Erik Gronwall is now the new singer of Skid Row

Captain Howdy

I saw HEAT & Vega support Skid Row and ended up leaving half way through the Skid Row set - main reason was the singer was really poor.

They were mainly playing songs off those first 2 albums though so I agree that if the new material is weak he will now be in like a glorified tribute band. I'd go to see them once for nostalgia but beyond that who knows.

Having said that new single hits soon which will be a good barometer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, auslander said:

I turned on the subtitles for that, and strangely, the Swedish words made more sense to me, lol, wtf, zomfg. 

Anyway what to make of this news. It's interesting and unexpected, I'll give it that. I think it's pretty cool, but Skid Row haven't written a decent song since a couple of tunes from 'Thickskin.' Will that change now? I certainly hope so, but Gronwall would have to have a lot of involvement in the writing process for that to happen, I do believe, and as per that recent interview with Sabo, I'm not sure the band is going to be willing to give that to him.

Reading between the lines, it's probably why Harnell left and how sure can we be that Gronwall is happy just being a voice for what he's given without any input, if that's how it continues? Or do the band smarten up and realise that Gronwall can probably offer them a hell of a lot more than they can him, musically speaking?

Oh, and I'm typing this on page two so I can't see page one and I already forget his name, but what the fuck is a ZB Threat, or whatever that was? How was he the singer in this band for 6 or 7 years of whatever it was and I've never ever heard the name before? 

1 minute ago, Geoff said:

I turned on the subtitles for that, and strangely, the Swedish words made more sense to me, lol, wtf, zomfg. 

Anyway what to make of this news. It's interesting and unexpected, I'll give it that. I think it's pretty cool, but Skid Row haven't written a decent song since a couple of tunes from 'Thickskin.' Will that change now? I certainly hope so, but Gronwall would have to have a lot of involvement in the writing process for that to happen, I do believe, and as per that recent interview with Sabo, I'm not sure the band is going to be willing to give that to him.

Reading between the lines, it's probably why Harnell left and how sure can we be that Gronwall is happy just being a voice for what he's given without any input, if that's how it continues? Or do the band smarten up and realise that Gronwall can probably offer them a hell of a lot more than they can him, musically speaking?

Oh, and I'm typing this on page two so I can't see page one and I already forget his name, but what the fuck is a ZB Threat, or whatever that was? How was he the singer in this band for 6 or 7 years of whatever it was and I've never ever heard the name before? 

I think that, at least for me, how much the embrace new music and realize the talent of Erik is going to be key.

In my opinion, Skid Row doesn't have a great catalog of music to rely on as a pure nostalgia band.  I mean, they had a great debut album, then Slave was pretty good.....Then that was about it.  They've got like 3-4 big hits.

Yeah, I know that most that go to see them will be for the nostalgia factor.  And I'd go see them once.  But for them to really take some steps forward, I think they need to put out some kick ass music that gets people talking about them again.  If they could mix some great new songs in with their recognizable songs they could really increase their popularity as anybody who has seen Erik live knows how infectious that guy is.  He could win people over and actually sell their new music IMO.

But if they just toss out some run of the mill crap and are happy remaining an after-thought nostalgia band getting by on a shaky catalog of music with a hired gun singer, then it'll just be a waste of Erik's talent that I wouldn't need to see more than once.

As for not hearing about the previous singer, don't feel bad Geoff.  I couldn't have told you who any of their singers were after Bach lol.  They just fell completely off my radar and have never done anything to get back on it.....until now ;)

9 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

Funnily enough this was just recommended to me on YouTube so had a listen. Kinda reinforces my opinion that the other original guys in Skid Row are just as douchey as they accuse Seb of being. Not once would I say that Seb is not part of the problem, but I will say I think they are all to blame, and in this day and age I am starting to side with Seb more and more.

I think Seb has carved out a pretty decent solo career in the last few years and has done other stuff like stage shows and TV shows, so I do not think he needs Skid Row, but he is the one up for it while SR has continued to bury their legacy.

Just listening to Sabo talk about Harnell and Solinger in this interview makes me dislike him even more. With every nice comment he makes, he says something else shitty, and it just seems that the reason they cannot hold on to a singer is because those three are too controlling and want a puppet to manipulate as their front man. God I hope they can see value in Erik as a creative person and let go of their attitude of "we do things this way, and we ain't gonna change".

As Seb says at the end of this video, he has worked with a lot of people who have no issue with him, and the last time these guys were even in the same room together was during the 90s, so what he was like now and what he was like then are not necessarily the same. We all know he is loud, cocky and opinionated (plus can be annoying), but you only have to look at his social media to see that Seb now is not the Seb who wore a "AIDS kills fags" t-shirt, many years ago.

I hope to god this works out for Erik, and I would love to hear some cool as fuck Skid Row music again, but I am not convinced this will work out, sadly.

We are all too old and too ugly to be holding onto grudges, and these guys need to learn that. If the guys in GNR and Motley can put aside their feelings to work things out, if Eddie and Dave could put aside theirs, and Ozzy and Sabbath could put aside theirs, then so can these miserable old bastards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Yer getting old and memory is failing, Geoffrey.

I think he's overqualified to be in Skid Row, I understand it's like his dream come true, but he needs to be in a fresh band, that plays more modern sounding shit, or they need to change their name and upgrade their sound, Id hate to see Erik's endless talent squandered on Skid Row, I'm not a huge fan, I think they should've thrown in the towel after STTG, or at the least Sub Human Race, maybe by some small remote chance, they will let him write the songs and the could become relevant again, but i'm not holding my breathe.

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Or do the band smarten up and realise that Gronwall can probably offer them a hell of a lot more than they can him, musically speaking?

This is exactly what I thought when I saw this news. Skid Row are thirty years removed from their prime. Erik is still very much in his. Skid Row has everything to gain from this; on-the-other-hand, this could end up being the worst thing for Erik.

• Like 1

Are they gonna play Beat Yourself Blind on the upcoming tour, that song is the best. 

Skid Row without Bach is fucked, but I truly understood why they don't want him back; when after a few years ago on blabbermouth, Bach would on multiple occasions go on to the blabbermouth comment section, drunk off his ass and pick fights with people and call them cocksuckers. It was both hilarious and sad at the same time.

I'm guessing Erik is just replacing zp's vocals without having any hand in the writing for this new album.  At the rate they release albums and the rate they go through singers I'm guessing this will be Erik's only Skid Row album, I mean if he can last in the band 'til it gets released.  More curious than excited to hear the new song.

22 hours ago, Glen said:

I'd go 

Yes, but just for Erik. But I really  do Love the debut and really like Slave.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterS said:

Not listened to Skid Row in years. This might make me give them another go. 

Yeah I feel exactly the same...i'll give it a go because of Erik...although I'm not a fan of the New Horizon stuff he just released.

• Like 1

I dunno, the more I think about this it looks like the grass wasn't greener post HEAT and Erik was a bit lost.

Then maybe one of the SR guys saw the American Idol clip and thought "why not? Adds a flavour to the band and will get some press"
If that actually happened then props to them. Do what you gotta do to survive and move forward.
But unless Erik comes out and says "SR were my favorite band, I feel like Ripper Owens" then it's probably just a phase.

Out of pure curiosity, there's no stat fiends here that would have HEAT's worldwide sales figures compared to worldwide sales figures for the most recent Skid Row albums/EPs? 

Maybe I should check Google myself, actually... 

23 hours ago, tts42572 said:

New tune is pretty good!  Sounds like it the Skid Row debut mixed with Gronwall HEAT.

I like it much better than the New Horizon stuff, that's for sure ;)

Disagree. I found it pretty weak.

Just listened to the song again, and at 2:09 I thought they were starting to play Rattlesnake shake.

Edit: actually the more I listen to it the more I hear little exerpts of other songs from the debut. A bit of Sweet little sister here, some Piece of me there.

Edited by Captain Howdy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Just listened to the song again, and at 2:09 I thought they were starting to play Rattlesnake shake.

Edit: actually the more I listen to it the more I here little exerpts of other songs from the debut. A bit of Sweet little sister here, some Piece of me there.

I had similar thoughts when I listened to it with regards to being reminded at times of the style from the debut.  I was pleasantly surprised that they went in that direction and I enjoyed it more than I was expecting to

4 minutes ago, Crazysam said:

I had similar thoughts when I listened to it with regards to being reminded at times of the style from the debut.  I was pleasantly surprised that they went in that direction and I enjoyed it more than I was expecting to

The style hit me straight away as being similar to the debut, but listening back to it a couple of times and I think they have purposely dropped in little segments of various songs to emphasise it. I might be over analysing it, but that's how it sounded to me.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I've listened to this all the way through twice.You'd think if they're going to debut a new song w/ their new singer they'd give the guy a lot better tune to sing.The music is nothing special and the song itself lackluster.I hope for SR fans sake that there are better tunes on the cd than this.Still I think anything short of Bach coming back just isn't going to suffice for their diehards.

• Like 1