80's Pop Song of the Day

Darkstone

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's a selection from "The Cars".

Another band synonymous with the 80's.

I've cheated a bit by posting "Let's Go" from 1979 (maybe a 70's Pop song of the day thread is on the cards).

I've also added Ric Ocasek's Killer solo track, "Emotion in Motion" from '86.

Let us also not forget that Ric Ocasek was married for 30 years to Sports Illustrated/Super model Paulina Porizkova.

Another of life's mysteries that I struggle to come to terms with.

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors

The "Motels" are another band that just oozes 80's. 

I've cheated again by adding "Total Control" from '79, but fuck it.

I'm sure the guys from my vintage will recognise these tracks.

BTW, "Take the L" is one of the best songs of the decade, without doubt. That's why I posted it twice. The sound quality on the video wasn't the best, but I still had to post it. 

I've also posted the successful single "Don't Tell Me the Time" from the 1987 Martha Davis solo album. 

All of these tracks are massive time machines for me.

Edited by Darkstone

On 1/20/2023 at 2:29 AM, Darkstone said:

Here's a selection from "The Cars".

Another band synonymous with the 80's.

I've cheated a bit by posting "Let's Go" from 1979 (maybe a 70's Pop song of the day thread is on the cards).

I've also added Ric Ocasek's Killer solo track, "Emotion in Motion" from '86.

Let us also not forget that Ric Ocasek was married for 30 years to Sports Illustrated/Super model Paulina Porizkova.

Another of life's mysteries that I struggle to come to terms with.

In my opinion, their song "Drive" with bassist Benjamin Orr (RIP) on vocals is one of the best pop rock tracks from the 80's

• Like 3

• 2023 Gold Donors

In 1989, Legendary Aussie muso, Ian Moss (Lead Guitarist and Co Singer of Cold Chisel) released a solo album, "Matchbook", that is an absolute AOR hidden gem.

These two tracks are pure class, back when this stuff was considered "Pop" music and received massive radio and TV airplay. 

I really miss those days.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors

Here's another random mix of 6 that highlight the great diversity of 80's Pop Music. 

I've added the obligatory Aussie track, what is arguably the best Bryan Adams track and a cover track featuring the original Artist that may be the best cover track ever.... Maybe?

• 2023 Gold Donors
30 minutes ago, Mr.AOR said:

Nice one mate.

I saw "Bachelor Party" 3 times at the cinema when it was released in '84 and many times on VHS back in the day.

It was my "Citizen Kane".

An early Tom Hanks Masterpiece! 

My first exposure to a pre 'Whitesnake" Tawny Kitaen Co Starring was a nice bonus.

I always think of it when I hear this track. 

Edited by Darkstone

These song of the day threads have become a stain on the HH message board. Does anyone actually ever play the videos? I get the feeling they are NYOilers style post count builders.

13 hours ago, auslander said:

These song of the day threads have become a stain on the HH message board. Does anyone actually ever play the videos? I get the feeling they are NYOilers style post count builders.

Did we wake up on wrong side this morning?

• Haha 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, auslander said:

I watched it just like everyone else.

Not!

I can only reiterate my first post...

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Fuck off.  ;)

...and also add, shut the fuck up.

19 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

I can only reiterate my first post...

...and also add, shut the fuck up.

I would but it takes five minutes to load the page in order to see your reply. Gotta load all those multiple video links to songs everyone has heard a thousand times and won't play now. Anyway, I see your reply is the same as your previous reply, so it's in spirit of these song of the day threads - eminently pointless.

• 2023 Gold Donors
34 minutes ago, auslander said:

I would but it takes five minutes to load the page in order to see your reply. Gotta load all those multiple video links to songs everyone has heard a thousand times and won't play now. Anyway, I see your reply is the same as your previous reply, so it's in spirit of these song of the day threads - eminently pointless.

Amazing.

I don't know what has crawled up your arse, but as I've mentioned before, this site is many different things to many different people. 

One of the things I enjoy most about my love of music is sharing it with others.

One of the things I love about this site is the general respect we show each other.

Go and listen to your Christian music, create another tier list thread and again... Shut the Fuck Up!