Greatest Greatest Hits

I know in the playlist era people hate "best of" albums nowadays, but up until say 2010, these were often legitimate ways bands could release career-compiling tracks or introduce newer fans to back catalogues. Some of the albums even became iconic on their own due to unique tracks not found on other albums. 

For instance, Bon Jovi's "Crossroad" was a great encapsulation of their rock years before they got soft. The two original tracks were ok but the hits presented were undeniable.

537760789_images(76).jpeg.c6f14e74ee3b6c5286fa2dd1252fc196.jpeg

Edited by auslander

When done right a best of could be an excellent addition to a catalouge. Take Aerosmith's "Big Ones" for instance. It really captures the era of their second success from 87-93, has a great song from a soundtrack included, plus a few decent exclusive tracks.

589874781_images(79).jpeg.a2075f1694be01bb465398dfcf3f313a.jpeg

Ratt's "Ratt & Roll 81-91" was a brilliant release. Somewhat underrated, if anything, it shows how good this band really were. It also was the only way to get a couple of the rare EP songs for ages. It also has the exclusive Point Break soundtrack song "Nobody Rides for Free".

1405824180_images(80).jpeg.e9a9cdb538463df1378a152dec369b8b.jpeg

• Like 1

• My Little Pony

Earth, Wind & Fire are one of my all-time favourite bands, and the only album I ever owned, for the longest time, was The Essential Earth, Wind & Fire.

Not the genre you were probably hoping to discuss, but it was the first one that came to mind. 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

I had a lot of Mainstream "Greatest Hits" albums.

The Beatles "Red" and "Blue" albums along with The Stone's "Hot Rocks" I and II and "Jump Back" are essentials IMO. 

Jimi Hendrix - The Ultimate Experience is another must have.

Foreigner - The Very Best... and Beyond is a good one with 3 Killer new (at the time) tracks, "Soul Doctor", "Prisoner of Love" and "With Heaven on our side".

W.A.S.P. - First Blood Last Cuts was a good one. The "L.O.V.E. Machine" and "I Wanna Be Somebody" remixes are Great.

Motley Crue committed a Mortal Sin with "Decade of Decadence" by inexplicably choosing a live track for "Kickstart My Heart". Why?

We all had their albums so it was no big deal, just very annoying. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I had a lot of Mainstream "Greatest Hits" albums.

The Beatles "Red" and "Blue" albums along with The Stone's "Hot Rocks" I and II and "Jump Back" are essentials IMO. 

Jimi Hendrix - The Ultimate Experience is another must have.

Foreigner - The Very Best... and Beyond is a good one with 3 Killer new (at the time) tracks, "Soul Doctor", "Prisoner of Love" and "With Heaven on our side".

W.A.S.P. - First Blood Last Cuts was a good one. The "L.O.V.E. Machine" and "I Wanna Be Somebody" remixes are Great.

Motley Crue committed a Mortal Sin with "Decade of Decadence" by inexplicably choosing a live track for "Kickstart My Heart". Why?

We all had their albums so it was no big deal, just very annoying. 

there are a few which have become known as albums in their own right like the 2 I mentioned earlier plus the likes of -

Foreigner - Records

Journey - Greatest Hits

REO - Decade

The only greatest hits releases that ever interested me were from bands that I don't have many or any physical cds by.....and that is usually older bands from the 70s...the first that comes to mind is....

S̲t̲eve M̲i̲ller B̲and - Greatest Hits 1974-78

Edited by Dead Planet

15 hours ago, Darkstone said:

"Double Platinum" and "Smashes, Thrashes & Hits" by KISS are also iconic. 

Are these Austrian releases only ?

Search for KISS in front of Austrian name and Aussie flag.

18 hours ago, Darkstone said:

"Double Platinum" and "Smashes, Thrashes & Hits" by KISS are also iconic. 

I've often wondered if the remixes on "Smashes etc." are worth the purchase? Do they make them more 80s sounding?

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, auslander said:

Do they make them more 80s sounding?

Not particularly, from memory. 

The inclusion of some of their later 80s stuff, "Tears Are Falling", etc, just make it a good all rounder.

• 3 weeks later...

Aerosmith - Greatest Hits (1980)

Bad Company - 10 From 6

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Soul For Rock n Roll

The Eagles - Greatest Hits

Foreigner - Records

Hall & Oates - Rock n' Soul Part 1

Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Voume I & Volume II

Journey - Greatest Hits

Kiss - Double Platinum

Ratt - Ratt and Roll 8191

------------------------------------------------------

Glancing through  my collection,  these are some of the greatest Greatest Hits collections in my opinion... they've all taken on a life of their own, and are recognized as essential parts of your collection, even if you already own all the songs on them elsewhere (other than bonus tracks of course). Ratt and Roll 8191 is probably my most listened to Greatest Hits disc ever. :banger: 

• Like 1