Ronnie Atkins - Make It Count

Stefan

• My Little Pony
9 hours ago, Eric3 said:

That's a really fucking good song and yet another example of what happens when record labels take a hands-off approach and just let these talented musicians cook. Ronnie's situation is obviously different than most but his songs are genuine and as a listener, I appreciate that.

Yeah, but just think how much better it could be if ADV wrote and produced it.

;}

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got this on Thursday and took a few spins of it over the last few days at work...Very good album,a continuation of the debut and more melodic side of Pretty Maids.The opening track "I've Hurt Myself(By Hurting You)" is brilliant,"Rising Tide" has a similar vibe to recent PM,nice balladry "Remain To Remind Me" & "Let Love Lead The Way",I love the track "Blood Cries Out" nice build up to that one,then the Nerve tingling "Make It Count" as already mentioned...although is it me or does it sound like "I Will Survive" at around the 2.45 part? perhaps intentional...anywho...very good disc,enjoying it quite a bit.

• Like 1

Fantastic album as with the debut. No weak tracks on here at all with my faves being

I've Hurt Myself (By Hurting You)

Rising Tide

Remain To Remind Me

Easier To Leave (Than Being Left Behind)   .....(You'll be singing this one for weeks ;))

Make It Count

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jez said:

Fantastic album as with the debut. No weak tracks on here at all with my faves being

I've Hurt Myself (By Hurting You)

Rising Tide

Remain To Remind Me

Easier To Leave (Than Being Left Behind)   .....(You'll be singing this one for weeks ;))

Make It COunt

Great stuff,I will be spinning it tomorrow with CD landing Sat :)

2nd spin today. He's really excelled himself this time. I'd go out on a limb and say this is better than any Pretty Maids album 

Really is great stuff - every song is a winner 🏆 

• Like 1

Have given this a few listens so far....pretty good and feels right in line with the first album to me.

My favs are Hurt Myself, Remain to Remind Me, Tracks We Leave Behind, Easier to Leave & Make It Count.  And I'd say Tracks We Leave Behind is probably my favorite on the album.  

I wish I liked the heavier tunes a little more (Rising Tide, Blood Cries Out) but not caring for those tunes.  And there's 1 or 2 other tunes that just aren't grabbing me much.

Pretty good though.

Edited by tts42572

4 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Have given this a few listens so far....pretty good and feels right in line with the first album to me....maybe slightly better.  

My favs are Hurt Myself, Remain to Remind Me, Tracks We Leave Behind, Easier to Leave & Make It Count.  And I'd say Tracks We Leave Behind is probably my favorite on the album.  

I wish I liked the heavier tunes a little more (Rising Tide, Blood Cries Out) but not caring for those tunes.  And there's 1 or 2 other tunes that just aren't grabbing me much.

Pretty good though.

really? I pretty much love every tune. 

Hmmm, interesting. Very early days but initial thoughts that it was quite a bit off the debut. Great album, of course. It's Ronnie Atkins, so it goes without saying. But the debut seems quite a lot better according to my first thoughts. 

'Hurt Myself' is a killer opener... not as keen on the climate change song as others here. The subject matter just irritates me, lol. 

3 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

This is a killer album! Didn't think it could top One Shot but damn... he did it. 

I think it's better also

Been listening to this, Kissin' Dynamite and Treat and of the three, this one and Kissin' Dynamite are the easy stand outs. Which isn't a good thing for Treat I guess.

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Been listening to this, Kissin' Dynamite and Treat and of the three, this one and Kissin' Dynamite are the easy stand outs. Which isn't a good thing for Treat I guess.

You already have the Treat album? Doesn't drop for two more weeks. You guys keep getting albums early. Who's breaking the street date?

Yeah, just checked and the one I'm listening to is Ghosts Of Graceland which I missed.
Don't know how this one was regarded 6 years ago, and it if makes my comment above make more sense.

10 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

Yeah, just checked and the one I'm listening to is Ghosts Of Graceland which I missed.
Don't know how this one was regarded 6 years ago, and it if makes my comment above make more sense.

Ghost Of Graceland was excellent. 

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 9:51 AM, Geoff said:

Very early days but initial thoughts that it was quite a bit off the debut. Great album, of course. It's Ronnie Atkins, so it goes without saying. But the debut seems quite a lot better according... 

'Hurt Myself' is a killer opener.

I'm kind of with Geoff here. I think "One Shot" is the superior album, but they're both excellent slabs of melodic rock. The difference between them is somewhat minimal; for example, if "One Shot" was a 9/10 album, "Make It Count" is 8.5/10. That being said, "Hurt Myself" is probably the best song on either album.

20 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Ghost Of Graceland was excellent. 

Hopefully it comes good for me.
I guess for me it's kind of overshadowed by the other 2 albums, which I really dig.

Real / I've Hurt Myself (By Hurting You)

Scorpio / Unsung Heroes

One Shot / Rising Tide

Subjugated / Remain To Remind Me 

Frequency Of Love / The Tracks We Leave Behind

Before The Rise Of An Empire / All I Ask Of You

Miles Away / Grace

Picture Yourself / Let Love Lead The Way

I Prophesize / Blood Cries Out

One By One / Easier To Leave (Than Being Left Behind)

When Dreams Are Not Enough / Fallen

~~~~~~~/ Make It Count

1 hour ago, tobi is an animal said:

Scorpio / Unsung Heroes

One Shot / Rising Tide

Miles Away / Grace

~~~~~~~/ Make It Count

that split is way too black and white imo. A lot in the second half are 50/50. Also Make It Count is brilliant 👏 

At the end of the day which album is better is pretty irrelevant.

What is important is he's released 2 solo albums which stand shoulder to shoulder with the very best of Pretty Maids and that is something he should be very proud of, and us very grateful 🙏 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Glen said:

that split is way too black and white imo. A lot in the second half are 50/50. Also Make It Count is brilliant 👏 

At the end of the day which album is better is pretty irrelevant.

What is important is he's released 2 solo albums which stand shoulder to shoulder with the very best of Pretty Maids and that is something he should be very proud of, and us very grateful 🙏 

Absolutely!

2 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

Scorpio / Unsung Heroes

One Shot / Rising Tide

Miles Away / Grace

~~~~~~~/ Make It Count

I think I'd agree with most of those except I like Tracks We Leave Behind more than Frequency of Love.  I might like All I ask of You slightly more than Before The Rise of An Empire too.  Basically, I give the edge to the first half of the second album and second half of the 1st album.

It's probably splitting hairs like Glen said though.