Gateway Drug to an 80s Metal Junkie

auslander

Can you remember back when you were a kid and those first songs you heard and loved in our style of music that led to your current obsession? 

For me it was when Def Leppard "Love Bites", Whitesnake "Is this Love" and GNR "Sweet Child O Mine" were all over the radio and music TV. So I would have been 11 and it was 1987, and they got me hooked.

• 2023 Gold Donors

For me, I'd have to go back to the 70s.

Very early memories of Suzi Quatro, AC/DC and of course, KISS.

Joan Jett's "I Love Rock and Roll" from '81 had a big impact on me at 9.

I've posted it before, but this track by Roger Glover featuring RJD from '74 was played every morning on Aussie TV when I was 3,4,5.

It was definitely a gateway to Ronnie. His voice was imprinted onto my brain at an early age.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

One of my older sisters had Def Leppard -On Through The Night , I liked what I heard and spun it all the time...this wasnt long before High 'n Dry arrived so '81...that was me...and boy was I in for a treat in the coming years :) shortly before hearing DL I was a mad Adam & The Ants fan...still love KOTWF  :)

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
9 hours ago, Darkstone said:

For me, I'd have to go back to the 70s.

Very early memories of Suzi Quatro, AC/DC and of course, KISS.

Joan Jett's "I Love Rock and Roll" from '81 had a big impact on me at 9.

I've posted it before, but this track by Roger Glover featuring RJD from '74 was played every morning on Aussie TV when I was 3,4,5.

It was definitely a gateway to Ronnie. His voice was imprinted onto my brain at an early age.

I wish I could have grown up watching this. Heh. 

8 hours ago, lettard said:

One of my older sisters had Def Leppard -On Through The Night , I liked what I heard and spun it all the time...this wasnt long before High 'n Dry arrived so '81...that was me...and boy was I in for a treat in the coming years :) shortly before hearing DL I was a mad Adam & The Ants fan...still love KOTWF  :)

Using the African tribal beats really set Adam Ant apart.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lettard said:

adam ant 80s GIF

• Like 1

11 hours ago, auslander said:

Using the African tribal beats really set Adam Ant apart.

For sure...thats what grabbed me...I'd heard Dirk Wears White Sox... after buying my first single ever "Car Trouble"(I was 7)  :) but Kings Of The Wild Frontier just so good,that change of style,although Dirk still had a few tasty drum beats for its time...jeez i'm getting old :P

Edited by lettard

12 hours ago, lettard said:

For sure...thats what grabbed me...I'd heard Dirk Wears White Sox... after buying my first single ever "Car Trouble"(I was 7)  :) but Kings Of The Wild Frontier just so good,that change of style,although Dirk still had a few tasty drum beats for its time...jeez i'm getting old :P

It wasn't their second album , they played duel drums. Also Marco , the guitarist on the album just join . " Dirk " had Adam playing guitar.

Tap, Tap.

Had an Uncle who LOVED the Beatles, but also had some KISS albums(Alive 1&2)My first experience in Rock. My Mom loves the Motown stuff, so big influences in my pre teen years. Listened to some Pop stuff(Billy Joel etc) THEN came 1983, and on the radio blasting from a friends boombox was nun other than Def Leppard's Photograph I was hooked and never looked back!!!

• Like 2

I had access to dad's albums which spanned The Carpenters to The Beatles, Elvis, Kenny Rogers, Bread, Del Shannon, the Stones, ABBA and so on.... in 1983, during "free time" at school (4th grade), a classmate brought in an album with an ugly metal mask on the front and started on Slick Black Cadillac..... the nun from across the hall came in and immediately removed the record, but it was too late. I spent my saved allowance on that cassette and it was quickly followed by Twisted Sister - Stay Hungry and then Motley Crue - Shout At The Devil...

• Like 2

I had already listened to and had singles or albums by the likes of Bon Jovi, Europe, Status Quo, Zodiac Mindwarp, Kiss, Queen, Billy Idol and a few others, but they were all just part of the fact I liked things that were in the pop charts at the time.

But the two songs that completely turned me onto the whole glam/hair metal/hard rock scene and later trad metal/thrash/funk rock/etc, were first Every rose has it's thorn and then Paradise city. Went out and bought both albums the same day, and from there stuff like Poison by Alice Cooper, Love in an elevator by Aerosmith all starting to hit the charts I was diving into bands I had never even heard before buying their albums or singles. Wasn't long before I was listening to Warrant, Motley, Ratt, Twisted Sister, LA Guns, Cinderella, EZN, Danger Danger, Lita, Vixen, WASP etc etc etc

• Like 1