Gotthard's Trifecta of Greatness

AlphaMale

I have been listening to a lot more music lately being back to work. I decided this was Gotthard week for me. I started with he early albums and then spun the Maeder releases but finished off with 3 outstanding albums in a row in "Lipservice", "Domino Effect" and "Need To Believe".

Lipservice hasn't lost a bit of it's charm and staying power. Just one killer tune after another. My favorites being "All We Are, Life U Up, Cupid's Arrow, I Wonder, Stay For The Night, Anytime Anywhere, and the ballads Everything I Want, Nothing Left At All, and And Then Goodbye. Following up with Domino Effect" which is n't quite as good but damn close. My favs: Master Of Illusion, Gone Too Far, Domino Effect, Falling, The Call, The Oscar Goes...., Tomorrow's Just Begun, Now, and "Where Is Love When Its Gone". 

And then Need To Believe. The last Steve Lee album. And it's superb. My favorites: Unspoken words, Need To Believe, Unconditional Faith, I Don't Mind, Break Away, Don't Let Me Down, Tears To Cry and Ain't Enough.

I really miss this version of Gotthard. They really are a different band now with Nic Maeder and not Steve Lee doing the songwriting. 

• Like 3

My big 3 Gotthard albums were the first 3. They seem to have softened up after that. Still good, but they lost a little of that gritty edge

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-BONE said:

My big 3 Gotthard albums were the first 3. They seem to have softened up after that. Still good, but they lost a little of that gritty edge

I don't know why but I don't really care much for the earlier material. 

2 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

finished off with 3 outstanding albums in a row in "Lipservice", "Domino Effect" and "Need To Believe".

Agreed...but Dial Hard is still an excellent cd...as is the debut...which btw only got me interested at the time as I had not heard of them until I read about them in Powerplay magazine(remember them lol) because of Vivian Campbell's involvement...G was ok but not as good.

The three you mentioned they had hit a groove big style...which with Steve's passing came to an untimely end  :(

Newer stuff is hit and miss..when its good its great...but that doesnt happen that often for me...they have a handful of of really top notch songs since NTB

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, lettard said:

Agreed...but Dial Hard is still an excellent cd...as is the debut...which btw only got me interested at the time as I had not heard of them until I read about them in Powerplay magazine(remember them lol) because of Vivian Campbell's involvement...G was ok but not as good.

The three you mentioned they had hit a groove big style...which with Steve's passing came to an untimely end  :(

Newer stuff is hit and miss..when its good its great...but that doesnt happen that often for me...they have a handful of of really top notch songs since NTB

Bang! was a great disc. 

On 11/20/2021 at 8:58 PM, AlphaMale said:

I have been listening to a lot more music lately being back to work. I decided this was Gotthard week for me. I started with he early albums and then spun the Maeder releases but finished off with 3 outstanding albums in a row in "Lipservice", "Domino Effect" and "Need To Believe".

Lipservice hasn't lost a bit of it's charm and staying power. Just one killer tune after another. My favorites being "All We Are, Life U Up, Cupid's Arrow, I Wonder, Stay For The Night, Anytime Anywhere, and the ballads Everything I Want, Nothing Left At All, and And Then Goodbye. Following up with Domino Effect" which is n't quite as good but damn close. My favs: Master Of Illusion, Gone Too Far, Domino Effect, Falling, The Call, The Oscar Goes...., Tomorrow's Just Begun, Now, and "Where Is Love When Its Gone". 

And then Need To Believe. The last Steve Lee album. And it's superb. My favorites: Unspoken words, Need To Believe, Unconditional Faith, I Don't Mind, Break Away, Don't Let Me Down, Tears To Cry and Ain't Enough.

I really miss this version of Gotthard. They really are a different band now with Nic Maeder and not Steve Lee doing the songwriting. 

agree 100% on those 3. 

• Like 1

Absolutely 3 fantastic albums, but I also really like Human Zoo. Those are my four favorites from them. Lipservice of course being my #1

4 hours ago, The Rocker said:

Absolutely 3 fantastic albums, but I also really like Human Zoo. Those are my four favorites from them. Lipservice of course being my #1

'Human Zoo' is great, but the one that's still escaped a mention even this far down the page, and is apparently the overlooked Gotthard album, is 'Homerun.' I love that album and for me it's a really significant part of their discography because it kind of marked a new direction for the band. I know 'Dial Hard' and 'G' get a bit of adoration, but to me they were just average plodding hard rock albums minus a killer cut on 'G.' And 'Open,' as we know, is a bit of a dud. 

So for me, 'Homerun' was basically their resurrection. Arguably their most "commercial" and possibly melodic album, but laid the groundwork for what followed across the next decade. Criminally overlooked in the Gotthard discography, and one of my personal favourites from these guys.

Anyway, I just noticed I had how I rate them handy, so here it is, minus a couple of the last albums which, to be totally fair, don't really deserve a mention even if I could find where I rated and ranked them;

1. Gotthard
2. Need To Believe
3. Domino Effect
4. Homerun
5. Human Zoo
6. Lipservice
7. Dial Hard
8. Firebirth
9. Bang
10. B-Sides
11. G
12. Open
13. Silver

For the record, those first 6 I rated from 78% for s/t to 74% for 'Lipservice,' though, so 4% across all six albums means I could interchange their positions depending on the day of the week. ;) All class releases. 

12 minutes ago, Kristian said:

1. Dial Hard

2. G.

3. Gotthard

4. Human Zoo

5. Homerun

6. Lipservice

7. Need to Believe

8. Domino Effect

9. Open

Where's Bang, Firebirth, #13, and Silver?? :lol: