10 things we 80s metal fans need to get over in 2022

auslander

*Idea stolen from Loudwire

Things we always whine about and it's getting old (like all of us).

1. Hard rock bands these days are not as big as they were in the 80s. (There will never be another band as big as Motley Crue)

2. Bands who have changed their style from their early albums. (I like their old stuff better than their new stuff)

3. Bands who don't ever change their style for decades. (Ho hum another ACDC album that sounds like ACDC)

4. Bands who sound like classic rock artists or styles. (Send in the clones...)

5. Bands who change members and keep their band names. (Ain't nothin' but a gold digga)

6. Albums being too commercial or not commercial enough. (sell outs or I wish they'd be more radio friendly)

7. New sub-genres not fitting in the scene. (They have a dance beat!!!)

8. Unnecessarily inventing new sub-genres to categorise "rock". (It is neo-AOR-Scandi-glamwave)

9. Grunge "killing" hard rock. (Damn junkies killed my Damn Yankees...)

10. They only released one melodic album so they don't count in our scene. Or, they are slightly too "metal" to be in our scene, or slightly too "pop" to be in our scene. (Judas Priest is out. Metallica is out. Jethro Tull is out. Soundgarden is out...)

I really don't care about any of that as a general rule.
maybe a specific band rotating members may piss me off at times, but I haven't complained about QR, and they prolly deserve it the most.
I just don't listen to them, but they need to make a living and if that is the best way, go for it.
I mean there are a lot of people who gave up on Warrant when Jani died and missed out on a lot of great music.
Same for Gotthard and others.
Even Gun, yep, I like their later stuff.
and there is always new music being made in the exact way that I want it to be made, just takes longer to find it and it isn't being shoved down our throats like it was in the past...

To add, we expect singers of the 80s (and some from the 70s) to sing the same way today. We all PAINFULLY know senior citizens Paul, Don and Vince, for example, can't sing like their former 20 year old selves. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Doug said:

To add, we expect singers of the 80s (and some from the 70s) to sing the same way today. We all PAINFULLY know senior citizens Paul, Don and Vince, for example, can't sing like their former 20 year old selves. 

That's true.
And in the case of Vince for example, the only issue I had was spending money to see him singa nd feeling like I was ripped off.
If he can't pull it off he should stop trying, and he should have stopped many years ago.
Same with Meat Loaf when I saw him like 10 years ago.
First time seeing him and I wanted to sing along with the songs I loved.
But he changed the way they were sung and everyone was confused lol

17 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

That's true.
And in the case of Vince for example, the only issue I had was spending money to see him singa nd feeling like I was ripped off.
If he can't pull it off he should stop trying, and he should have stopped many years ago.
Same with Meat Loaf when I saw him like 10 years ago.
First time seeing him and I wanted to sing along with the songs I loved.
But he changed the way they were sung and everyone was confused lol

I hear 'ya on Vince, but watching his band, especially Zoltan Chaney on drums, priceless! 

18 hours ago, Doug said:

I hear 'ya on Vince, but watching his band, especially Zoltan Chaney on drums, priceless! 

Is that the drummer who goes nuts waving his arms around and putting on a big show?
If so I've seen some clips and he's mesmerising :) 

• My Little Pony
17 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Is that the drummer who goes nuts waving his arms around and putting on a big show?
If so I've seen some clips and he's mesmerising :) 

Yarp. 

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Doug said:

I saw him at a very small venue, with Slaughter. It's incredible the physicality of his drumming, while never missing a beat. 

Yeah, me too. It was hard to watch Mark or Dana when Zoltan's doing his thing. ;}