First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Lightspeed 'Waves' Wow ! I'm impressed. That's great pomp prog :banana:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Danny Vaughn~ Traveller

You know, I was really looking forward to this album. On first spin, I think it is very boring. Average. Too many slow tunes. His voice sounds awesome as always but he needs to rock more. Am I disappointed? A little. I sure hope this one grows on me. I just don't see it happening though.

Danny Vaughn~ Traveller

You know, I was really looking forward to this album. On first spin, I think it is very boring. Average. Too many slow tunes. His voice sounds awesome as always but he needs to rock more. Am I disappointed? A little. I sure hope this one grows on me. I just don't see it happening though.

I felt the same way Chad and that hurts to say because I'm a HUGE Danny Vaughn fan.

I really had reservations about listening to this before I bought it and now I wish I wouldn't have.

There was a lot of talk about this being the best thing he's done since "Don't Come Easy" but upon 1st listen I didn't hear it. Maybe I should spin a few more times.

Danny Vaughn~ Traveller

I felt the same way Chad and that hurts to say because I'm a HUGE Danny Vaughn fan.

I really had reservations about listening to this before I bought it and now I wish I wouldn't have.

There was a lot of talk about this being the best thing he's done since "Don't Come Easy" but upon 1st listen I didn't hear it. Maybe I should spin a few more times.

I've spinned it a few, and it's still boring -_-

Danny Vaughn~ Traveller

I am so bored with it that I have yet to spin it. Thinking I shouldn't bother.

Danny Vaughn~ Traveller

Your comments don't sound good ! <_< Should I pass on this one ? :unsure:

Danny Vaughn~ Traveller

I just gave it a 2nd spin and while it's better the 2nd time around there are still not enough rocking songs and too many ballads. I'm still dissapointed due to the fact that I've read several quotes including one from Danny himself claiming it to be the best thing he's ever done and the heaviest thing he's ever done. I'm sure I'll still buy this one but unless it continues to grow on me with repeated listens I don't see it being in my top 10 at the end of the year.

I just gave this a 3rd spin and it's growing on me but still there's too many ballads and it's nowhere near as good as Tyketto's "Don't Come Easy" as was advertised.

Blind Ego - Mirror

Prog Rock of the finest sort !! banger.gif

The band has been founded by Kalle Wallner, one of the best lead guitarists in Germany at the moment and band member of the german prog rock band RPWL (anyone know them ??)

Some other members of Blind Ego: John Mitchell (Kino, Arena), John Jowitt (IQ, Arena), Clive Nolan (Arena)

The CD can be bought at: http://www.insideoutshop.de

Blind Ego - Mirror

The band has been founded by Kalle Wallner, one of the best lead guitarists in Germany at the moment and band member of the german prog rock band RPWL (anyone know them ??)

Some other members of Blind Ego: John Mitchell (Kino, Arena), John Jowitt (IQ, Arena), Clive Nolan (Arena)

Bernd - I heard a couple of soundbytes of this one a while back and completely forgot it was coming out. Sounded really good, so an order has been put in. Look forward to hearing it in, full especially as Mitchell, Jowitt & Nolan are onboard. Will let you know what I think when it arrives!!

Blind Ego - Mirror

Bernd - I heard a couple of soundbytes of this one a while back and completely forgot it was coming out. Sounded really good, so an order has been put in. Look forward to hearing it in, full especially as Mitchell, Jowitt & Nolan are onboard. Will let you know what I think when it arrives!!

It hasn't left my player until today noon, so I am looking forward to your review !! :P

Danny Vaughn~ Traveller

I just gave it a 2nd spin and while it's better the 2nd time around there are still not enough rocking songs and too many ballads. I'm still dissapointed due to the fact that I've read several quotes including one from Danny himself claiming it to be the best thing he's ever done and the heaviest thing he's ever done. I'm sure I'll still buy this one but unless it continues to grow on me with repeated listens I don't see it being in my top 10 at the end of the year.

I just gave this a 3rd spin and it's growing on me but still there's too many ballads and it's nowhere near as good as Tyketto's "Don't Come Easy" as was advertised.

Agree with all you guys (and gal :wub:). I didn't even bother mentioning I'd heard it here because I thought it was that boring. Absolutely nothing I liked on it at all. :( I wish he'd made another From The Inside disc.

Anyway, I spun Irrelevant - 'Ascension' for the first time this morning. I saw these guys at Taste of Chaos in 2005 and LOVED them, been looking for this for ages and finally got it off Aussie ebay last week. Spun it this morning and LOVED it. Picture Summerhero, Silverstein and maybe a bit of Rise Against, with a very, very faint hint of some Harem Scarem at times (melody-wise). Basically, the albums kicks ass and is an instant top 10 modern rock disc for me... maybe, I'll let you know soon.

Code - The Enemy within

After the first spin I thought this was very good, but after the second spin it became really impressive !!

Code - The Enemy within

After the first spin I thought this was very good, but after the second spin it became really impressive !!

Listen mate, we're really not interested in what you thought the 2nd time round. You see anyone else here cheating? :P

Just got The Poodles in the mail on Friday and I listened to it Saturday night after I listened to Wig Wam probably a bad mistake, I didn't think it was all that good. Some of the songs were a little slow without much intensity. I'll give it another shot today.

3 Legged Dogg, FROZEN SUMMER:

Got this promo in the mail late last week, so far it's not very impressive. Some great players on this one (Carlos Cavazo, Vinny Appice, Jimmy Bain) but it's rather bland, basic hard rock. Not really up my alley.

Code - The Enemy within

Listen mate, we're really not interested in what you thought the 2nd time round. You see anyone else here cheating? :P

Well spotted. We need to run a tight-ship on these threads & any rule-breaking ought to meet a stern response. If you allow a slight flouting of the rules here & there you end up with total anarchy. Anyway, sticking 100% to the rules:

PRIDE OF LIONS - The Snoring of Dreams

Okay I know it's not called that but after the brilliant opening half this one tails off dramatically. Talk about front-loading an album...

You see anyone else here cheating? :P

:rofl2:

Not really, do you ?!?!

Example:

Question to Geoff: Could you name your 10 favourite CD's ?

Answer by Geoff: Sure, here you are: 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., 6., 7., 8., 9., 10., 11., 12., ......... 99., 100. Sorry, just couldn't do only 10 !! :whistle:

Well spotted. We need to run a tight-ship on these threads & any rule-breaking ought to meet a stern response. If you allow a slight flouting of the rules here & there you end up with total anarchy. Anyway, sticking 100% to the rules:

Oh, since the "Lonnie campaign" things have changed, have they ?!?! :lol:

And I admit, I got caught !! :anon:

You see anyone else here cheating? :P

Not really, do you ?!?!

Example:

Question to Geoff: Could you name your 10 favourite CD's ?

Answer by Geoff: Sure, here you are: 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., 6., 7., 8., 9., 10., 11., 12., ......... 99., 100. Sorry, just couldn't do only 10 !! :whistle:

:lol: I do do that, don't I? Okay, guess we'll let you off the hook just this once. :( *curses being met with intelligence he'd not prepared for* :P

I'm jamming Nevada Beach "Zero Day" for the first time.

Rob was nice enough to hook me up with it.

I have to say that I dig what I'm hearing.

Just good AC/DC inspired Hard Rock.

Not as good as Dirty Looks but it rocks all the same.

St Warren - 'Honest Planet' (Thanks Jarred!!!!) - wow, this kinda blew my head off. Definately a couple of fillers, but the opening track, the 3rd track... the drums... the beefy sound. I loved the hell out of this thing. Reminds me a little of Shy Tiger on heat, I guess. Loved it!

Saosin - s/t ; surprised I never heard anyone mention this one back in 2006. Bascially, these guys have been favourites amongst the emo crowd since their 2003 EP 'Translating the name' which I thought was okay, saved mostly by one killer track. The new, whole album, though, is a whole other story. I think this is getting about 2 star reviews amongst the emo kids and they've lost credibility because they've gone all commercial (read melodic)... which is a good thing for me, and where I step in. Bascially, I'm only up to song 7 so far but I've liked every track so far. Big choruses and some great melodies. Anyone with a faint like for modern rock needs to check these guys out. They'd easily score high in my revised top 10 albums of 2006 if I re-did my list.

Stikki Fykk

"Sleazy We Meow"

After about the 3rd horrid track, I had heard enough.

Bad singer and terrible lyrics. Not even remotely funny IMO.

Music wasn't bad but was destroyed by the singer and lyrics.

Steer clear from this one folks.

Sorry Stormspell. This release is horrible.

Check out the song titles folks:

1. Kinky Butthole Party In Lululand

2. Callboyz From LA

3. Silicon Party In Boobytown (Geoff should like this one!!)

4. Gangbang Secretary

5. Buttfukk Princezz Izabelle (hey... I should add this to the "songs with a chick's name in it" thread!!) :lol:

6. Tell Me Who The Queen Iz, An' She Will Sukk My Peniz

7. Your Cream Iz Az Pink Az My Cadillac

8. Sleazy We Meauw

9. Get A Little Nazty

10. Baby Hold Me Tight

11. True Defenderz Of Pink Steel

Masterplan S/t and Aeronautics.

I love Jorn Lande's voice and I'm a big Helloween fan, so there was doubt that I would dig these two.

The s/t seems to be a little darker and not quite as commercial as "Aeronautics".

From the s/t release I really like "Spirit Never Die", "Enlighten Me", "Soulburn" and "Kind Hearted Light".

From the Aeronautics release I dig "Crimson Rider", "Back for my Life", "After the War", "Into the Arena", and the awesome epic "Black in the Burn".

All in all two solid Power Metal albums.

Saint - TIME'S END (1986)

I wasn't that impressed with the last Saint album I tried out (TOO LATE FOR LIVING, 1988), which was merely OK, but I was VERY impressed with TIME'S END. The lead vocalist obviously studied at the University of Rob Halford, because he sounds uncannily like Rob circa 1979-81, he can hit similar high notes and his vocal phrasing is very similar to Rob's as well. Musically, TIME'S END sounds like a lost Priest album that could've come between BRITISH STEEL and POINT OF ENTRY. Very good stuff!

Ark "Burn the Sun"

This is the second Ark release and the 1st one I've ever heard and it features Jorn on vocals.

It's a great Pogressive Metal release that has really suprised me.

"Heal the Waters", "Burn the Sun", "Resurrection", "Waking Hour", and "Absolute Zero" are all killer Prog Metal songs. I'd like to see Jorn try something like this again in the future now that he's left Masterplan.

Got a few to mention here:

Jonah33 - s/t ; good album, terrible lyrics. One of the most blatantly christian ever. I couldn't believe the lyrics in 'All that matters' which went as such: 'Everything I have is trash, compared to knowing who you are, Everything is trash, compared to knowing you'. So his family and friends are trash? As long as he has god throw everything else in the bin? Sorry Mark, Jim and Matt... not going to get any further into it but everytime I hear a CD like this my anger boils again. :( Good CD though. :) 'Beautiful' was a beautiful song.

Jonah33 - 'Strangest Day' ; Just as blatant as the debut, and also a good CD... but I prefer the debut. Better songs IMO. I will listen to both these CDs again because, like Stryper, the songs were very strong... but I really did hate these lyrics.

Die Trying - s/t ; wow. Picture My American Heart, Hit the Lights and The Used all mixed up... but on first spin I preferred this to all (and I love all of them). LOVED this CD... great to see some cheeky sex lyrics on a modern CD, and not all this serious "emo" subject matter. :)

And FYI, finished up Saosin - s/t too ; excellent stuff.