First Spin Impressions

JustJason

SANCTITY-Road to Bloodshed. Ouch this hurts SO good...Damn these guys have it down COLD!!! To my ears I hear alot of Testament...and That's a Good Thang...Great Riffs,Killer

Solos but above all Great Songs with Great Hooks..a 2007 Fave IMO...Great Stuff

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SANCTITY-Road to Bloodshed. Ouch this hurts SO good...Damn these guys have it down COLD!!! To my ears I hear alot of Testament...and That's a Good Thang...Great Riffs,Killer

Great buy. I hear the Testament too, & it's similar to the latest Shadows Fall. Tunes like "Flatline" and "Beloved Killer" are just so damn catchy. You might wanna check out the new Devildriver too, it's heavier than this (by some distance) but have the same producer & same killer hooks.

Great buy. I hear the Testament too, & it's similar to the latest Shadows Fall. Tunes like "Flatline" and "Beloved Killer" are just so damn catchy. You might wanna check out the new Devildriver too, it's heavier than this (by some distance) but have the same producer & same killer hooks.

:headbanger: I was going to after I saw you post about it..I think The SANCTITY is Better than

SHADOWS FALL...just a touch...I can't stop playing it... :headbanger:

H.e.a.t - 'Demo 2007' ; wow, excellent stuff. Chris (Faust) bought Dream to us a while ago, and this is the demo of the new combined band with a new name... and it is excellent. More rockier than the two Dream demos suggested, but these guys are a real force if they can get a debut album out there soon. Easily one of the highlights of the year so far. Excellent melodic rock.

Kidd Havok - 'Roll of the dice' - wow, what a mess. There were a few cool songs - 'Lady luck' and 'Lust for life' I think? And the last track was a cool hard rocker, but the rest was pure unadulterated filler, IMO. Very, very average hard rock. I won't bother with this one again.

H.e.a.t - 'Demo 2007' ; wow, excellent stuff. Chris (Faust) bought Dream to us a while ago, and this is the demo of the new combined band with a new name... and it is excellent. More rockier than the two Dream demos suggested, but these guys are a real force if they can get a debut album out there soon. Easily one of the highlights of the year so far. Excellent melodic rock.

Kidd Havok - 'Roll of the dice' - wow, what a mess. There were a few cool songs - 'Lady luck' and 'Lust for life' I think? And the last track was a cool hard rocker, but the rest was pure unadulterated filler, IMO. Very, very average hard rock. I won't bother with this one again.

is that HEAT demo available somewhere?

is that HEAT demo available somewhere?

I doubt it's for sale mate.

American Angel-Vanity.Don't know much about this group...Good Production..The band is Really good...Don't hear alot of hooks in the songs..but Its the first spin so...so maybe

its a grower....

American Angel-Vanity.Don't know much about this group...Good Production..The band is Really good...Don't hear alot of hooks in the songs..but Its the first spin so...so maybe

its a grower....

It's a solid cd not anything mind blowing but still good enough to listen to more than a few times.

its a grower....

It's a solid cd not anything mind blowing but still good enough to listen to more than a few times.

I agree...The singers voice at times sounds like Blackie Lawless...only better...IMO..

Pretty Vacant - 'And we don't care' ; pretty average glam to be honest. I wanted to love it, but it didn't overly do much for me, except give me a HUGE desire to listen to Pretty Boy Floyd's debut again, which I really must do asap. This was very much the kind of punk/glam that does little for me. Okay, though.

Wildkard - 'Megalomanis' ; Wow, one of the picks of the year for me so far. This is the ex-lead singer of Kick (a voice I love) and this CD is great. Very melodic, missing a few big choruses early on, but it picked up towards the end. I really, really liked this album. I look forward to spinning it again and rating it highly come the end of the year.

SANCTITY-Road to Bloodshed. Ouch this hurts SO good...Damn these guys have it down COLD! To my ears I hear alot of Testament...and That's a Good Thang...Great Riffs,Killer

Solos but above all Great Songs with Great Hooks...a 2007 Fave IMO...Great Stuff

Great buy. I hear the Testament too, & it's similar to the latest Shadows Fall.

I was going to after I saw you post about it...I think SANCTITY is better than

SHADOWS FALL...just a touch...I can't stop playing it.

Other way around for me. I think Shadows Fall is better than Sanctity, but just a touch, and they're both excellent metal albums. :banger:

SANCTITY-Road to Bloodshed. Ouch this hurts SO good...Damn these guys have it down COLD! To my ears I hear alot of Testament...and That's a Good Thang...Great Riffs,Killer

Solos but above all Great Songs with Great Hooks...a 2007 Fave IMO...Great Stuff

Great buy. I hear the Testament too, & it's similar to the latest Shadows Fall.

I was going to after I saw you post about it...I think SANCTITY is better than

SHADOWS FALL...just a touch...I can't stop playing it.

Other way around for me. I think Shadows Fall is better than Sanctity, but just a touch, and they're both excellent metal albums. :banger:

Yeah both are great... :banger:

its a grower....

Backed. I have spun it quite a few times. Not bad at all.

SCORPIONS: "Humanity Hour 1"

One of my faves of 2007, packing an aggressive punch without ever once losing sight of those all-important catchy melodies. Desmond Child is the motherf*cking man, giving the songs some killer hooks and giving the production that big-budget, bass-heavy gloss. This one will be spending a lot of hours in my stereo in the weeks to come. Maybe not quite the #1 album of the year, but it's up there.

Kim Mitchell - Ain't Life Amazing

Been waiting nearly 8 years for a new Kimmy disc and Finally, it arrived through the door this morning. One of my MAJOR heroes when it comes to this thing we call music and a man who has never ever disappointed me in anything that he has done, be it with Max Webster or all his amazing solo stuff. 3 spins into this and he has come up trumps yet again. A slightly (note slightly) tougher edge musically, which maybe down to the fact that there are hardly any keys on this disc, but the songs on this are absolutely amazing. The title track kicks major arse as do the majority of the others - there is a nice ballad 'Love Overtime' featured as well. Worth the wait? HELL YES, although I wish he would release stuff a little more often.

Voices Of Rock - MMVII

I was a bit dubious about ordering this one, as I have been let down so often in the last few years with so called great AOR discs let down by downright shoddy production and chock full of filler songs. Well Fuck me with a pineapple and a bottle of Grolsch if this one ain't an absolute belter of a disc, from the excellent songs down to the list of impressive names involved, ALL their top class performances and a belter of a production courtesy of Claus Lausman & Michael Voss. Can't find one bad track on this one anywhere and I nearly wet my pants when I heard the magic that is Dan Reed singing again (get a solo album out perlease or better still reform the Network). All AOR /MR fans need this one believe me. Check out the names on this one and straight after order a copy pronto. You will thank me honestly.

James Christian

Jean Beauvoir

Terry Brock

Dan Reed

Johnny Gioeli

Harry Hess

Goran Edman

Robin Beck

Steve Overland

Gary Bardens

Man looking forward to this (Kim Mitchell)....waiting for it to bounce on the door mat as we speak.

...And it will dance straight onto the old player believe you me. You will likey my friend.

WOW havent' thought about KIM MITCHELL in awhile. Loved the 1st time i heard him on sum import TV concert show. He did "lost lovers found" and "might as well go for a soda" and instantly fell in love with his music. Might have to lool up sum samples of this.

THRESHOLD- "DEAD REKONING"

I had no idea these guys were this good. Heavy as hell but very melodic with plenty of keys to add a flow and texture to the music. Plus the songs are just great. Sum of the latter part of this reminds me of a heavier STYX for sum reason. I have a cdr of these guys somewhere i haven't listened to in awhile and i would have sworn they were a female fronted band.

Blackboard Jungle- Welcome to the Blackboard Jungle

I've been wanting this for a long time and I'm glad I finally picked it up. I always loved the other BBJ release "I like it alot". They were always a cool sleaze glam band that sounded similar to so many bands but didnt sound exactly like anyone. Always thought their singer had a Davy Vain vibe going on which I think is cool. Brent Muscat of Faster Pussycat helped these guys out early on but IMO BBJ was way better than FP. As for this cd it's a collection of unreleased tracks from the late 80's up to 1994. The sound quality is great and the booklet is great as well and includes lyrics, pictures, story behind each song, and a history of the band. I have to give Sun City records their props on this colleciton very classy imo. As for standout tracks "Caroline", "Sweet Elaine", "Right Down Here With Me", "Good Hard Rain", "Little Davey Boy", "Sister", and "Laughing with you Again" are all keepers and the other tracks are very good too.

Blackboard Jungle- Welcome to the Blackboard Jungle

I've been wanting this for a long time and I'm glad I finally picked it up. I always loved the other BBJ release "I like it alot". They were always a cool sleaze glam band that sounded similar to so many bands but didnt sound exactly like anyone. Always thought their singer had a Davy Vain vibe going on which I think is cool. Brent Muscat of Faster Pussycat helped these guys out early on but IMO BBJ was way better than FP. As for this cd it's a collection of unreleased tracks from the late 80's up to 1994. The sound quality is great and the booklet is great as well and includes lyrics, pictures, story behind each song, and a history of the band. I have to give Sun City records their props on this colleciton very classy imo. As for standout tracks "Caroline", "Sweet Elaine", "Right Down Here With Me", "Good Hard Rain", "Little Davey Boy", "Sister", and "Laughing with you Again" are all keepers and the other tracks are very good too.

I like this band too, and am a fan of 'I like it a lot', but I'm hoping this one will grow on me as it was not very instant for me. Okay, but it just seemed like leftovers... to me. I do hope it grows though.

Valentine - 'Falling down in Minthropolis' (?) ; I don't know what to say about this. I haven't heard any of Robby's work for a while, since about 1998 release perhaps? My thoughts on what I've heard of him before - some mind-blowingly excellent melodic hard rock... mixed with some of the most hard-to-listen-to tracks ever recorded. I've always seen his vocals as about as bad as it gets - like the most nasal glam vocalist mixed with a whiney pop punk vocalist. And this remains. But this aside, when he does a great track it is great. This release is over-the-top, it has moments where you just have to cringe, but to be honest, it is really quite a decent and enjoyable listen. There are so many reasons to hate this and I could fully understand putting this on in most company and being kicked in the balls, but the guy can write a hook and lay down some soaring melodies. There's no real killer cuts this time, but it's consistent, and talk about saving the best for last... the last track, a beautiful ballad, is sensational. It won't rate high this year, but I do admit I kinda dig it.

Voices of Rock - I heard this a few days ago, but haven't heard it since. It was pretty damn great to be honest. Awesome production job and some great songs. I still swear blind that it's Pete Sandberg on 'Over and done' but enough of that. Most the tracks were really very strong and I look forward to another listen.

Kim Mitchell - 'Ain't life amazing' ; Unlike Jez, to be frank, I have no idea who this guy is or what he's done. And I have to admit I could understand Jez feeling I'm just out to get him sometimes (:lol:) because I have to admit I don't really "get it". Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this CD at all. Vocally this dude leaves a lot to be desired, and in my honest opinion, none of these songs are really going to stick around in my head. But it's not bad. To me it's just a solid, consistent collection of good hard rock songs and the ballad, around track 5 or 6 was quite nice. But (sorry Jez) there is nothing on this CD that sets it apart from 1000's on decent hard rock CDs I've previously dismissed because as well as being consistent, there's nothing really killer or stand-out-ish about it, for me. Solid and unspectacular, IMO.

No worries Geoff - We will agree to disagree again mate. The Robby V and the Kim Mitchell are both absolutely top class discs for me so, I will leave it at that and Say no more. Deaf B**tard :lol:

No worries Geoff - We will agree to disagree again mate. The Robby V and the Kim Mitchell are both absolutely top class discs for me so, I will leave it at that and Say no more. Deaf B**tard :lol:

At least you both agree on how awesome Cliff and Poison is. :whistle: