Erik Gronwall is now the new singer of Skid Row

Captain Howdy

I just hope the new music is good, cos Erik singing tired old Skid Row songs from 30 years ago is a waste of talent imho

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Glen said:

I just hope the new music is good, cos Erik singing tired old Skid Row songs from 30 years ago is a waste of talent imho

I'd agree with that.

I could care less about him singing the back catalog.  Sure, it's nice to hear some of those hits if I'm seeing a show but it's the new music I'm most looking forward to.

It's a shame it took him going to Skid Row to get some recognition.  I mean, I keep seeing and reading stuff about this "new guy" in Skid Row who sounds excellent and has some pipes or whatever.  I just have to laugh knowing we've all known that for the past 10 years ;)

1 minute ago, tts42572 said:

I'd agree with that.

I could care less about him singing the back catalog.  Sure, it's nice to hear some of those hits if I'm seeing a show but it's the new music I'm most looking forward to.

It's a shame it took him going to Skid Row to get some recognition.  I mean, I keep seeing and reading stuff about this "new guy" in Skid Row who sounds excellent and has some pipes or whatever.  I just have to laugh knowing we've all known that for the past 10 years ;)

99% of rock fans live in the past and have no idea that any new music exists after 1990

Just look at classic rock on FB for numerous examples of such dinosaurs

• Like 1

There's at least one bootleg available of a Skid Row show from April if you're interested in hearing how Erik sounds in a live setting with the band.  And, well, he sounds great.  No surprise there.

Like others have said, I'd rather him be in H.E.A.T. or New Horizons or some other project making new music.  But if he's happy and making money, more power to him.

• Like 1

Erik's change of scenery is basically gonna result in two average albums.  His presence in Skid Row will elevate the mediocre material to average; and his absence in H.e.a.t will bring that material down to average. 

Neither the 2 new H.e.a.t songs nor the 1 new Skid Row song are up to the level of the H.e.a.t albums with Erik.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tobi is an animal said:

Erik's change of scenery is basically gonna result in two average albums.  His presence in Skid Row will elevate the mediocre material to average; and his absence in H.e.a.t will bring that material down to average. 

Neither the 2 new H.e.a.t songs nor the 1 new Skid Row song are up to the level of the H.e.a.t albums with Erik.

I'd agree with the second part of that for sure!

I'm not sure about the first part though.  I do agree that Skid Row was terrible and well below average before Erik.  I think they can do better than a run of the mill average album with him though as he's just that damn good.  And while I agree that H.E.A.T with Kenny isn't as good as it was with Erik, I feel like H.E.A.T with Kenny can still be pretty good and better than average. 

We'll see.  I do wish Erik were still in H.E.A.T but I'd much rather have the current situation with Erik in Skid Row and Kenny in H.E.A.T than Erik not doing music at all and H.E.A.T tossing in the towel and giving up after Erik left ;)

• My Little Pony
On 5/5/2022 at 6:26 AM, Glen said:

99% of rock fans live in the past and have no idea that any new music exists after 1990

Your estimate seems a bit low. 

;}

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, Glen said:

This is one of the biggest irritations I have on YouTube. You see these comments all the time, and most recently saw it on one of the recent Scorpions tracks, and that is the annoying as fuck "They don't make music like this anymore".

I always have to point out that there are plenty of artists performing great old school rock or a modern variation of it, but you have to stop being lazy and actually look for it. With the current popularity of social media, YouTube and the likes of Spotify for streaming, it is even easier to find than it has ever been.

I will always say, just go to the Frontiers YouTube channel for starters to see not only a load of new bands, but bands or artists from back in the day putting out new music.

Hell, I come here from time to time and there are a lot of people on this board who have their finger on the pulse more than me, yet I have still discovered bands that nobody else seems to have found out about (whether they appeal to most here is neither here nor there, it's about how we can all find new music if we make an effort).

This whole "they don't make music like this anymore" line is fucked up as these people claim they still wanna listen to this music but then make no effort to seek it out and support the artists. Just imagine how much bigger some of the more popular newer bands like H.E.A.T, Crazy Lixx and Reckless Love could be if these lazy arse moaners made an effort.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

This is one of the biggest irritations I have on YouTube. You see these comments all the time, and most recently saw it on one of the recent Scorpions tracks, and that is the annoying as fuck "They don't make music like this anymore".

I always have to point out that there are plenty of artists performing great old school rock or a modern variation of it, but you have to stop being lazy and actually look for it. With the current popularity of social media, YouTube and the likes of Spotify for streaming, it is even easier to find than it has ever been.

I will always say, just go to the Frontiers YouTube channel for starters to see not only a load of new bands, but bands or artists from back in the day putting out new music.

Hell, I come here from time to time and there are a lot of people on this board who have their finger on the pulse more than me, yet I have still discovered bands that nobody else seems to have found out about (whether they appeal to most here is neither here nor there, it's about how we can all find new music if we make an effort).

This whole "they don't make music like this anymore" line is fucked up as these people claim they still wanna listen to this music but then make no effort to seek it out and support the artists. Just imagine how much bigger some of the more popular newer bands like H.E.A.T, Crazy Lixx and Reckless Love could be if these lazy arse moaners made an effort.

this ^^^^ 💯

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

4-1/2 years ago, I was talking to a musician friend of mine and we got to talking about 80s rock.  I said to him something like, "Man, I wonder if there are any bands still making 80s rock?"  We chatted a bit more and then I went off to Google to find out.  Within a couple minutes, I'd come across a top 10 list that included H.E.A.T's "It's All About Tonight".  "THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!" I said to myself.  Within a couple days, I'd found this message board and the various "Best of XXXX" year posts and lists.  Next thing I knew, I'd discovered DOZENS of bands making new music of the style I like.  AND one of them - Eclipse - even became my favorite band ever.  

You're right.  It's ANNOYING.  Yes, it's not as easy as just leaving the radio on your favorite station and a new song getting injected into the mix every day or two while you're listening.  So what?  The music is still there.  You just gotta TRY a little bit.  Good grief.

Edited by Tabe

On 5/7/2022 at 12:13 AM, tobi is an animal said:

This view sounds similar to the pointless Lee Roth vs Hagar fan battles. It stops people from enjoying new music.

I happened to like Skid Row's last couple EPs. While they are nowhere near STTG, they were defintely headed in the right direction.

It was the God-awful RPM disc that really soured me to them. 

A couple cool tunes from the United World Rebellion Vol. 1 and 2:

5 hours ago, auslander said:

This view sounds similar to the pointless Lee Roth vs Hagar fan battles. It stops people from enjoying new music.

but he's probably right.

neither album will be as good as what a new HEAT album with Erik would have been.

it is a little sad that a talent as good as Erik has had to join a bunch of aging rockers to gain recognition instead of remaining with HEAT and sky rocketing that way.

When I saw HEAT support Skid Row in the UK they blew them away. Pure & simple. I love those 2 early Skid Row albums but the songs sounded so tired and boring after HEATs amazing anthems.

A shame and again I blame the dinosaurs for living in the past and not embracing new bands. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Glen said:

but he's probably right.

neither album will be as good as what a new HEAT album with Erik would have been.

it is a little sad that a talent as good as Erik has had to join a bunch of aging rockers to gain recognition instead of remaining with HEAT and sky rocketing that way.

When I saw HEAT support Skid Row in the UK they blew them away. Pure & simple. I love those 2 early Skid Row albums but the songs sounded so tired and boring after HEATs amazing anthems.

A shame and again I blame the dinosaurs for living in the past and not embracing new bands. 

While I would disagree with the songs from the first two SR albums being tired and boring, I would still rather hear Erik with H.E.A.T. than Skid Row. As someone who never really cared for the band before Erik joined, it's no surprise him leaving was such a disappointment for me, and I am not expecting big things from H.E.A.T. now but will give them a chance. I am more likely to get into new SR because of Erik and I preferred their new single and did not really think much of the new H.E.A.T one. I would never have gone to see SR with any of the post Bach singers, but I would certainly go now they have Erik. And the fact that he can do the old songs justice is also a prime motivator.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

While I would disagree with the songs from the first two SR albums being tired and boring, I would still rather hear Erik with H.E.A.T. than Skid Row. As someone who never really cared for the band before Erik joined, it's no surprise him leaving was such a disappointment for me, and I am not expecting big things from H.E.A.T. now but will give them a chance. I am more likely to get into new SR because of Erik and I preferred their new single and did not really think much of the new H.E.A.T one. I would never have gone to see SR with any of the post Bach singers, but I would certainly go now they have Erik. And the fact that he can do the old songs justice is also a prime motivator.

none of the YT videos of Erik makes me want to rush out to see them. If the new album is awesome it would be tempting 🤔 

17 hours ago, auslander said:

Both the Roth era and the Hagar era of Van Halen were very successful, so I don't think the Roth vs Hagar discussions stopped anyone from enjoying the music.  

Based on any comments I've seen, the majority of the people agree that Erik destroys Kenny vocally; but said people are still going to give the new H.e.a.t  album a chance.  Whether or not they can stop themselves form thinking this song would've been so much better with Erik on vocals is another matter.  Anytime a band changes vocalists you are gonna get a discussion on it, but I think people will make up their on own minds based on the music itself not based on one's opinion.

Edited by tobi is an animal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

tbh I miss him in HEAT.

The song is solid but exactly what you would expect from an aging 80s rock group.

It's a million miles from his best work in HEAT 

Thats pretty good...he even sounds like Bach in the opening line or two...but for me its more HEAT than Skid Row if i'm honest...which isn't a bad thing  :)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, lettard said:

Thats pretty good...he even sounds like Bach in the opening line or two...but for me its more HEAT than Skid Row if i'm honest...which isn't a bad thing  :)

Agree.  Basically sounds like edgy H.E.A.T to me which is just fine.

That said though, have to remember most people here in the USA have no idea who H.E.A.T is so it's new sounding to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lettard said:

really , I thought the exact opposite. Sounds like standard Skid Row to me.