my life before finally undertaking the massive task of organising and rating them. I think 20 years is a pretty decent amount of time to allow albums to sink it. ;)

Oh, are you a Van Halen fan? Did I offend you with that comment? :lol: I aim to please. Anyway, I'm sorry you're a fan of the band. I hope you wake up to yourself one day. ;)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Geoff! Rather than listening to 2,390,666 albums a week listen to a few more than once and let them sink in a little ;)

What? What's this all about? I've let albums sink in for about 20 years of my life before finally undertaking the massive task of organising and rating them. I think 20 years is a pretty decent amount of time to allow albums to sink it. ;)

Oh, are you a Van Halen fan? Did I offend you with that comment? :lol: I aim to please. Anyway, I'm sorry you're a fan of the band. I hope you wake up to yourself one day. ;)

I think he might be suggesting you listen to about 250 new albums a year - 90% of em twice :)

I think he might be suggesting you listen to about 250 new albums a year - 90% of em twice :)

Lol, what Glen said. You said in another post that u lost ur 2016 ratings which I'm guessing you only listened to once or a couple of times....? Better releases obviously more than the crap ones.

Personally for me it takes years and tens of listens for something to sink in. Some of my favorite releases are ones I didn't like it get until a few listens or even more than a year in.

For the record VH have 2 excellent releases - S/T and 5150 and 2 very good ones - 1984 and OU812. The rest is garbage IMO. I wouldn't call myself a big fan, far from it!

I am biased against people who can't like Van Hagar.

Especially those who like his pre VH staff and then refuse to acknowledge anything but DLR VH

How can someone not like at least some Sammy VH songs?
It's just the height of stubbornness and/or poor taste.

I'm not a big DLR VH fan. Pretty much the 3 hits of 1984 and a few others.

I much prefer his post VH stuff, but there's nothing wrong with any of the early VH stuff.

Same with anti Bon Jovi people.

I get it. They were cool when you're a 17 year old and they were new on the scene and you used to bang your head to Livin' On A Prayer.

And then they stuck around, he cut his hair, they went more mainstream, and now the music is boring.

Cool.

But don't go back and say you never liked their music, if you were listening to the radio when it was released. Of course you did

There's nothing wrong with admitting that, and even in still playing their old songs you used to listen to religiously.

Lol, what Glen said. You said in another post that u lost ur 2016 ratings which I'm guessing you only listened to once or a couple of times....? Better releases obviously more than the crap ones.

Personally for me it takes years and tens of listens for something to sink in. Some of my favorite releases are ones I didn't like it get until a few listens or even more than a year in.

For the record VH have 2 excellent releases - S/T and 5150 and 2 very good ones - 1984 and OU812. The rest is garbage IMO. I wouldn't call myself a big fan, far from it!

I've explained the whole album listening thing every single year when someone makes the point about my end of year ratings, so y'all can check it there... each year. The lower ranked albums are purely for my reference and if you read more into the ratings than I do, that's your problem and not mine. ;)

As you note, I listen to the albums that are worth listening a hell of a lot. So much so that I often get sick of new releases in general about 10 times in one year because I've heard them too much.

And I don't need to let shit albums sink in over 10 listens and several years. Like I've said before, I'm 100% confident I know if I like an album or not probably 20 seconds into hearing it. Sometimes it does take a full listen, but after that first listen I definitely know if it's a keeper or not - no doubt in my mind. ;)

See I thought the new Rick Springfield was pretty great on the samples.

Even the first listen was good.

After that it's been a bit meh.

I haven't had time to digest that one yet, but it seemed pretty damn disappointing on first spin. I can't see it being too much of a stayer. Definitely worth a few spins, at least, to see what's worthwhile or not.

If I happen to run across 5150 for a buck @ the Goodwill I might consider it... otherwise I think these two will fulfill whatever Van Hagar needs I may have (shrugs)

As you note, I listen to the albums that are worth listening a hell of a lot. So much so that I often get sick of new releases in general about 10 times in one year because I've heard them too much.

Does that say what I think it says - if you listen to a great release 10 times in one year you are sick of it?

If so, then that my friend is not a great release ;)

Does that say what I think it says - if you listen to a great release 10 times in one year you are sick of it?

No, it doesn't say what you think it says. It just means that about 10 times per year (after extensive listening, not just a single listen each time) I just get sick of new releases and need something else.

Hasn't happened so much last year and now with my "mission" to get all my CDs rated... but each previous year it certainly happens.

No, it doesn't say what you think it says. It just means that about 10 times per year (after extensive listening, not just a single listen each time) I just get sick of new releases and need something else.

Hasn't happened so much last year and now with my "mission" to get all my CDs rated... but each previous year it certainly happens.

oh OK, as you were.........

Especially those who like his pre VH staff and then refuse to acknowledge anything but DLR VH

Seriously? Dang. Then I guess you is biased against mah ass cuz I don't care for either of'em, haha.

For what its worth, I never had much use for Hagar before he joined VH, so when he replaced DLR they were already behind the 8 ball with me.

...and as a (mostly) proud resident of New Jersey who's had Bon Goddamn Jovi forced down my throat for the past umpteen years, that band is, was and always will be THE ENEMY in my book....them and Springsteen. Screw 'em both.

Sooooooo.... ummmm, bite me, I guess. :D

Seriously? Dang. Then I guess you is biased against mah ass cuz I don't care for either of'em, haha.

For what its worth, I never had much use for Hagar before he joined VH, so when he replaced DLR they were already behind the 8 ball with me.

...and as a (mostly) proud resident of New Jersey who's had Bon Goddamn Jovi forced down my throat for the past umpteen years, that band is, was and always will be THE ENEMY in my book....

Sooooooo.... bite me, Zippy. :D

I don't dislike the Van Hagar releases but I much prefer the DLR years...and I prefer Sammy's solo stuff as well....IMO the two versions of VH are very different bands and it does not surprise me that people prefer one or the other....

...and as a (mostly) proud resident of New Jersey who's had Bon Goddamn Jovi forced down my throat for the past umpteen years, that band is, was and always will be THE ENEMY in my book....

Sooooooo.... bite me, Zippy. :D

I don't dislike the Van Hagar releases but I much prefer the DLR years...and I prefer Sammy's solo stuff as well....IMO the two versions of VH are very different bands and it does not surprise me that people prefer one or the other....

I don't like Hagar's solo stuff, or his work with VH. ;) I will say, as far as I can tell, that 'For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge' is pretty easily Van Halen's best album... which, of course, features Hagar. And 90% of the Van Halen songs I like (which amount to about 8 in total) feature Hagar on vocals.

8 is nearly an album :)

lol. What did I say above; that they only had an EP's worth of good stuff? Okay, so I admit I could get one album of pretty strong stuff out of 'em. Definitely only a single album, though. And just a 10 track one...

lol. What did I say above; that they only had an EP's worth of good stuff? Okay, so I admit I could get one album of pretty strong stuff out of 'em. Definitely only a single album, though. And just a 10 track one...

yeah but in fairness that would be a pretty awesome 10 track album!!

I'm not the biggest Van Halen fan either but their best 10 songs are pretty damned good......theyd probably be all 9-10 for me :)

yeah but in fairness that would be a pretty awesome 10 track album!!

I'm not the biggest Van Halen fan either but their best 10 songs are pretty damned good......theyd probably be all 9-10 for me :)

It'd be good. No 10's for me, but a few over 9. I think I'd still be scraping in a couple of 7.5's to round out a 10 track album, but it'd be a solid mix.

• 2023 Gold Donors

It'd be good. No 10's for me, but a few over 9. I think I'd still be scraping in a couple of 7.5's to round out a 10 track album, but it'd be a solid mix.

If you can be bothered, i'd love to see what those ten tracks would be.

No, I was impressed lol

Metal Church - XI

Mike Howe returns to the Church fold for the first time in 20+ years and it sounds like he never left. I may have my Album of the Year contender already. :beerbang:

ColdSteel - America Idle

ColdSteel is a New York area thrash/metal band and the six track America Idle (hah!) EP is their first new recording since the early '90s. I don't think I ever heard their lone prior album (1992's Freakboy, released on the much-joked-about J.L. America label) but the samples of America Idle that I listened to on CDBaby sounded promising enough to risk five bucks on.

Musically ColdSteel is pretty decent power/thrash in the Testament/Anthrax vein with lotsa chugga-chugga riffs and occasional high pitched screams. There are samples of political speeches and protests sprinkled throughout the songs and a lot of the lyrics deal with taking America back from the crooked politicians, "The Elite" who control the banks, blah blah blah, so I'm guessing that someone in this band might have lost their house during the economic meltdown of the mid-00s.

America Idle certainly isn't the most original or mind blowing thing to come down the pike but it's a fairly sweet listen nonetheless. It's always nice to see some old thrash farts who can still kick it.

• 3 weeks later...

Brothers of Sword - United For Metal

...Yeah, I know, this band name is awkward as hell (shouldn't it be "Brothers of THE Sword?")... but these dudes are from Brazil, a land that's never been known for its mastery of the English language.

The "Brothers" are apparently some sort of 'supergroup' side project comprised of musicians from a bunch of different Brazilian metal bands, who've all come together to bash out an EP of oldschool swords 'n' dragons tr00 metal in the Manowar tradition. I'm not familiar with any of the participants' other bands, but if you're Brazilian then maybe names like Grey Wolf, Cruzadas, Yuri Fulone, Hazy Hamlet, etc. mean something to you.

Musically it's quite good but the grunty/gruff vocals (think Grave Digger/Rebellion) took some getting used to. I was expecting cleaner vox given the obvious Manowar leanings. Two songs are sung in the musicians' native Portuguese, which might be a deal breaker for some.

This CD is part of Stormspell Records' "TREND KILLERS" series of bargain-priced EPs by new/unknown acts. It's a decent curiosity item and can be had fairly cheap (five bucks from CDBaby).

Starborn - The Dreaming City (EP)

Another "Trend Killers" release from Stormspell. These Brits are all about the old fashioned shred/power metal with lotsa high pitched vocal acrobatics, ala Helstar, Liege Lord, and Onward, maybe with a pinch of King Diamond. This one goes by quickly and makes me wanna hear more, which is a good sign cuz I'm a pretty picky sum-bitch when it comes to this sort of stuff. Even the 13-plus-minute title track which closes the EP out never overstays its welcome. I'm impressed, bring on more stuff.