Is Nickelback a shit band?

auslander

I have read a few articles discussing whether Nickelback are actually shit or not. It seems there is some contention that they were victims of original memes, that everyone just thought they were shit because everyone online was saying they were shit. But they might not be shit. I dunno. What do folks here think? Nickelback- shit or not?

For me, Nickelback has been one of those bands I find myself enjoying some songs from but at the same time were never a band I overly got into or bought their CD's.

As I scan my main spotify playlist, I have about 10-12 songs from them in it.  They tend to get a bit samey for me if I listen too much to them but they're fine for me in moderation.      

• Like 1

I'm not a mad fan - I do like plenty of their tunes... but either way, they are definitely not a shit band. I think they're quite a good band, actually. Musically, there is some beefy gear on their albums. 

I think the lead singer's image, his voice and a string of pretty sappy ballads (many of which I actually really like) probably make them an attractive target for people seeking to pick on a band for no really substantial reason. 

• Like 1

Does shit now equate to being smart and making a ton of money by playing the sort of music that people like? I think it is more about envy/jealousy than anything else.....personally I'm not much of a fan of the band and don't own any of their cds as I find them mostly boring ...although I like their latest single...

I saw them supporting Bon Jovi in 2006 and thought they were pretty good live.

I bought Silver Side Up in 2001 when I was still stranded in the wilderness with no Internet and before the resurgence of HH styled bands 

But none since 

Not shit, quite good actually. 

I remember growing up, it was RARE that you'd hear someone trashing groups like The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, U2, The Police, etc.... because, well... it made you seem foolish. If you don't like a band, fine, but saying they suck, or are shit when they've sold millions of albums and sold out concert tours world wide makes you sound like a complete asshat.

Enter the late 90s and the explosion of the internet, and every moron who thought it made them cool to trash bands like Nickelback, Metallica, etc came out of the woodwork, and it's just gotten worse since. 

This is literally what I see in my mind every time I read someone trashing a highly successful band...

sucks.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some great albums, especially 'Silver Side Up', 'Dark Horse' and 'Feed The Machine' and lots of good songs on most of the others...Yep..I like them

Not my kettle of fish - I find they sound a bit "samey" but that's not a crime - I have the same deal with Black Stone Cherry. Just don't do much for me - I think the over familiarity of "Rockstar", "Hero" and "Photograph" played against them in certain quarters. 

• My Little Pony

I have never loved them, but have also never truly hated them; though I will admit they have always been fun to "hate." I'll def still jump on the bandwagon, and throw shade in their direction. But I'm fairly indifferent towards them. I do wanna know why people do hate them. Where did all this vitriol come from? What did they ever do to incur the wrath of so many? I think one of the factors for folks in my hometown is that they're kinda from here--well, at least Chad Kroeger has a house here, but I don't know if he lives here year round--so they might be embarrassed by that. I dunno. I really wanna know why they're so hated. 

• Like 1

Not a bad band at all and their production on the albums are fantastic

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Who doesn't like this?

That's a beauty, but this is probably my favourite of all their tunes-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony
30 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

I always thought it was pronounced "Krowger".

I was wrong.

Yeah, but you Aussies don't pronounce anything correctly, so that's par for the course.