Enuff Z'Nuff - Finer than sin

Captain Howdy

Not heard anything about this anywhere but its shown up on Amazon UK and checked the Frontiers site and it's on there too.

Comes out 11/11/2022

ENUFF-Z-NUFF-finer-than-sin.jpg

Frontiers Music Srl is pleased to announce the upcoming release of the latest album from Enuff Z’nuff, "Finer Than Sin". Now fronted by bass player and vocalist Chip Z’nuff for their last three studio albums, including The Beatles' covers album "Enuff Z'Nuff's Hardrock Nite", the band are still delivering the band’s patented power pop melded with hard rock tunes. Founding member Chip Z’nuff is once again joined by long-running members Tory Stoffregen (guitars), Tony Fennell (guitars), and Daniel Benjamin Hill (drums). “Finer Than Sin” showcases the musical stylings that have kept the banda loyal fanbase since the ‘80s, staying true to their rock 'n roll roots. "Finer Than Sin'' is the band's 17th studio album overall. Originally formed in 1984 in Chicago, IL, the band received their big break in 1989 when they signed to Atco/Atlantic Records. Founding members, Chip Z'Nuff and Donnie Vie were joined by guitarist Derek Frigo and drummer Vikki Foxx and they commenced work on their major label debut. The self-titled album was a monster hit and spawned two evergreen singles, “New Thing” and “Fly High Michelle”. Both received constant airplay on radio and heavy rotation on MTV, spending over 60 weeks in the Top 10. 1991 saw the band release their sophomore album, “Strength”. The album had more of a hard rock overtone and sustained the success achieved on the first album. The band made high profile television and radio appearances on the likes of David Letterman and Howard Stern and were featured in Rolling Stone’s Hot Issue as ‘The Next Big Thing'. The band soldiered on during the new musical climates of the ‘90s and '00s and went on to release over a dozen more studio records.

Tracklisting:
1. Sound Check
2. Catastrophe
3. Steal The Light
4. Lost And Out Of Control
5. Intoxicated
6. Hurricane
7. Trampoline
8. Temporarily Disconnected
9. God Save The Queen
10. Reprise

Line-Up:
Chip Z’nuff - Bass
Tory Stoffregen - Guitars
Tony Fennell - Guitars

Dan Hill - Drums

Edited by Captain Howdy

• 2 weeks later...

It's like someone took the first Enuff Z'Nuff album, gave it to a 4 year old to draw on with crayons and snot, then posted it to a zoo and got a chimp to shit on it before finally microwaving it and then playing it at Guantanamo to torture Iraquis. 

I'm not a fan.

• Haha 1

I liked their first 2 albums and they have always had a bit of a 2nd rate Cheap Trick sound going on. Unfortunately for them, Cheap Trick still sound brilliant and produce quality albums and going by this, they don't

• Like 1

On 10/6/2022 at 6:03 AM, Jez said:

I liked their first 2 albums and they have always had a bit of a 2nd rate Cheap Trick sound going on. Unfortunately for them, Cheap Trick still sound brilliant and produce quality albums and going by this, they don't

You don't like their third album, 'Animals with human intelligence?' Some of my favourite EZN songs are on 'Strength' but overall I find the third album much better and far more consistent. Personally. :)

Anyway... didn't they just release some abomination either earlier this year or late last year? They should take more time off between albums. A decade or so, perhaps?

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, Geoff said:

You don't like their third album, 'Animals with human intelligence?' Some of my favourite EZN songs are on 'Strength' but overall I find the third album much better and far more consistent. Personally. :)

Anyway... didn't they just release some abomination either earlier this year or late last year? They should take more time off between albums. A decade or so, perhaps?

'Animals...' is fine...just prefer the first 2

• 1 month later...

This one arrived Friday, and I gotta say, after a coupla spins, it's actually pretty decent. Waaaaaaaay better than the last few releases. Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the band in general. :tumbsup:

4 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

This one arrived Friday, and I gotta say, after a coupla spins, it's actually pretty decent. Waaaaaaaay better than the last few releases. Definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of the band in general. :tumbsup:

I thought Diamond boy was ok, and actually loved the title track, but Brainwashed generation while not bad just didn't do much for me. Still need to pick this and the Beatles covers album up, but Frontiers CDs are just too pricey a lot of the time. (all of their recent albums have been between £14 - £15 on Amazon)

Unless it is an essential purchase, I will wait to see if I can get a used copy cheaper. (I did the same with Brainwashed and got it half the price a few months later).

• Like 1

Last EZN album I got was Dissonance which gave me 5 keepers, which is ok.
Last Donnie Vie I got was Beautiful Things, which not only gave me 9 keepers, but all of them probably better than EZN

But I'll give the new one a go, happy to hear it without comparing to old stuff.

I still think it's quite poor, but I must admit I also thought it was a bit better than expected. 'Intoxicated' is actually a pretty cool song, and there's a few others on here that are decent songs, BUT.

They need an actual lead singer. Of course it'd be ideal if that was Vie... but someone who can actually sing would be a decent start too. To me, the vocals sound awful, and the way they're hidden in the mix too, leaves me thinking that the album is produced in a manner that tries to cover how weak the vocals are. And for me, that's another issue, which kind of goes hand in hand with the first one... the mix/production is poor. 

It's probably the first glimpse of decent song writing I recall hearing from the band for a while, but they really need an actual vocalist in my honest opinion. 

On 11/17/2022 at 12:11 PM, CureTheSane said:

Last Donnie Vie I got was Beautiful Things, which not only gave me 9 keepers, but all of them probably better than EZN

Have to say as someone who is a big fan of EZN and Donnie, I have found both of them have been up and down with their output since their split, but Beautiful things is without a doubt the best thing either has done in years. Loved that album from start to finish. And I dont just say that because I am on the front cover :lol:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• It seems the song/album game virus has infected this thread. I don't know what the fuck is going on.
    • I just found out about Shotgun Mistress great group.
    • Vain: ‘Disintegrate Together’ (May 1, 2024) https://sleazeroxx.com/vain-to-release-new-studio-album-disintegrate-together-on-may-1st/     I didn't want to put someone else's website up here but I wanted you to see this because if you want the CD it says theres only gonna be 200? Ya why bother for 200 but thats what it say's so I thought you would want to know. Your in the USA with me so you got a good shot a getting one. I think it may be just 200 LP's vinyl ..... 
    • I just ordered, Shotgun Mistress – [2021] Shotgun Mistress & Pre-ordered Shotgun Mistress - [2024] Kings Of The Revolution. I just found out about these guys great stuff can't believe I had never heard of ....
    • Man, I really miss places like this! I could spend hours in them just looking at all the stuff. You’re a lucky man to live near there.
    • New album out June 28. Not my style per se, but well executed IMO.  
    • "Still in Love" and "Sweet Melody" by Lancia    
    • I posted about this record store (well, CD store really... it has a fair amount of vinyl, but the focus is CDs) 2 years ago. I go there about once a year, and every single time I do I keep kicking myself to go there more often. Not only for the sheer enjoyment of being able to shop the music genres we love and view all these releases in hand, but because it's so damned overwhelming. There's never time to go through things at leisure, pulling out boxes under racks to rummage, because even flying through things and NOT exploring new artists, it's still 3-4 hours to go through the alphabet... let alone stopping and using their listening station (they'll let you listen to used/opened material, not still sealed merch). It's only an hour and a half drive for me each way, so there's really ZERO excuse for me not going over there more frequently. This time I remembered to take a bunch of pictures, pulling out releases from artists we enjoy just to show what they had in stock... a lot of material you'll never see at any mainstream store (even if there is any that carry CDs anymore). Sure, the prices are more expensive than what you'll pay at Amazon and other online stores, but they're not as bad as you would think, and there are bargains to be had amongst the used material when it comes to OOP discs. And to be fair, being able to view all this stuff in-hand is worth it IMO. (Although every now and then you'll see an OOP disc that is WAAAAAAAY overpriced, but at least they have the odd and unusual.) They have one of those old-school "buyer club" stamp cards, with 20 spaces. One stamp per disc purchased. Every other stamp you get a dollar off, and when you fill a card you get $16.99 off your purchase and then you get a new card. On your birthday, you get $1 off every CD and that's on top of the buyer club card discounts. First the pics from when I was going through the aisles, starting with some general pics. Every single artist has its own title card, so look at the variety and depth of the artists. Also, look at the overstock in boxes underneath all the racks! That's the shit I never have time to go through (except when there's a specific artist I'm focusing in on). You've got CDs in the racks, then ringing the entire room is a shelf of box sets and limited editions, then above that VHS tapes, and above that vintage audio equipment. Sections for DVDs and blu-rays (not just music, but movies as well, including a small section of 4K and 3D titles). There's a smaller upper room level that is nothing but vinyl. If you're going to go, plan at least a full day, not just a quick drive-by. They're open from 11AM - 7PM Eastern Time.     Expensive at $249.99, but how many places have a still-sealed copy of the Vanden Plas Epic Works box set???     And now the stuff I picked up this trip. Most is completist fodder. There are a few artists where I literally want an example of every single pressing, even if I already have other label/year/country versions... call me OCD.               I picked up this one for trade/resale even though I already have it, as it is the LOOOONG out of print original fan club edition.     Hmmm... didn't know there was a solo effort, and it seems to be thematically related to the Threshold album "Legend of the Shires".       More OCD completist fodder. I didn't know that Avalon Records (Japan) licensed releases for South Korea.         Live albums aren't normally my thing, but this appears to be way out of print, and for $10 why not?   A few OOP releases for my multichannel audio collection       I'll be posting more about these once I get my shit together, but I'm WAAAAAAAAAY fucking late to the game when it comes to the Jethro Tull 40th anniversary CD + DVD special editions. They only reason I knew about them at all is that I saw a blurb about the 40th anniversary edition of "Broadsword and the Beast", which is my alltime favorite JT album, the first one I ever heard, and I love the album cover... which led me down the rabbithole of all these anniversary editions and their multichannel mixes. Unfortunately a few of them are now OOP and insanely in the $150-300 range. I ordered all of the ones that were still in print (or that had been reprinted), but there were still 4 that I needed... and they had one of them.   And lastly, the most expensive purchase of the day, going back to previous box set discussions, this was one that wasn't on my radar at the time it came out. Based upon eBay listings, it's now a tough find... and they had one still sealed. No, it's not the Amazon exclusive that was signed by Biff Byford, but autographs aren't important enough for me to spend the $500-$1,000 that the signed version now brings. This one will do nicely at a fraction of the cost... a huge and hefty tome (literally).   So when all was said and done, a great (and expensive!) shopping day, but a place I wholeheartedly recommend visiting should you find yourself out here in flyover country. JL Records 380 Brown St West Lafayette, IN 47906 https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100041894265953
    • What's this one mate? A guess at the previous riddle or a new one?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.