Erik Gronwall is now the new singer of Skid Row

Captain Howdy

2 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Agree.  Basically sounds like edgy H.E.A.T to me which is just fine.

That said though, have to remember most people here in the USA have no idea who H.E.A.T is so it's new sounding to them.

I think the majority of people in the USA; that are actually interested in new Skid Row music, will be the few H.E.A.T fans in the USA. There might be another 5 or so who are interested outside of the fact Erik joined the band.

Edited by tobi is an animal

• 1 month later...
I’m not expecting any songs off this new one to make my top 20 Skid Row songs; but I do think with Erik involved we’ll get the first good songs released under the Skid Row moniker since 1998. 

1.  Wasted Time
2.  Mudkicker
3.  Livin’ On A Chain Gang
4.  Monkey Business
5.  Beat Yourself Blind
6.  Into Another
7.  Face Against My Soul
8.  My Enemy
9   I Remember You  
10.Rattlesnake Shake
11.Midnight/Tornado
12.The Threat
13.Firesign 
14.Get The Fuck Out
15.Big Guns
16.Here I Am
17.Riot Act
18.Breakin’ Down
19.Piece Of Me
20.Slave To The Grind
Edited by tobi is an animal

I've skimmed through the first 6 or 7 songs. And I just don't feel it. The songs are just pretty shit. Erik sounds great. The music is very vintage Skid Row but the songs themselves are just not good. Soon as I get to the chorus, it's skip. 

On 9/10/2022 at 1:34 PM, AlphaMale said:

I've skimmed through the first 6 or 7 songs. And I just don't feel it. The songs are just pretty shit. Erik sounds great. The music is very vintage Skid Row but the songs themselves are just not good. Soon as I get to the chorus, it's skip. 

Well that sucks!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Anybody else listen to this yet?

just the singles. Where are you hearing it?

This feels like a record Sebastian Bach should be singing. The songs just seem to be about him. The Gang's All Here would've fit with Bach. Time Bomb seems to be a song about Baz's temper? Am I rerading too much into this?

Like I said earlier, the songs just aren't that great. Erik sounds awesome. The music is pretty vintage Skid Row but there's still something missing/off.

1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

This feels like a record Sebastian Bach should be singing. The songs just seem to be about him. The Gang's All Here would've fit with Bach. Time Bomb seems to be a song about Baz's temper? Am I rerading too much into this?

Like I said earlier, the songs just aren't that great. Erik sounds awesome. The music is pretty vintage Skid Row but there's still something missing/off.

Have heard the album and it sounds great to me.  And not bothered at all by tick...tick..boom. I've found it catchy and stuck in my head.

Maybe I just was never overly into Skid Row so I'm not that bothered by all that happened with Bach.  They were on a downhill trend with him anyways if you ask me as Subhuman Race was putrid.   And for my tastes, this new album, while not better than the debut, is way better than Slave to the Grind for me .  I have 4 songs from Slave in my main playlist (Monkey Business, Quicksand Jesus, Darkened Room and Wasted Time) and I'll have more than that from this album.

Overall, I feel like if you have been "meh" on the singles, you'll feel the same about the album.  Personally, I've dug the singles and dig the album.

It'll likely be in my top 3 this year.

Edited by tts42572

7 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Have heard the album and it sounds great to me.  And not bothered at all by tick...tick..boom. I've found it catchy and stuck in my head.

Maybe I just was never overly into Skid Row so I'm not that bothered by all that happened with Bach.  They were on a downhill trend with him anyways if you ask me as Subhuman Race was putrid.   And for my tastes, this new album, while not better than the debut, is way better than Slave to the Grind for me .  I have 4 songs from Slave in my main playlist (Monkey Business, Quicksand Jesus, Darkened Room and Wasted Time) and I'll have more than that from this album.

Overall, I feel like if you have been "meh" on the singles, you'll feel the same about the album.  Personally, I've dug the singles and dig the album.

It'll likely be in my top 3 this year.

I can't actually remember the last time I played the first 2 Skid Row albums - stuff like 18 & life and youth gone wild bore me now.

Was cool when I was 19 but not now 😒

I'm with Alpha to a degree, not really feelin the new songs but I'll give the album a fair listen when it's out - imo Erik should have stuck with HEAT - his talent is kinda wasted in Skid Row and the old fans will never truly embrace him imo. 

But I'm happy for him if he makes a few bucks from the gigs 

I've given it a cheeky listen and I have to say I'm with Alpha. I appreciate that they have gone for a pretty recognisable Skid Row sound... I dig that. But as with every single one of their peers, without exception, their song writing is just not what it was in 1991 ('Slave to the Grind' era seems to be the one they're aiming for). 

It's all fine and Eric sounds great, but the band don't have the bite they used to have and like I said, songs just aren't as strong. 

In the world of ratings this album sounds like something where you'd rate all the songs about a 7/10 for a solid 70% score... but then none of the songs would make your yearly playlist as they're all just "solid" and nothing more.

As for Gronwall and HEAT and so on... it's weird. I'm glad he gets to live out a dream in a way he'd never have imagined in his wildest dreams, and I do think he is far better suited, musically, to what he had going on with HEAT, but I guess times move on. I like Leckremo and think he could still do great things with HEAT if they go back to their roots a little more, and who knows? If Gronwall stays with Skid Row and has significant input into the next album, I think they could be great too. This was already written for him so lacks what he brought to HEAT in terms of song-writing, so I'd like to hear a genuinely collaborative Skid Row album to hear them at their best. 

7 hours ago, Glen said:

I can't actually remember the last time I played the first 2 Skid Row albums - stuff like 18 & life and youth gone wild bore me now.

Was cool when I was 19 but not now 😒

I'm with Alpha to a degree, not really feelin the new songs but I'll give the album a fair listen when it's out - imo Erik should have stuck with HEAT - his talent is kinda wasted in Skid Row and the old fans will never truly embrace him imo. 

But I'm happy for him if he makes a few bucks from the gigs 

I think for us, Erik should've stuck with H.E.A.T as there's no doubt H.E.A.T was phenomenal with him and they made outstanding music with him.  There's no question in my mind H.E.A.T has a better catalog of music than Skid Row.  But it's not a more familiar catalog of music....

Erik had probably reached as high as he was ever going to reach with H.E.A.T.  He had to feel like he was kind of banging his head against the wall and not really getting anywhere.

On the other hand, with Skid Row he's now getting the shot to tour the USA and the world and play in front of some large crowds.  I don't know where things go with Skid Row but the ceiling definitely feels higher for him with them.  I mean, I could realistically see a USA tour with something like Def Leppard, Tesla and Skid Row happening sometime in the future....Or something to that effect.  On the flip side, a Def Leppard, Tesla and H.E.A.T tour was never going to happen here.

Like you say, he's probably definitely getting more exposure now and making a few more bucks lol.

I saw them a couple weeks ago with Warrant and Quiet Riot and the place was jam packed.  There was definitely a buzz going in the crowd during and after the show with Erik's performance.  He was just fantastic and it seemed like the whole place was into it.   I kind of see the situation as a cool mix of old and new although I'm definitely more interested in the new songs than the old ones and I'm probably the reverse of a lot of people in the crowd.  

Anyways, as for the new album I'd bet you'll definitely be out on it if you feel meh on the singles as the album is just more of the same.  I've loved the singles though and just see them as catchy melodic hard rock tunes.  For me the album just rocks and Erik kills it.  And even though I know these songs were written before Erik joined the band, some of them really apply to the situation well....Not Dead Yet, Resurrected, Time Bomb and even October Song which I find kind of a cool, haunting tune about facing mortality.

Yeah, I wish he were still in H.E.A.T and playing stadiums in the USA with them but at least he landed on his feet and is still playing and performing in some capacity in a pretty cool situation for him.

5 hours ago, tts42572 said:

On the other hand, with Skid Row he's now getting the shot to tour the USA and the world and play in front of some large crowds.  I don't know where things go with Skid Row but the ceiling definitely feels higher for him with them.  I mean, I could realistically see a USA tour with something like Def Leppard, Tesla and Skid Row happening sometime in the future....Or something to that effect.  On the flip side, a Def Leppard, Tesla and H.E.A.T tour was never going to happen here.

Haha... Skid Row isn't drawing crowds. They have a hard time filling a 50 to 100 capacity nightclub. 

1 hour ago, AlphaMale said:

Haha... Skid Row isn't drawing crowds. They have a hard time filling a 50 to 100 capacity nightclub. 

Well ...the venue I was at held 2,500 and it was packed pretty full.

I'd agree with you pre-Erik.  Heck, I skipped a show 10 minutes from my house a few years ago when tickets were $20.  Not now though.  

28 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Well ...the venue I was at held 2,500 and it was packed pretty full.

I'd agree with you pre-Erik.  Heck, I skipped a show 10 minutes from my house a few years ago when tickets were $20.  Not now though.  

Last time I saw them with Johnny, I'd say they had maybe 100 people in a large club. It was kinda sad as they kicked ass. This was around the time of the Demolition 1 album.