Motley Crue guitarist retires from touring - issues statement

whiplash1972

Well, who could've ever seen any issues coming? :crazy:

MICK MARS Sues MÖTLEY CRÜE Over Tour Profits, Says All Of NIKKI SIXX's Bass Tracks On 'The Stadium Tour' Were Pre-Recorded - BLABBERMOUTH.NET

MICK MARS Sues MÖTLEY CRÜE Over Tour Profits, Says All Of NIKKI SIXX's Bass Tracks On 'The Stadium Tour' Were Pre-Recorded

**UPDATE**: Deadline has uploaded a copy of Mick Mars's entire lawsuit at Deadline.com (PDF file).

MÖTLEY CRÜE guitarist Mick Mars has sued his bandmates, claiming they are ripping him off financially.

Mars, whose real name is Robert Alan Deal, announced in October that he was retiring from touring with MÖTLEY CRÜE due to his ongoing painful struggle with ankylosing spondylitis, a type of arthritis that causes inflammation in the spine joints and ligaments and can lead to stiffness over time. But in his lawsuit, which was obtained by TMZ, the 71-year-old says he made it clear he could still record with the band or do limited performances, but he just couldn't handle a full tour with his condition.

Mars lawsuit, which was filed Thursday (April 6) in Los Angeles County's Superior Court, states that his bandmates held an emergency shareholders' meeting to throw him out of MÖTLEY CRÜE and strip him of his shares in the corporation that manages the group's business interests.

In the lawsuit, Mick says MÖTLEY CRÜE cut his percentage of profits from 25 percent to 5 percent after he announced he was stepping back from touring. Furthermore, he claims the band's lawyers made him feel like he should be grateful for even that small cut, because they didn't feel they owed him anything at all. Mick also claims there was a full band meeting and they decided to "unilaterally" remove him from MÖTLEY CRÜE.

Mick also repeatedly accused bassist Nikki Sixx of "gaslighting" him about his guitar skills diminishing, despite the fact that Sixx didn't "play a single note on bass" during a recent tour, according to the guitarist. Mick claims all of Nikki's parts were pre-recorded.

"Sixx made it clear to Mars that he believed that the [5 percent] offer was a generous one, and that Mars, after 41 consecutive years with the band, did not deserve anything going forward," Mick's lawyers wrote in the filing. "Sixx further 'gaslighted' Mars by severely criticizing his performances on the U.S. tour, and exclaimed that there is no way that the band could tour with Mars anymore."

Mars also claims that Sixx would make "band decisions" without telling the other musicians and would ask his bandmates to sign documents "immediately" on Fridays at 5 p.m.

"Astonishingly, Sixx made these claims about Mars's playing while he [Sixx] did not play a single note on bass during the entire U.S. tour," the lawsuit continues. "Ironically, 100% of Sixx's bass parts were nothing but recordings. Sixx was seen fist pumping in the air with his strumming hand, while the bass part was playing. In fact, a significant portion of [Vince] Neil's vocals were also pre-recorded. Even some of [Tommy] Lee's drum parts were recordings. Some fans actually noticed that Lee was walking toward his drum set as they heard his drum part begin.

"Mars, at times on the tour, did play the wrong chords, but not due to any cognitive dysfunction," the lawsuit continues. "He was playing live, and his in-ear monitors were constantly malfunctioning, causing Mars to be unable to hear his own instrument. The fact is that Mars is rarely mocked or criticized online. He is a quiet member of the group, who shows up to play, and puts his heart and soul into each performance. Conversely, other band members are often criticized online, particularly Neil, who is routinely torn to shreds for, among other things, not remembering the songs."

According to Variety, Mars's attorney says he was warned by the band's lawyers that "if your client rejects the severance package that was graciously offered to him by the band, he will get next to nothing. I suggest you think about the repercussions of this decision… There is undisputed legal cause here for Mick's removal. Mick is unable to perform as a full-fledged band member. Among other things, as demonstrated during the last tour, he repeatedly forgets his chords, does not play the right song, plays chords of a different song while on stage, and so on."

Regarding Mick's longtime battle with ankylosing spondylitis, which he was first diagnosed with at age 27, the lawsuit states: "This disease caused Mars' lower spine to seize up and freeze completely solid, causing scoliosis in his back, and also compressing his spine downward, so that he is now at least three inches shorter than he was in high school. His spine is now completely seized from pelvis to skull, a condition known as 'bamboo spine.' He cannot move his head in any direction."

Mick's filing claims that MÖTLEY CRÜE filed an arbitration case against him in February, "essentially suing him" to prove that it had the right to fire him from the band.

"They clearly commenced an arbitration, rather than a public lawsuit, so that the public would not be aware of the deplorable manner in which they treated their 'brother' of 41 years," lawyers for Mars wrote in the petition.

Mick is suing MÖTLEY CRÜE so he can go over all the financial books and determine if he's getting what he feels he deserves.

The news of Mick's lawsuit comes less than a month after legendary drummer Carmine revealed that he had been talking to the guitarist about his exit from MÖTLEY CRÜE: "[Mick told me, 'When I was on 'The Stadium Tour', I was not happy,'" Carmine revealed to Andrew Daly of Ultimate Guitar. "Basically, everything was on tape; it was all planned out and ultimately a lot of crap. And Mick is a pretty good player, and so to now let him loose and play the way he wants, that was never going to work for him. The truth is that everything has been weird for a while with MÖTLEY CRÜE, and Mick didn't like that everything was on tape. Mick told me that people that came to see it could tell that it was all pre-recorded and that everything was on tape.

"When you play in a stadium like that, you can hear a lot of things come to the monitors or what doesn't. And with Vince's [Neil] vocals, bass, drums, guitars, and all the other stuff, it was obvious that it was all on tape. And Mick was pissed off and said, 'I can play these things. I want to play them. I don't want to make believe I'm playing them.' So, I think that's one of the reasons why he said, 'I'm done.' Sure, the disease that he has doesn't help, and it doesn't make life easy on tour, but Mick can play all the licks, and he was allowed to."

When Daly asked Appice to clarify that "Mick wasn't getting along with the rest of" MÖTLEY CRÜE, Carmine said: No, he wasn't. He had his own means of travel and would travel alone on a bus while the other guys flew everywhere. He said, 'Man, these guys are pissing their money away, flying to every gig.' They were all busy still trying to be rock stars, and Mick just wanted to play the music. Mick wasn't interested in wasting time and money flying everywhere, so he traveled by bus. Their lifestyles are different than his, and so there were a lot of disagreements. I think he was just done. They were supposed to have done their last tour, and then they came back. Then they did 'The Stadium Tour', and that was apparently supposed to be the last. So, when they came back again, he said, 'You can do it. I'm not going out with you for this.'"

On March 15, Sixx, who has not given any interviews about Mars's departure from CRÜE, apparently responded directly to Appice's comments, writing in a tweet: "Love how people talk FOR us without talking TO us. This is why the media has lost credibility. Obviously by printing BS they make money off of advertising and we're not into that clickbait game. When the truth comes out it will be FROM üs."

He added later that same day: "A washed up drummer trying to speak for us? And bottom feeder media running with it to make money off of lies? Welcome to the sad new world of LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME."

On March 17, Sixx took part in a Twitter question-and-answer session and was asked by one fan: "Is what Carmine Appice said true?" the CRÜE bassist replied: "A washed up drummer speaking for our band without any of the facts is as ridiculous as bottom feeder media running with stories without fact checking. When you hear the truth it will be from us."

Appice previously touched upon Mars's exit from MÖTLEY CRÜE last November in an interview with Michael's Record Collection. At the time, he said: "[Mick] just gave up his seat in touring with MÖTLEY CRÜE. And John 5 is gonna tour with them. He said, 'Man, we did our final tour [seven years ago]. Now we're out again doing this major tour with DEF LEPPARD.' And he said, 'I don't wanna do it no more. I'm sick of being in a bus.'"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nikki's reply to the lawsuit can be found here:

MÖTLEY CRÜE Blasts MICK MARS's Lawsuit As 'Unfortunate And Completely Off Base' - BLABBERMOUTH.NET

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More from Mick:

MICK MARS On His MÖTLEY CRÜE Bandmates: 'I Carried These Bastards For Years' - BLABBERMOUTH.NET

• 2023 Gold Donors

I'd gladly take the 5% and keep my mouth shut. They sold their catalog at the end of 2021 for $100 million and the tour with Def Leppard was a huge money maker.

4 hours ago, nyoilers said:

I'd gladly take the 5% and keep my mouth shut. They sold their catalog at the end of 2021 for $100 million and the tour with Def Leppard was a huge money maker.

With his medical bills, I am sure he needs all the money he can get. If you get shit on from a great height by the people you have been friends and worked with for years, while you are at your lowest health wise, why settle for a poxy 5%?

If he is legally entitled to 25% then he should get 25%.

Massive Crue fan, but sometimes they can be utter cunts.

• Like 2

• 2023 Gold Donors
19 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

With his medical bills, I am sure he needs all the money he can get. If you get shit on from a great height by the people you have been friends and worked with for years, while you are at your lowest health wise, why settle for a poxy 5%?

If he is legally entitled to 25% then he should get 25%.

Massive Crue fan, but sometimes they can be utter cunts.

I don't think he's legally entitled to any money that they get from performing because he's not performing.

How much money do you think Brian Johnson got from AC/DC when he couldn't perform and Axl stepped in for him ?

• My Little Pony
48 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

I don't think he's legally entitled to any money that they get from performing because he's not performing.

How much money do you think Brian Johnson got from AC/DC when he couldn't perform and Axl stepped in for him ?

Sounds like they aren't performing, either. 

If this is strictly profits from touring, then sure. But if it's 5% of royalties, too, that's bullshit. 

57 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

If the band owns equal shares in the band it should not matter whether he performs or not, he gets paid because he part owns the band name and any money they make, he is owed a share. If they are trying to circumvent this, that is why Mick needs to take legal action.

As for Brian Johnson, I doubt he owns any part of AC/DC seeing as he was not even an original member.

18 hours ago, nyoilers said:

The word 'legally' in there probably should be replaced with 'ethically'

Perhaps legally, perhaps not.

Regardless, I think it's irrelevant.

I suspect they are offering 5% from the tour as a sweetener for him being out of the band, rather than 25% of all recordings, merch, etc and probably zero for touring.

So I agree that morally if he ain't touring then the other 3 get 33% and John 5 is on a wage.

or perhaps Vince gets less, if he agreed to less when he came back.

99% of the comments I'm seeing are pro Mick, and now KK Downing has come out saying he is in exactly the same position.

Looks like manslaughter, drunk driving, wife abuse, and countless other things historically have all slidden though in the name of RNR.

They tried to hide this one with arbitration, and Mick replies with lawyers. Good on him.

• 2023 Gold Donors

He basically called them felons and scumbags in an article over on 'Variety'...and he would be right on the money.

Respect and like this guy,have never liked any of the other guys.Just straight up pieces of sh!t and they've proven that by their behavior over the years.Mick Mars is 72,dealing with a debilitating condition and i imagine just decided to unload on these clowns after taking the high road for far too long.Musicians have sat out tours before and still got paid and have still remained in their respective bands.Those guys saying he isn't up to snuff,forgets chords and cannot play anymore is ten times worse then anything he's said about them - even if true.That is the ultimate kick in the teeth as a musician for someone to tell you that you ain't got it anymore and that you suck.

Anyway,Motley Crue- easily one of the most OVERRATED bands in rock history,

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, Metal T said:

Anyway,Motley Crue- easily one of the most OVERRATED bands in rock history,

Yarp!

If Alice Cooper wasn't on the bill when I saw them, it would have been a boring show. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 4/8/2023 at 11:07 PM, Dead Planet said:

Rich people fighting over money always brings me to tears....;)

End of 2021 the Crue sells their catalog for $100 million. Mars probably gets $25 million. Then they go on tour in the summer of 2022 with Def Leppard and have their biggest money making tour ever.He tells them that he’s done with performing live-which is now their bread and butter. So they basically boot him but throw him a 5% bone.

24 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

End of 2021 the Crue sells their catalog for $100 million. Mars probably gets $25 million. Then they go on tour in the summer of 2022 with Def Leppard and have their biggest money making tour ever.He tells them that he’s done with performing live-which is now their bread and butter. So they basically boot him but throw him a 5% bone.

I have no idea how the industry works, but (out of curiosity) do you think Corabi or Randy Castillo got any of those 100 million dollars?

17 minutes ago, Kristian said:

I have no idea how the industry works, but (out of curiosity) do you think Corabi or Randy Castillo got any of those 100 million dollars?

Well Randy died in 2002, so I doubt he got money in 2021.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nyoilers said:

Pretty sure Nikki took the Lions share of their catalog as he wrote most of it.

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, Kristian said:

The Crue signed a big contract just before Vince left the band in 92. Corabi basically got fired by the record label 

Less than a week after bassist Nikki Sixx revealed that Mötley Crüe were writing new music, it appears the band have hit the studio with their longtime producer, Bob Rock.

Making his announcement last week, Sixx stated: "We are writing. The creative process of songwriting has always been the heartbeat of our band. We’re gonna go in the big studio next week and record a few off the floor and see where it goes. We don’t have a definitive plan at this point. Just letting the songs guide us."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

Less than a week after bassist Nikki Sixx revealed that Mötley Crüe were writing new music, it appears the band have hit the studio with their longtime producer, Bob Rock.

Making his announcement last week, Sixx stated: "We are writing. The creative process of songwriting has always been the heartbeat of our band. We’re gonna go in the big studio next week and record a few off the floor and see where it goes. We don’t have a definitive plan at this point. Just letting the songs guide us."

Is John5 the guitarist on the new stuff? I assume he is.

This is just awful, it's no way to treat one of the founding members of the band.  Mick should get whatever is equal and fair, 25% sounds right to me.  As far back as these guys go it should be about loyalty, reminds me of the way KISS did Ace and Peter.  I hate it when bands let the business end get in the way of what really matters.

As for the live performances if they can't play the songs anymore they shouldn't, I know I wouldn't it's cheating the fans.  

Kiss were smart, they had Ace and Peter sign over all their shit to them.

motley recording with John5 is likely partly to help their case in the future.
The sooner they have new material with a new member, the sooner it's crystal clear that Mick is out in every way.

2 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Kiss were smart, they had Ace and Peter sign over all their shit to them.

motley recording with John5 is likely partly to help their case in the future.
The sooner they have new material with a new member, the sooner it's crystal clear that Mick is out in every way.

Whether Mick is in or out, that does not mean they can take away his share of the band ownership, if that is indeed the deal.

Surprised Nikki has not somehow managed to get full ownership by now, but I do not think Mick would be taking legal action if he did not have a stake in the ownership of the band.