Warrants Cherry Pie

Leykis101

6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

One thing we can all agree on is that this album is one of the greats.

Most certainly,,,still getting very regular spins here30 plus years later...classic

• Like 4

Even though the song Cherry Pie has always divided opinions amongst the Warrant fans, it's a fact that that song not only is one of their biggest hits but also helped propel the album to becoming their highest selling album to date. So i guess most rock fans did love and enjoy the track. 

'Mr. Rainmaker' is also one of my fave Warrant songs, it's A killer tune but i personally don't think this song or Blind Faith could have done better than the title track or 'I Saw Red'. As good as these songs were, they didn't exactly have 'single' potential in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, auslander said:

I think 99% of bands would kill to have the success of a song like Cherry Pie. 

Yeah, it's not my favourite Warrant track, but it certainly sold a lot of their albums, and I like to think those people who bought the album cause of Cherry Pie found a lot of other great tracks on it to enjoy. 

I personally think Jani Lane felt underappreciated as a songwriter and partially blamed that on the huge success of Cherry Pie. But I also think the song is fine. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. 

did it though. Most people I know dismissed the band as a joke because of that song. 

I did myself tbh. it wasn't until years later that I heard the rest of the album. 

7 hours ago, Glen said:

did it though. Most people I know dismissed the band as a joke because of that song. 

I did myself tbh. it wasn't until years later that I heard the rest of the album. 

That's strange cause they had a huge hit with the DRFSR album before it, so they weren't a new band. 

I guess I am a bit of a fanboy though so I am biased. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Glen said:

Cherry Pie is probably the worst song on that album.

It's almost embarrassing that the average non rock follower only knows this band for that one song. 

I know Jani Lane agreed with you, Ive been watching reaction videos on youtube of cherry pie, so I decided to see if any other videos had been reacted to, there was one Down Boys reaction, even he said he'd never heard another song by Warrant and hoped it would be as good as Cherry Pie, it's used in tittie clubs, that's where a lot of them younger ones know it from, lol

13 hours ago, Ponen said:

Even though the song Cherry Pie has always divided opinions amongst the Warrant fans, it's a fact that that song not only is one of their biggest hits but also helped propel the album to becoming their highest selling album to date. So i guess most rock fans did love and enjoy the track. 

'Mr. Rainmaker' is also one of my fave Warrant songs, it's A killer tune but i personally don't think this song or Blind Faith could have done better than the title track or 'I Saw Red'. As good as these songs were, they didn't exactly have 'single' potential in my opinion. 

Really bro, I dont think it wouldve been possible for anyone to write a bigger song then Cherry Pie

8 hours ago, auslander said:

That's strange cause they had a huge hit with the DRFSR album before it, so they weren't a new band. 

I guess I am a bit of a fanboy though so I am biased. 

yeah but the problem is they were big in US  - Heaven reached no 1 , but in UK that single did nothing - reached 93 in the chart so they were relatively unknown at that point. 

Also in 1989 there were a few other bands which were holding my attention more 🤣🤣🤣👍

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, martinsane said:

DRFSR has the best output from Jani and the Warrant band.

There isn't a song on Cherry Pie that can touch 32 Pennies or Big Talk, but hey to each their own.

I dunno mate, "Dog Eat Dog" isn't too shabby.

6 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

I dunno mate, "Dog Eat Dog" isn't too shabby.

Yeah, I love almost everything on the first three albums, but Dog Eat Dog, imo, is far better than the first two combined, regardless of how much I love them. 

Just on 32 Pennies, I'd have to list that as the weakest song on the debut and therefore one of their weakest songs on the first three albums, and I could never figure out, for the life of me, why it was released as a single from an album full of other potential hit singles. A mystery that haunted me ever since I heard it was a single which, of course, tanked. Who on earth was in charge of such a terrible decision? 

• Like 1

Albums -

1. DED

2. Cherry Pie

3. DRFSR

Fave Top 10 Songs - 

1. All my bridges are burning

2. Heaven

3. Big talk

4. Quicksand

5. Mr. Rainmaker

6. I saw red

7. The bitter pill

8. Let it rain

9. Uncle Tom's cabin

10. Sad Theresa

Edited by Ponen
  • Like 1

I think Down Boys being so played out and normal to everyone, people fail to remember what an incredibly geniunly good song it is, like the first time I heard that, I remember where I was at, I was on the school bus headed to school, and it came on the radio, I always had my Walkman on, and I just couldn't believe how cool this new song was, and how different it sounded compared to all the other stuff they were playing, it was almost as mind blowing as when In the same exact scenario, Blue Tears Crush came on, with that my jaw hit the ground, but I think Jani was different because where he would write sex lyrics, he did it in an interesting way, for the most part, it had some clever and witty quality to it that I cant think of another band who replicated it. I also like In The Sticks, and as you all know, my fav Warrant song is Ode To Tipper Gore, thats just shear brilliance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leykis101 said:

I think Down Boys being so played out and normal to everyone, people fail to remember what an incredibly geniunly good song it is, like the first time I heard that, I remember where I was at, I was on the school bus headed to school, and it came on the radio, I always had my Walkman on, and I just couldn't believe how cool this new song was, and how different it sounded compared to all the other stuff they were playing, it was almost as mind blowing as when In the same exact scenario, Blue Tears Crush came on, with that my jaw hit the ground, but I think Jani was different because where he would write sex lyrics, he did it in an interesting way, for the most part, it had some clever and witty quality to it that I cant think of another band who replicated it. I also like In The Sticks, and as you all know, my fav Warrant song is Ode To Tipper Gore, thats just shear brilliance.

I wonder if 'Down Boys' ever even made it onto Australian airwaves back in the day. I'd doubt it. :(

Anyway, I want to have fun like Ponen too-

Albums-

1. Dog Eat Dog

2. Cherry Pie

3. DRFSR

Songs-

1. All My Bridges Are Burning

2. Quicksand

3. April 2031

4. Uncle Tom's Cabin

5. Mr Rainmaker

6. Andy Warhol Was Right

7. Big Talk

8. Sometimes She Cries

9. I Saw Red

10. Let It Rain

• Haha 1

I mean, people are gonna hate mine probably...

Albums-

1. Cherry Pie

2. DRFSR

3. Belly To Belly

4. Rockaholic

Songs-

1. Stronger Now

2. Sad Theresa

3. I Saw Red

4. Cherry Pie

5. Letter To A Friend

6. Home

7. Inside Out

8.  Let It Rain

9. Chameleon

10. Life's A Song

11. Heaven

12. High

13. Sometimes She Cries

14. April 2031

15. Uncle Tom's Cabin

10 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, I love almost everything on the first three albums, but Dog Eat Dog, imo, is far better than the first two combined, regardless of how much I love them. 

Just on 32 Pennies, I'd have to list that as the weakest song on the debut and therefore one of their weakest songs on the first three albums, and I could never figure out, for the life of me, why it was released as a single from an album full of other potential hit singles. A mystery that haunted me ever since I heard it was a single which, of course, tanked. Who on earth was in charge of such a terrible decision? 

I don't remember 32 Pennies being a single (just Down Boys, Heaven and Big Talk late in the albums run), but regardless it was a real solid opening song to an album of otherwise unscippable and very well crafted songs. A complete outing imho.

Still going to disagree with the lot of you and know that I would have been happy if DRFSR was the only offering from Warrant.

Even though I did like "Your the Only Hell Your Mamma Ever Raised of CP, but that is a 1 off as the first half of the CP disc is really uneventful for me and that UTC track is really not great sans the heavy guitar lick in the verse, but big whoop. 

Warrant was kind of like Pearl Jam, 10 is perfect and over the next 32 albums there may be a song or 2 that if you cherry picked you could create another album...

1.Cherry Pie
2.DED
3.DRFSR

1. Mr. Rainmaker
2. Thin Disguise
3. Uncle Tom's Cabin
4. All My Bridges
5. Bed Of Roses
6. I Saw Red
7. Down Boys
8. Big Talk
9.  Stronger Now
10. The rest of the Ballads from the first 3 albums

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martinsane said:

I don't remember 32 Pennies being a single (just Down Boys, Heaven and Big Talk late in the albums run), but regardless it was a real solid opening song to an album of otherwise unscippable and very well crafted songs. A complete outing imho.

Still going to disagree with the lot of you and know that I would have been happy if DRFSR was the only offering from Warrant.

Even though I did like "Your the Only Hell Your Mamma Ever Raised of CP, but that is a 1 off as the first half of the CP disc is really uneventful for me and that UTC track is really not great sans the heavy guitar lick in the verse, but big whoop. 

Warrant was kind of like Pearl Jam, 10 is perfect and over the next 32 albums there may be a song or 2 that if you cherry picked you could create another album...

Looks like I might be wrong about '32 Pennies.' I can't find it as a single on either Wikipedia or a video on Youtube, so must be dud info. Weird, because I remember hearing it was a single a long time ago, but also very recently in an interview with, I think it was Beau Hill. Either he, or one of the actual members of Warrant. Either way, someone directly involved with the album was saying how it was the first single from the album and it tanked completely, explaining how the album was slow to take off. Seems odd it could have tanked so much there's not even a record of it ever being released, so must be dud info. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Looks like I might be wrong about '32 Pennies.' I can't find it as a single on either Wikipedia or a video on Youtube, so must be dud info. Weird, because I remember hearing it was a single a long time ago, but also very recently in an interview with, I think it was Beau Hill. Either he, or one of the actual members of Warrant. Either way, someone directly involved with the album was saying how it was the first single from the album and it tanked completely, explaining how the album was slow to take off. Seems odd it could have tanked so much there's not even a record of it ever being released, so must be dud info. 

No it was never a single, their were 4 singles released off DRSFR, Down Boys, Heaven, Big Talk, Sometimes She Cries, respectively, 32 Pennies was never released as a single, that doesn't mean it didn't get played on the radio, just depends what station it was, but no there was never a video for it, and in 1989 not every single got a video, sometimes when you'd start getting up into a 4th or above single, the video money ran out,

• 2023 Gold Donors
14 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

I mean, people are gonna hate mine probably...

Albums-

1. Cherry Pie

2. DRFSR

3. Belly To Belly

4. Rockaholic

Songs-

1. Stronger Now

2. Sad Theresa

3. I Saw Red

4. Cherry Pie

5. Letter To A Friend

6. Home

7. Inside Out

8.  Let It Rain

9. Chameleon

10. Life's A Song

11. Heaven

12. High

13. Sometimes She Cries

14. April 2031

15. Uncle Tom's Cabin

I also love "Rockaholic" 

I've always been a huge Robert Mason fan and he can do no wrong in my book.

I particularly love track number 4.   ;) 

4 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I also love "Rockaholic" 

Why dont you marry him?? seriously though, you should go chat him up on FB, he's one of the most social dudes on there, he chats with everyone all the time, seems pretty cool,

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I also love "Rockaholic" 

Never ever really tried Lynch Mob I am pretty sure.
When I heard him with Warrant, for me, it was the first time I'd heard him sing (probably)
Many people hang on to the past - refuse to listen to Skid Row without Bach, etc
I am generally able to go in with a clean slate and thought what Warrant did on Rockaholic was incredible.

• Like 1