Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

Watched a grip of films over the past few days:

Star Wars-The Rise of Skywalker  I didn't mind it as much as some slagged on it. Sure the Mary Sue element is ridiculous but if you can ignore most of that the underlying stories are pretty solid and of course the inner fanboy ate it up like a biscuit.

Fantasy Island  I used to adore BlumeHouse. They have saturated themselves and watered down their stronghold, but that said this film was albeit ridiculous worth an hour 20.

Satanic Panic  This was surprisingly great. Gobs of gore and a pretty good story and solid humor and acting. Run out and watch this as its quite fun.

Bill & Ted Face the Music  1 word can sum this up "EXCELLENT"! I know many bagged on it but man what a solid entry into the franchise. A million nods to the old films, a ton of cameos and just overlooked for its epicness. Kind of like Zoolander 2, also brilliant, but also fell flat for whatever reason. I know some capped on the daughters but their role was supporting and didn't detract from their dads journey.

Ford V Ferrari  Really enjoyed this one. Intriguing/sad story, well written and acted and I think I now like Matt Damon...

Haunt  Solid Eli Roth vehicle (someone mentioned Knock Knock now I need to find that) with a simple story and some well placed jumps and gore. Nice finale as well.

Seems I am forgetting a couple but oh well.

Fatman - Saantya flick with Mel Gibson as Santa and Walter Goggins as the hit man hired to kill him. Good enough. Some unexpected twists, which is always nice.

Freaky - started as your typical teen horror type flivk, but took a nice twist, I didn't know what the movie was about so I won't disclose the plot, but worth seeing without checking out trailers. Vince Vaughn is in it and does well.

Boss Level - pretty sure this is some video game type movie rip off. No fucking ending, whcih sucked...

Tenet - The dude from Ballers and Blackkklansman is in ity. He was pretty good, but this was a Matrix/Inception style movie, that requires pretty much full attention through it's 2 1/2 hours. Pretty average overall.

Movies went through that stage for the last few years where that were far too long, most around or over 2 hours.
Not usually warranted and it seems that they have reeled them back in to 1.5 hours more lately.

The few I forgot:

Freaky Quite nice. Done by the same guy who did the 2 Happy Death Day films and this one is a nice play on an old movie. As mentioned Vince Vaughen is in it and he is cool as ever.

Onward Really well done Pixar/Disney vehicle, well worth a watch.

Love & Monsters Really well done, lots of good effects and that kid from the Maze Runner films is in it and he is a good actor. Another nice movie well worth your time.

Honest Thief. Not too bad. Full of plot holes, and watching it, it was obvious that the right people would be held accountable eventually, even if he just went into hiding. Should have been set in the 70's where DNA tests etc were not a thing to be more plausible.
But still fun enough to watch, just turn off your brain.

The Midnight Sky.
George Clooney in an end of the world type thingy with a spaceship returning to Earth.
A bit like Interstellar but not as good.
More about the human psyche than what the trailer led me to believe.
OK, but wouldn't watch again. 

• My Little Pony

Freaky (2020) 

It was ok at best. Seen it before. I was kinda bored. 

La La Land (2016)

I'm in love with Emma Stone, so it was only a matter of time before I watched this. Actually, I wanted to see it when it was playing in theatres, but none of the people I see movies with wanted to see it. So I finally got around to it, because I was talking about Emma with a friend. If I'm honest, I was a bit disappointed. There's a dream sequence at the end of the film that is incredible, and my impression, for four years, was that the entire film was like that. Unfortunately, I was wrong. It's still a good film. I'm not sure why it "won the Oscar's" back in 2016, but it was still good. 

Anna and the Apocalypse (2017)

Christmas. Zombies. Musical. It really has no right to be as good as it is... but it is. Let's get one thing out of the way: it's not actually a Christmas film. It just happens to take place around that holiday. None of the songs have anything to do with Christmas, but, let me tell you, some of the songs are actually pretty good. This movie surprised me. Give it a try if you're not put off by that mash-up of genres. 

The Gangster, the Cop, the Devil (2019)

A Korean film based on true events. I won't say what those events are, because of rather not spoil anything. If you're into Korean film, which a lot of people are right now, because of Parasite, you should watch this. I really enjoyed it. 

Parasite (2019)

Yeah... Took me for-fuckin'-ever to get around to this. And maybe I was a little let down. I can't quite understand why this won all the awards, but it was still a good film. It's a fairly original story, with a few surprises. 

I also binged a few TV shows. 

The Boys (Season 2)

Holy shit! If you thought the first season was good... this one will change your life. And if you've never seen any of it, sort your fucking life out, mate!

Space Force (Season 1)

I enjoyed this more than most, apparently, as it seems to have got shit reviews. It's not all that hilarious. It has a few chuckles. But it's got heart. And unfortunately, it probably won't see a second season. 

Letterkenny (Season 9)

Fuck me! This show just took it to another level with Coach and his stories of his late wife Barb. It wasn't the strongest season, but I think last season will be difficult to top. 

The Mandalorian (Season 2)

I know a lot of people complained about the first season, because they felt it was mostly unnecessary. But I continue to argue that, while each episode might have felt disjointed, they all introduced new characters, and laid the foundation for the future of the series. If you gave up on the show, please give it another try. At least "struggle" through the first season, because the second season is abso-fuckin'-lutely incredible!!! Hoe! Lee! Fuck!!! This is the shit Star Wars fans have been wanting for years--in my case, forever. 

Kingdom (Season 1&2)

I binged both seasons. They're only 6 episodes each, averaging 50 minutes each. This is the Korean show, not whatever the fuck the other show with the same name is. Zombies. 1600's. Korea. You may not care to watch yet another show about zombies, but this one is different. I mean, there's the setting: 3 years after the Japanese invasions of Korea. So roughly 1601. Right in the middle of the Joseon Dynasty. The costumes are amazing, and I'd argue they alone warrant your time. This series plays heavier into politics than the typical mindless killing of zombies. I highly recommend it. The ending was way better than the rest of the entire show, which is not at all a slight to the series. I just didn't expect it to end the way it did. And they're gonna wrap it up with a film this year, so I can't wait for that. Hopefully it picks up right where it ended, because I wanna see more of that storyline. Not gonna spoil it, though. 

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, CureTheSane said:

Space Force was good.
And it's been renewed for a second season :)

That's good news. 

Karpet, I agree the Boys 2 seasons are awesome. Can't wait for more. 

Also agree on Anna & the Apocalypse, I rather enjoyed the High School Musical/Shawn of The Dead mash up.

Watched Soul, the Pixar Disney affair and I must say it was well done.

Bright Lights Big Titties and Weapons Of Ass Destruction

• Like 1

Watched a couple older music doc's on the Youtube:

Last Days Here-Pentagram - this one was kind of brutal at times, but ultimately a nice effort from a fan that basically saved Rob. Good docmentary.

&

Slow Southern Steel-As the title implies this documentary is about all things doomed up and southern. Interviews with the likes of Hank III, EyeHateGod, Phil Anselmo and a grip of other Pabst drinking, confederate flag flying hillbiilly rednecks. Nice film and I did quite enjoy it.

On 1/3/2021 at 8:37 PM, martinsane said:

Binged season 3 of Cobra Kai on Netflix. 

Go watch this and/or all 3 seasons immediately as it is ridiculously awesome.

Agreed, I am a big fan of the first Karate Kid movie but I wasn't expecting this series to grab my attention like it did.  I like how they incorporate moments and characters from those original movies and toss in a nice dose of 80's rock from time to time.

• 1 month later...

Tenet (2020) - this was highly overrated...confusing mess of a movie.....might have been okay with a better cut....

Monster Hunter (2020) - decent mindless fun flick with a lot of cgi .... setup for a sequel....

Willy's Wonderland (2021) - best Cage flick in quite sometime although it is nothing great...fun and funny horror flick...

• My Little Pony
22 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Tenet (2020) - this was highly overrated...confusing mess of a movie.....might have been okay with a better cut....

Was it overrated? I haven't heard a single good thing about it. 

• My Little Pony
14 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Bliss.

uuuuughhhh. Meh, meh, meh

Good to know. I guess I'll skip it. One less movie or TV show to watch is always welcome. Heh. 

9 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Good to know. I guess I'll skip it. One less movie or TV show to watch is always welcome. Heh. 

It is basically an arthouse film.
Not what I expected with Owen Wilson and Salma Hayek

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

It is basically an arthouse film.
Not what I expected with Owen Wilson and Salma Hayek

Right! Salma Hayek! That's why I wanted to watch it. Hmm, I might still have to. 

;}