Digital-only releases, yay or nay?

heavyharmonies

Should authorized digital-only releases be included on the main site?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Asking because I received an inquiry. It seems we revisit this issue every few years, but the state of the industry and opinions change, so it doesn't hurt to revisit the issue.

I know that the main HH site is focused primarily on physical media releases, but as the world goes increasingly digital, if we limit the database to physical media releases only, we run the risk of being increasingly irrelevant (even more than the musical genres we love already are).

I personally don't see a problem in including digital-only releases in the main site DB as long as:

• They are authorized, i.e., released by the band or a record label. No fileshares, torrents, etc.
  • They have cover art,
  • They are clearly labeled as a "Digital Release" in the listing.

See this example:

https://heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/glamcd.cgi?BandNum=53&CDName=Leppard on the Loose

Thoughts, suggestions?

I must admit my first reaction was to vote NO but on reflection, people are making good points about digital only releases and while I will not be buying those releases, there isn't a good reason to not have them on the site as long as they are clearly labeled as digital only....

• Like 1

Sure, why not?

The day is probably coming when everything will be mostly digital/streaming anyways.

I know I don't buy many CDs anymore.  It's all USB sticks and/or streaming for me.  So while there was a time when I would scoffed at a digital only release, I don't think I'd frown on it anymore being how things have changed.

For me Yes,but not personally as I prefer the disc myself and very rarely get the digital version(unless its a package type job) but I don't see why digital content can't be included if a band goes for digital only.

• Like 1

I can't see any possible reason why anyone would say no. Honestly. If I released music on the underside of my scrotum (it's in the works) I'd expect to see it on this site, if the actual music is relevant to the site, of course. 

That's a tough one , as I got a foot in both camps. 

Physical copies , you read what guest played on it and read who or I am in thanks list.

Where digital, I have to move with time. As most new cars these days don't have player in it , but place where your USB stick goes in.

As an elitist my first, second and third reaction was a resounding no.

But then after a little self reflection and attesting that I don't have to have a hard drive of beeps, bits and squeals made it OK.

As mentioned clearly noting the format is key.

I believe we have some "Band Made CDR's" onsite as well, but as stated those are official releases and no other format.

While we are going down the rabbit whole, why not include cassette's? Maybe even vinyl? But the caveat would be that the release fits the parameters of the site and no other format exists, cuz at the end of the day its getting the cool bands seen and known to the elite crowd that resides herein.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Serious selective consideration for vinyl/and or cassette releases should be given especially for bands already in the database who have missing pieces in their discography.Nothing more annoying then seeing absent/omitted releases under any band page.Not saying open up the floodgates for every single cassette or vinyl only release to make the job here harder for those updating the site but if for anything continuity and completion.

I'm not against digital-only being added to HH.I've noticed over on the Metal Archives'  (not that HH copies anyone,because we don't) I've seen a fair amount of those in their database.My 2 pennies worth.

It's a yes from me.

Does this mean we should also have a poll on the inclusion of cassette/vinyl only releases?  There are plenty of killer EPs and albums that were released on these formats that never had a CD release.

• 2 weeks later...