Blanc Faces

T-BONE

I think Tim said it in another thread, but he's right with this. Sounds like outtakes from the debut. You could pretty much take any song off this album and swap it with stuff on the debut. Complete and total carry on from that. So if you loved the debut, chances are you'll love this.

It must be said, though, there doesn't appear to be quite as many highlights this time round. All the songs were good to excellent and I don't think any fans of the band will be at all disappointed, but I don't think it'll edge out the debut in terms of quality.

One minor difference I did notice is there were perhaps a little more keys this time round? Looking forward to plenty more spins and forming a good opinion, but initially I'm very happy with it. Should reside comfortably in my top 10 this year.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Tim said it in another thread, but he's right with this. Sounds like outtakes from the debut. You could pretty much take any song off this album and swap it with stuff on the debut. Complete and total carry on from that. So if you loved the debut, chances are you'll love this.

It must be said, though, there doesn't appear to be quite as many highlights this time round. All the songs were good to excellent and I don't think any fans of the band will be at all disappointed, but I don't think it'll edge out the debut in terms of quality.

One minor difference I did notice is there were perhaps a little more keys this time round? Looking forward to plenty more spins and forming a good opinion, but initially I'm very happy with it. Should reside comfortably in my top 10 this year.

I don't think this is Top 10 material mate. Don't get me wrong this is a good disc, with some truly killer tunes (closer "Fly" is just awesome), and the vocals are even better this time round. It's just that after the first 5 songs or so there are just a bunch of slower tunes with no tempo/harmonies and only mildly interesting hooks. This band do amazing harmonies, and yet how many choruses on here contain any? A couple? And the picture on the back-cover of this CD is horrible - definitely one to hide away in your CD collection so no-one can see it. An enjoyable listen & worth picking-up for sure, but just lacking 2 or 3 extra killer songs IMO....

I don't think this is Top 10 material mate. Don't get me wrong this is a good disc, with some truly killer tunes (closer "Fly" is just awesome), and the vocals are even better this time round. It's just that after the first 5 songs or so there are just a bunch of slower tunes with no tempo/harmonies and only mildly interesting hooks. This band do amazing harmonies, and yet how many choruses on here contain any? A couple? And the picture on the back-cover of this CD is horrible - definitely one to hide away in your CD collection so no-one can see it. An enjoyable listen & worth picking-up for sure, but just lacking 2 or 3 extra killer songs IMO....

I'll be having a good look at my top 10 this afternoon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see me agree with you. Although I do believe 'Falling From The Moon' and 'I Swear To You' are two of the best songs of the year, as well as a couple at the end also... there does seem to be a few plodders. That said, the only outright filler is 'Like A Believer'. I do like every other song, but as you say they're just not quite truly amazing.

It's unfortunate that they were all based on tragedy, but those three ballads off the debut all filled my spine with chills. Stunning songs. These new ones don't even get close to that sort of impact.

I'll be having a good look at my top 10 this afternoon, but I wouldn't be surprised to see me agree with you. Although I do believe 'Falling From The Moon' and 'I Swear To You' are two of the best songs of the year, as well as a couple at the end also... there does seem to be a few plodders. That said, the only outright filler is 'Like A Believer'. I do like every other song, but as you say they're just not quite truly amazing.

Yeah "Like A Believer" is a shocker. If this goes in your Top 10 then I don't think you've heard enough music this year!

• 7 years later...

Why on earth did you not get it back in the day?! Fantastic album. Possibly my favourite from the year it was released.

I dont own it either. Borders on too cheesy for me. 2 or 3 great songs tho

Too cheesy? Don't you like Pride Of Lions?

No aside from half the debut which isnt cheesy

lol. Peterik couldn't do something un-cheesy if he tried.

Too Hot to Sleep.

Too Hot to Sleep.

Is a great album. But one non-cheesy album out of about 50 releases isn't a great ratio. ;)