Stryper: "Rise to the Call" (new single)

For better or worse, it sounds like a Stryper tune. As a longtime fan, I think it's a solid track, but certainly not their best. And thank God it's a lyric video because without it, I'd probably have no idea what Sweet was saying/singing half the time. :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

The search feature is your friend:

No, the search feature clearly is NOT my friend, because I checked before posting and Whiplash's post didn't show up. Oh well, doesn't hurt to have the video in the Christian section too.

20 minutes ago, auslander said:

Robert Sweet's drumming is still fantastic. If anything he is underrated. Love this track.

Just saw them back in May at House of Blues in Orlando on the "Calling on You" tour and he really is a beast live. I can't say I "love" this track, but it's a solid slab of metal and won't make me reach for the skip button.

13 hours ago, metalmaniac777 said:

No, the search feature clearly is NOT my friend, because I checked before posting and Whiplash's post didn't show up. Oh well, doesn't hurt to have the video in the Christian section too.

Funny. I searched for it and it popped right up. 

3 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Funny. I searched for it and it popped right up. 

I've been on this forum for 20 years. Not the first time I've had a search function glitch. No big deal. I still maintain having a Stryper video posted in the "Video" section and the "Christian Rock/Metal" section doesn't hurt anything.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, metalmaniac777 said:

I've been on this forum for 20 years. Not the first time I've had a search function glitch. No big deal. I still maintain having a Stryper video posted in the "Video" section and the "Christian Rock/Metal" section doesn't hurt anything.

Oh I agree. Sometimes I know I posted a thread on somebody and then search my ass off and can't find it.

I feel your pain. Just giving you the business. LOL

• My Little Pony
9 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

jesus this guy can't sing to save his soul.

Can't sing, or can't enunciate? Two different things. 

3 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

You triggered brah?

Nah I'm sure your view that one of the most respected vocalists in the genre "can't sing" is totally legit. 

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Nah I'm sure your view that one of the most respected vocalists in the genre "can't sing" is totally legit. 

I wouldn't say he can't sing. I just think he oversings a lot and his voice can be quite annoying after awhile.

18 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

I wouldn't say he can't sing. I just think he oversings a lot and his voice can be quite annoying after awhile.

:agree:

My original comment was more in jest in relation to the fairytale he believes in.  Quite annoying is a good description though, I sometimes feel his voice is channeling his inner yoda.  It's too bad really because musically the last few Stryper albums have been solid.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Not a huge fan,but respect the talent.I've always thought that the guy has always done a solid job promoting his brand (Stryper) certainly a lot better then a lot of the other Christian metal bands (and yeah I know he doesn't consider Stryper a Christian metal band - but it goes with the territory whether he likes it or not) 

'Barren Cross' and 'Saint'...are a couple bands I still support when active,although neither had anywhere near the success Sweet and Co. had.Great bands nonetheless...

Stryper is a decent band although they have never come close to the greatness of Against The Law imo..... As for his singing he is pretty good....although if you don't like his vocals then so be it...I don't like Steve Perry's vocals but I would never say that he could not sing...;)

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:

Stryper is a decent band although they have never come close to the greatness of Against The Law imo..... As for his singing he is pretty good....although if you don't like his vocals then so be it...I don't like Steve Perry's vocals but I would never say that he could not sing...;)

Fair enoughs. I just gave Fallen a listen today... I can't front. The band's tight. Michael sounds great, even if you can't understand what he's singing. But you fucks don't even believe in what he's singing, so why do you care??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Fair enoughs. I just gave Fallen a listen today... I can't front. The band's tight. Michael sounds great, even if you can't understand what he's singing. But you fucks don't even believe in what he's singing, so why do you care??

Good point. I don't believe in the message behind sleazy lyrics or songs about drinking and drug taking but it doesn't stop me enjoying the music either 😀

2 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Yep I align with atheism or even agnosticism depending on the day...but if you are closemindedly religious then most of the music discussed on this site would be strictly forbidden....I do not judge music by the lyrics alone and I suspect most people on the forum feel the same....

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Good point. I don't believe in the message behind sleazy lyrics or songs about drinking and drug taking but it doesn't stop me enjoying the music either 😀

There are just as many close minded atheists as religious these days. I read plenty of comments on this site and others hating on people or music for expressions of faith. I think people/artists should sing about what they want to sing about. Personally I am put off more by negative lyrics that are anti something (political/protest) or are self loathing/depressive. Fine if people want to be all angry/negative but it's not for me.