1991 - Choose your album

auslander

26 minutes ago, nyoilers said:

Metallica-Sad But True

Killer track. I love Wherever I May Roam the best but there are so many brilliant tracks on that album. I think it has become "cool" to hate on the Black Album in recent years but I am happy to say I still love it.

• Like 1

This is a tough one for but in the end I am going with the Use Your Illusion albums (which should have been one double album). Also if you took the best songs from each and made one album it would be one of the all-time greats:

Live and Let Die

Don't Cry

November Rain

The Garden

Dead Horse

Garden of Eden

Bad Apples

Coma

Civil War

Yesterdays

Knockin on Heaven’s Door

Breakdown

You Could Be Mine

Estranged

My favourite track is Estranged. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Harem Scarem. Fuck the montage. ;}

They need to stay underrated in all things and a band only the select few know about. It is their destiny :p

Just seeing those covers reminds me of how much the rock & metal scene was starting to change at the time.   Other than the grunge albums, I had several of those releases in heavy rotation, but if I had to chose just one it would be Skid Row. 

If I recall correctly auslander, you started a thread awhile back on funk metal, I noticed Dancin' On Coals is included in this montage.   I've always considered that one of the best of that style.  Was wondering what you thought of that album. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Crazysam said:

Just seeing those covers reminds me of how much the rock & metal scene was starting to change at the time.   Other than the grunge albums, I had several of those releases in heavy rotation, but if I had to chose just one it would be Skid Row. 

If I recall correctly auslander, you started a thread awhile back on funk metal, I noticed Dancin' On Coals is included in this montage.   I've always considered that one of the best of that style.  Was wondering what you thought of that album. 

Big fan! Bang Tango were pretty unique weren't they. Bit of sleaze, bit of Funk, bit of goth, mix it all up. Leykis posted a Bang Tango doco link a little while back that was a good watch, if a little sad and cringey sometimes.

54 minutes ago, Crazysam said:

Just seeing those covers reminds me of how much the rock & metal scene was starting to change at the time.   Other than the grunge albums, I had several of those releases in heavy rotation.

Wait till you see 1992... 

• Haha 1

Holy shitballs, that's probably the toughest one yet. 

Saw the first line and thought, well, Skid Row, or course. Then I noticed Danger Danger down there and thought I had to go with that one, until, sitting on the bottom row, there's an album I just can't go past-

Europe - Prisoners in Paradise ; favourite song is 'Talk To Me' (and the rest - absolutely brilliant album).

Skid Row, White Lion, Tesla, Danger Danger, Shotgun Messiah and LA Guns rounding out the strongest top 7 so far. Mr Big's finest hour worthy of note too...  

Edited by Geoff

2 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, incredibly tough.

I've gotta choose "Slave to the Grind", but that was hard.

Has anyone seen the classic "Meryl Streep" movie "Sophie's Choice"?

I'd compare it with that.

And the favourite song is just as hard. I love the heavy side of this - 'Monkey Business' probably being my favourite of the ballsier tunes. Or 'Livin' on a chain gang,' perhaps? But the three ballads on this one are just other-worldly. I could pick any single one of them as my favourite track from this album on any given day. Today I'd have to go with 'In A Darkened Room.' 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
32 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, incredibly tough.

I've gotta choose "Slave to the Grind", but that was hard.

Has anyone seen the classic "Meryl Streep" movie "Sophie's Choice"?

I'd compare it with that.

I forgot to add "Quicksand Jesus" as my favourite track.

• My Little Pony

If I must play by the rules: Skid Row, with Money Business being my favourite track. 

https://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/topic/33117-1991-best-albums/

9 hours ago, auslander said:

Big fan! Bang Tango were pretty unique weren't they. Bit of sleaze, bit of Funk, bit of goth, mix it all up. Leykis posted a Bang Tango doco link a little while back that was a good watch, if a little sad and cringey sometimes.

I do recall that post with the documentary.  I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but intend to, thanks for the reminder.