Debut album is still their best album

Not talking about the "one and done" artists or "two and dropped", but more those artists that released five or more albums but their debut still remains their best release. 

Slaughter springs to my mind, along with Guns N Roses. 

Can you think of any others?

Bon Jovi

Dio

Harem Scarem

Tyketto

Dan Reed Network

Reckless Love

Danger Danger

Vain

Marillion

Asia

FM

Thunder

GnR

Dare

House of Lords

Lillian Axe

Firehouse

Fish

love/Hate

Slaughter

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Vain

One of my first thoughts too. 

Some others-

Bon Jovi

Poison

Hard question, though, as both arguable, as would Slaughter be arguable with 'Fear No Evil.' For the record, I'd give the nod to the debut too, but it's close. 

I'll do this for fun-

Bon Jovi - agree

Harem Scarem - agree

Tyketto - agree wholeheartedly

Reckless Love - agree

Danger Danger - too close to call for me, but definitely possible

Vain - agree

FM - I prefer 'Tough it out,' personally

GnR - agree, obviously

Dare - I prefer 'Blood from stone'

House of Lords - agree

Lillian Axe - I prefer 'Love and war'

Firehouse - agree

Love/Hate - agree as there's no competition afterwards, lol

Slaughter - agree, but 'Fear no evil' a very valid contender. 

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

Crashdiet 

imo still their best 

'Generation Wild' for me. 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

A lot of the ones I would choose have been mentioned.

I'll add,

Hardline, of course 

Giant

Little Caeser 

Jackyl

Edited by Darkstone

24 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I'll do this for fun-

Bon Jovi - agree

Harem Scarem - agree

Tyketto - agree wholeheartedly

Reckless Love - agree

Danger Danger - too close to call for me, but definitely possible

Vain - agree

FM - I prefer 'Tough it out,' personally

GnR - agree, obviously

Dare - I prefer 'Blood from stone'

House of Lords - agree

Lillian Axe - I prefer 'Love and war'

Firehouse - agree

Love/Hate - agree as there's no competition afterwards, lol

Slaughter - agree, but 'Fear no evil' a very valid contender. 

oh, I was thinking Love & War was the debut lol. My bad 🤣🤣

Surprised about Dare, I like Blood, but the debut is an AOR classic 

20 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

A lot of the one's I would choose have been mentioned.

I'll add,

Hardline, of course 

Giant

Little Caeser 

Jackyl

Hardline 💯

Giant too close, I love that 2nd album 

3 hours ago, Darkstone said:

A lot of the ones I would choose have been mentioned.

I'll add,

Hardline, of course 

Giant

Little Caeser 

Jackyl

I think I'd agree with those, but as noted Giant is a coin flip.

2 hours ago, Glen said:

oh, I was thinking Love & War was the debut lol. My bad 🤣🤣

Surprised about Dare, I like Blood, but the debut is an AOR classic 

I really love both albums, but overall for me, it has to be 'Blood' by a small margin.

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Bang Tango 

Agree

2 hours ago, Glen said:

Nelson

WET

Agree again

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

"Talisman". 

Good call, defo agree with this. Thought it was their best by far, personally.

What about-

Takara (only just)

Ten

Unruly Child

Von Groove

4 hours ago, Glen said:

Bon Jovi 

Dio

Dan Reed Network 

Reckless Love 

Dare 

House of Lords 

Lillian Axe 

Opinions vary but some of these bands have several top albums....

Bon Jovi - Slippery for me

Dio - Dream Evil for me

Dan Reed Network - Slam for me

Reckless Love - Animal attraction for me

Dare - Blood From Stone for me...but a coin toss

House of Lords - Demons Down for me

Lillian Axe - Love & War for me

Edited by lettard

9 hours ago, Glen said:

Bon Jovi

Dio

Harem Scarem

Tyketto

Dan Reed Network

Reckless Love

Danger Danger

Vain

Marillion

Asia

FM

Thunder

GnR

Dare

House of Lords

Lillian Axe

Firehouse

Fish

love/Hate

Slaughter

Let's see...

BJ-agree.

Dio-for me Sacred heart or Dream evil.

HS-yep.

Tyketto-yas.

Dan Reed Network-Slam for me.

Reckless Love-definitely.

D2-hmm I guess yes,but I love screw it too.

Vain-all the way.

Marillion-hmm possibly but I'm not sure.

Asia-for me Astra is best John Wettons album,and with John Payne either Aqua or Aura.

FM-Tough it out for me,but close call. Indiscreet is more AOR,Tough it out melodic rock.

Thunder-yeah

GNR-yes as a full album,but some individual illusion songs may be better.

Dare-yes,I love second album too,but Out of the silence sounds timeless,one of the greatest AOR albums.

HOL-yes.

Lillian axe-Poetic justice for me! True believer,Dying to live,See you someday,Living in the grey,Innocence,so many killer tunes.

Firehouse-yes no doubt.

Love/hate-yup yup.

Slaughter-yap yap.

Guns N Roses is the only one that works for me.

Bon Jovi (These Days)

Dio n/a

Harem Scarem (United)

Tyketto (Strength In Numbers)

Dan Reed Network n/a

Reckless Love (Animal Attraction)

Danger Danger (Cockroach)

Vain n/a

Marillion n/a

Asia n/a

FM  n/a

Thunder (Behind Closed Doors)

GnR (agree)

Dare n/a

House of Lords n/a

Lillian Axe n/a

Firehouse n/a

Fish n/a 

love/Hate n/a 

Slaughter (Fear No Evil)

Boston n/a

Poison (Flesh & Blood)

W.e.t. (Retransmission)

Giant n/a

I will add 

Heartland

Avantasia

Drive she said

Meat loaf

XYZ

Skid row

Van Halen (both debuts with Roth and Hagar)

Mitch Malloy

Lionsheart

Babylon AD

Faster pussycat

WASP

Little angels

Diamond Dave

Work Of Art

Zappacosta

Mecca

PM-Peter Mayer

Palace

Chris Eaton

Cutting crew

Tuff

Edited by DorrianWolf

Always with the Vain. smh. Terrible band no matter how you slice it. My opinion so all you Davey Vain chode chokers just enjoy.

Some other fair assessments however the DRN and their self titled album, which was their 2nd btw, sure the first was an EP, but Slam and The Heat are both bangers.

I'd say Motley's first Too Fat For Love is their most complete, no skip album. Sure others followed that may have been more successful, but were hit and miss.

One that really fits this bill is Pearl Jams 10. Perfect record, cuz really it was Mother Love Bones 3rd record with Vedder singing, but they never had another equal.

Metal Church's first set the bar way to high and sure they made some great music after, but the self titled 1984 record on Ground Zero Records with BUG GUNS is fucking perfect through and through.