Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Dead Planet

Streaming has killed the goose that laid the golden egg. People will say on this site "oh, but I listen to new music all the time". Yeah, but it is consumed like hamburgers. There is no relationship to be had with a virtual product. It is all lost when you replace your phone for a new one or even earlier when you stream playlists of random songs someone has chosen for you and then forget about them and move on.

And streaming doesn't sound as good no matter how much people want to be deluded that compressed files are the same quality as a compact disc. It just isn't.

One day there will be a revival I expect of music having more meaning culturally again. I don't think it is this hipster and boomer led vinyl resurgence, which is just going to the opposite end of making music less convenient than ever again. But it will come, I am hopeful, led by bands and fans who will reject the destruction of their love of rock by streaming.

• My Little Pony

Yeah, but, like the article argues, the issue is multifaceted. 

One of the problems I have noticed the most is how little support new music gets, especially when it's new music from old bands. I recall listening to the local Classic Rock station a couple years ago, and they were talking about the most recent AC/DC album. And at the end of the conversation they played "Thunderstruck." I thought to myself, I don't even care for AC/DC, but why the fuck wouldn't you play a song from that new record you were just talking about? 

And that was just one incident. It happens countless times. Radio DJs are terrible. 

Why would you not play new music from the old bands that are already frequently being played on your station? Or why would you not showcase new bands playing the same genre? Wouldn't you want to keep that music alive? 

It's frustrating. I'm just glad I have this community to keep me informed, while I remain ignorant to all the 'new' trends.

;}

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Yeah, but, like the article argues, the issue is multifaceted. 

One of the problems I have noticed the most is how little support new music gets, especially when it's new music from old bands. I recall listening to the local Classic Rock station a couple years ago, and they were talking about the most recent AC/DC album. And at the end of the conversation they played "Thunderstruck." I thought to myself, I don't even care for AC/DC, but why the fuck wouldn't you play a song from that new record you were just talking about? 

And that was just one incident. It happens countless times. Radio DJs are terrible. 

Why would you not play new music from the old bands that are already frequently being played on your station? Or why would you not showcase new bands playing the same genre? Wouldn't you want to keep that music alive? 

It's frustrating. I'm just glad I have this community to keep me informed, while I remain ignorant to all the 'new' trends.

;}

There aren't any radio DJs really. Aren't there only like 4 stations and everything is pre-programmed and syndicated Australia-wide as far as music goes with some local "host presenters"? I don't listen to the radio though, so I could be wrong.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I think it may be a generational thing, whichever the way the pendulum swings.

In the past the new music of the "kids" was always more popular than the "Golden Oldies".

The worm seems to have turned.

I reckon in times to come, the "new" music now, will become the "old" music that's more popular than the "new" music of the time.

Rinse and repeat until the pendulum swings again.

Edited by Darkstone