Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

I've seen "Attack the Block" - fun stuff.

The only problem for me was being a non-Brit, it took me a while to get a handle on the accents on the main characters. I swear it was a good fifteen minutes into the film before I understood a damn thing any of 'em said. :rofl:

Doh! My message was aimed at Karpet, but for some reason I thought I was replying to you. Must be your inextricable link to the Movies thread; ;)

Funny thing is - I wondered about exactly the thing you mentioned while I was watching it, i.e. "surely no one who isn't English is going to udnerstand what these guys are saying"?

:lol:

• My Little Pony

The only problem for me was being a non-Brit, it took me a while to get a handle on the accents on the main characters. I swear it was a good fifteen minutes into the film before I understood a damn thing any of 'em said. :rofl:

Doh! My message was aimed at Karpet, but for some reason I thought I was replying to you. Must be your inextricable link to the Movies thread; ;)

Funny thing is - I wondered about exactly the thing you mentioned while I was watching it, i.e. "surely no one who isn't English is going to udnerstand what these guys are saying"?

I didn't have a problem with the accents, but I'm sure that's the reason they're making an American version.

I watch a lot of James Bond movies so I'm used to hearing the very prim and proper British (London?) accent... therefore the "street kids" in "Attack the Block," between the accents and the slang they used, sounded like they came from an entirely different planet :rofl:

Reminds me of years ago when I met John Gallagher of Raven - hell of a nice guy but his extremely thick Newcastle accent was a little hard to follow. :lol:

The receptionist at my job at the time was originally from London and she had the very prim-and-proper Brit accent, I mentioned to her that I'd just met this guy from Newcastle and couldn't help but notice how different his accent was from hers, and she sez "Oh yes, Newcastle accents even sound strange to ME." :rofl2:

• My Little Pony

I watch a lot of James Bond movies so I'm used to hearing the very prim and proper British (London?) accent... therefore the "street kids" in "Attack the Block," between the accents and the slang they used, sounded like they came from an entirely different planet :rofl:

Reminds me of years ago when I met John Gallagher of Raven - hell of a nice guy but his extremely thick Newcastle accent was a little hard to follow. :lol:

The receptionist at my job at the time was originally from London and she had the very prim-and-proper Brit accent, I mentioned to her that I'd just met this guy from Newcastle and couldn't help but notice how different his accent was from hers, and she sez "Oh yes, Newcastle accents even sound strange to ME." :rofl2:

Those northerners...

They sound much different than Londoners. Especially South London. Throw in a few scousers for a laugh.

"Garage Days" (2002)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H1iVGFqOhM

Good natured, fluffy Aussie comedy about a struggling Sydney rock band trying to get their first big break, and the various romantic and personal entanglements they encounter along the way up the ladder to supposed success.

There's nothin' here that you haven't seen in a thousand other rock 'n' roll movies but the cast is likable and there are some good gags. The soundtrack is pretty jam'n too. (In spite of the film's title, there is no Metallica music in the film, but since it's an Australian flick, Oz heroes AC/DC get quite a bit of air time.)

Oddly enough, the film was directed by Alex Proyas, who's known mainly for grimmer fare like "The Crow" and "Dark City."

"Death Wish 4: The Crackdown" (1987)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpBLG3pkpk4

Charles Bronson is back... and he sez crack is wack!!!

Bronson returns for a 4th go round as vigilante Paul Kersey, who starts a gang war between two groups of rival L.A. cocaine dealers after his girlfriend's daughter dies of an overdose. The usual comical mayhem ensues.

So '80s that it almost hurts, especially during the climactic shootout/stand off scenes set in a roller rink and video game arcade.

They don't make'em like this anymore!!

I didn't have a problem with the accents, but I'm sure that's the reason they're making an American version.

:doh:

Those northerners...

They sound much different than Londoners. Especially South London. Throw in a few scousers for a laugh.

He he. The London accent is closer to the way the fellas in 'Attack The Block' speak to "the very prim-and-proper Brit accent"! Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but if you want to hear how most people from London (and, indeed, most of the south-east of England) speak, watch five minutes of Eastenders.

"Yeah, innit mate."

"Naa what I mean?"

"Yeah geezer. Sorted."

I don't know anyone who has that posh accent. There are very few of them - they tend to live in Surrey, have an 'estate' rather than a house and own horses.

When the TV sreries 'Taggart' was sold to American audiences, it had to be subtitled 'cause no-one could understand the Glaswegian accents :) I'm not sure it lasted too long across the pond ...

Those northerners...

My Grandad was from Newcastle ... when he met someone for the first time, he'd generally revert to a strong Newcastle accent just to confuse/annoy/upset them ... my Mum is Welsh and apparently still has an accent (although, obviously, I don't hear it) ... the 'London' accent has spread East ... Basildon is full of 'Londoners', innit? :(

• My Little Pony

Those northerners...

My Grandad was from Newcastle ... when he met someone for the first time, he'd generally revert to a strong Newcastle accent just to confuse/annoy/upset them ... my Mum is Welsh and apparently still has an accent (although, obviously, I don't hear it) ... the 'London' accent has spread East ... Basildon is full of 'Londoners', innit? :(

I love it. I'd do the same thing... if I didn't have such an easily understandable Canadian accent. ;}

My first visit to the island was a rugby tour with my school. I was 16, and we started in Scotland. Edinburgh, I believe. I was so tired from all the travelling, but I didn't want to be rude, so I stayed up to talk with the family a teammate and I were billeting with. He had such a thick accent, and I managed to understand what he was saying, but my mate was just staring back with a "what the fuck are they saying?" kind of look.

• My Little Pony

:doh:

Those northerners...

He he. The London accent is closer to the way the fellas in 'Attack The Block' speak to "the very prim-and-proper Brit accent"! Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but if you want to hear how most people from London (and, indeed, most of the south-east of England) speak, watch five minutes of Eastenders.

"Yeah, innit mate."

"Naa what I mean?"

"Yeah geezer. Sorted."

Yeah, but that's not simply an accent. That's a whole nother dialect! ;}

When the TV sreries 'Taggart' was sold to American audiences, it had to be subtitled 'cause no-one could understand the Glaswegian accents :) I'm not sure it lasted too long across the pond ...

I don't find the accents to be difficult to understand but then again I watch a lot of British tv shows....Taggart has the occassional word that I miss but that's it...

The Dark Knight Rises (again) ,while the wife and kids were out yesterday afternoon.

Brides Maids (again), with the wife last night after the kids went to bed.

"Lifeforce" (1985)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTM0lAiSJ6w

This big budget sci-fi/horror flick from Tobe ("Texas Chainsaw Massacre," "Poltergeist") Hooper ranks as one of the most batshit insane movies to come out of the 1980s. A space shuttle studying Halley's Comet discovers an alien craft hidden in the comet's tail, and brings three humanoid creatures that they find inside the craft back to Earth. Unfortunately the three happen to be Space Vampires who are soon causing mass chaos as they "drain" the population of London.

Lifeforce has decent special effects and lotsa gratuitious female nudity but the movie stops making a lick of sense about 30 minutes in and simply gets more ridiculous from there. For maximum enjoyment, turn off your brain and just enjoy the carnage.

The Reef....Pretty good and believable movie. Based on true events.

"Phantasm" (1979)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juQ1P-uFbA4

In Don "Beastmaster" Coscorelli's cult low budget horror classic, a pair of brothers investigate sinister goings-on at the local mortuary run by the mysterious "Tall Man" (Angus Scrimm).

This flick gets a lot of love from horror geeks for its "surreal" or "dreamlike" quality (i.e. the movie makes almost no damn sense!), though I'd say those qualities are due more to budget restraints and the filmmakers' lack of experience, than to any artistic sensibilities.

It's got some cool set pieces and the soundtrack is creepy. Otherwise, I've never really understood what all the whoop-de-doo is about this flick. Average at best.

I have "Phantasm II" next in the DVD pile and if things don't get any better in that one, then I'm certainly not going to bother with any more of this series.