1998 - Choose your album

auslander

Fuel demonstrated that post-grunge could be extremely melodic and is my pick for 1998. I never tire of the song Shimmer, which is my favourite. 

This was a good year and I also love Steelhouse Lane, Backyard Babies, Big Bad Wolf and Jailhouse. Any of these releases could be my #1 any other week.

Well that is glaringly obvious. Steelhouse Lane by a football field. 'Still' is my favourite track. 

Charade and Big Bad Wolf both fine efforts too. 

Love the Jailhouse album, but when I catalogue my albums I put albums like that (and Loud & Clear in the 1997 list) in my 1989 list. May have been released in 1997, but nothing about that was recorded in 1997. 

steelhouse Lane, obviously

but I gotta say I played that Monster Magnet a ton. I loved that album and saw them on that tour. Absolute classic gig. Loud, raucous, anthemic, burning guitars, more bitches on stage than band members. Proper rock gig. Lives long in the memory :bowdown:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Love the Jailhouse album, but when I catalogue my albums I put albums like that (and Loud & Clear in the 1997 list) in my 1989 list. May have been released in 1997, but nothing about that was recorded in 1997. 

It's a fair point but no one heard it in 1989 because it wasn't released until 1998...

• 2023 Gold Donors

As it stands, Jailhouse is the only one I've heard from this picture, but heard Steelhouse Lane for the first time on YouTube just now... I think I know what I'm looking for next!!!  They sound right up my alley!

Oh yeah, favorite track from the Jailhouse is Long Way Up!

20 minutes ago, auslander said:

It's a fair point but no one heard it in 1989 because it wasn't released until 1998...

Yeah, defo. It's just the way I set up my playlists. All set up for when the music was recorded. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SessionWulf said:

As it stands, Jailhouse is the only one I've heard from this picture, but heard Steelhouse Lane for the first time on YouTube just now... I think I know what I'm looking for next!!!  They sound right up my alley!

Oh yeah, favorite track from the Jailhouse is Long Way Up!

You are in for a treat. Second disc from Steelhouse Lane is just as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, "Steelhouse Lane", no question. 

Favourite track is "Surrender", no question. 

As close as you can get to a perfect song.

Yeah, it was always between that one and 'Still' for me. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Man, tough year as I liked basically nothing here.

I'll say Fuel though as I dug Shimmer quite a bit so will give that the nod.

Having a fair idea of your tastes and seeing your reply in the 1999 thread too, am I too assume you've never heard Steelhouse Lane?